Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I've found a war memorial by some wheelie bins!

Andy Wade

Cheers Martin, we will research them all, given time.

They're all 'Men of Worth'.

Well done Andy, glad you are happy at the outcome as it stands at this moment in time.

Cheers Roger.

Indeed Roger.

The Police couldn't have been more helpful, the only problem was what to classify it under (apparently they don't get many 'found' war memorials) and a value to put on it.

I made a guess at a market value of £300 - £400? But I also told him it was priceless to the people of Keighley.

Well done! The 28 days will go by fast I hope & then you can claim it as yours with the blessings of the police. It is puzzling why the shared church did not take the memorial as it has others. We call all rest easier now with the knowledge that it will soon be in safe hands once more & the men on it remembered & honored.

Found another two pictures of men from this memorial:

Willie Robinson Fletcher:

post-9980-0-85788600-1431936747_thumb.jp

Roy Grayston:

post-9980-0-44794300-1431936800_thumb.jp

Apparently there are legal steps to be taken to make any changes in an Anglican parish church. They are not insuperable but can be at least very time consuming. That might explain why the memorial was not simply installed in the new location when the churches merged and was perhaps left in the care of a church member.

Keith

Two more pictures of men from this memorial:

William Edward Laycock:

post-9980-0-19124200-1431937503_thumb.jp

James Kilner Nicholson. (we've also just found living relatives for this man):

post-9980-0-91138500-1431937579_thumb.jp

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right and that's what happened in this case Keith. There are Anglican church memorials in the 'Shared Church' from other local churches that have long been demolished, but no memorials for any other denomination.

I'm sure that it wouldn't have been simply a case of "let's put our own memorial up on the wall" when the Methodist congregation moved there.

Andy. William Edward Laycock has a written 5 inch column about him in Victoria Bannisters " Southports Splendid Hearts" can quote it for you if you need it. Ralph.

Oh yes please Ralph, that would be great. I seem to recall that he might have been a newspaper reporter, although I could be confusing him with a William Edgar Laycock.

I can't find the reference now, how frustrating...

Andy here we go with due thanks to Victoria " Laycock William Edward 39234 Private 6th Battalion South Wales Borderers Born Keighley Enlisted Southport kia 1 10 1916 formerly 34232 Kings Liverpool Regt . Commemorated on Southbank Road Methodist Church Memorial Southport. Listed as William Edgar Laycock in the SWB casualty roll. CWGC information age 25 son of James and Mary Ann Laycock 13 Winterburn St Keighley, husband of Lilian Laycock 41 Caledonia Rd Keighley. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. Information from the Southport Visiter 19 10 1916 (no photo) . A member of the Southport Visiter journalistic staff for over four years. Pte Laycock received his earlier journalistic training at Keighley and Skipton. He was the first local journalist to attest under the Derby Group scheme. He joined the colours in April 1916 and was first posted to the Monmouthshire Regt and afterwards transferred to the SWB. He was drafted to the front after four months training. He was 26 years of age and had been married a little over two years " Ralph.

He married Lilian Dale in 1914, listed on a family headstone Uttley Cem as William Edgar and on SDGW as you know doubt are aware. Ralph

Yes Ralph, that was it. not sure where the name change occurred though. Possibly a typo in the Keighley News, which would be really ironic...

Thank you very much indeed for the transcription. Please pass on my regards to Victoria for this.

I remember seeing his photograph on the board of remembrance at Thiepval Visitor Centre.

Here's a photo of the family grave/memorial to him:

post-9980-0-98168100-1431943836_thumb.jp

Andy. Don't actually know Victoria personally , just that I bought her splendid book as one of "my" men is mentioned therein. Ralph.

Oops. I misread that bit. :blush:

• 1 month later...

I've just returned from the Police station (it's not what you think...)

I now have a 'Bradford Police Property Receipt' from them which states that at 14:00 hrs the Temple Street War Memorial was legally signed over to me.

This means that I am the 'owner' (to be honest I prefer 'temporary custodian') and I can now legally pass it on to Cliffe Castle Museum.

I'll send the museum staff an email about it tonight as they did say that the Accession Committee (or whatever they call the team that accept things for the museum) meets in August, so the timing is good.

It really should go on display with the Temple Street Chapel war memorial stained glass windows that are already on display, but that's just my opinion.

I'll keep you all posted if anything else happens.

We're very nearly there, I can almost taste the newspaper article... :D

Coming along nicely Andy :)

When it's installed (I have absolutely no doubts that it will be) please do take photos in situ.

Indeed I will Kim. Might take a while longer though before that happens. Hopefully not after spending several years in bubble wrap...

That is really good news. Well done Andy. I don't get back to the West Riding as often as I would like, but when this goes on display, hopefully in not too many years, I'll be along to see it in a good home.

Keith

Good Morning Andy,

Quite a saga eh? with what appears will be a totally excellent outcome. It is indeed amazing that it survived at all, having been abandoned near to a wheelie bin!

Well done that man!

Regards,

Robert

Andy,

Well done, congratulations on a happy outcome. Wonder how many have been lost in similar circumstances?

Mike.

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!

I suspect there have been many lost over the years Mike, because nobody recognised them for what they were and they ended up in a skip. I dread to think. Because this one is made of oak rather than metal then that might have protected it a bit more as you can't melt it down for scrap.

We're currently talking to various 'interested persons' about getting it on permanent display along with nine other memorials that are currently in storage and have been for a long time, some over 30 years! A good number of well connected people have expressed interest and offered to write letters of support for us and even possibly pull strings if necessary.

Keith, Robert, I'll be delighted if we can pull it off but it may take a while longer. Softly softly, catchy monkey... I'll be posting on here 'big style' if and when the display/exhibition is made public and would love to see you both there.