Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY, KASSEL

ragnorak72

Could you email me the photos so they are in their original size please?

You are a star. I have to pass on the thanks from the recipient to you.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I am visiting Niederzwehren tomorrow and intended to drive there in a motorhome. Would anyone know whether this is at all possible or should I walk?

Any info sincerely appreciated.

2 hours ago, Stuart Dowden said:

Hi, I am visiting Niederzwehren tomorrow and intended to drive there in a motorhome. Would anyone know whether this is at all possible or should I walk?

Any info sincerely appreciated.

Stuart,

There's a good tarmac road right to the cemetery, and just beyond.  This image is from my DashCam.

1808030075_NiederzwehrenApproach.jpg.864b57e547d08354fb06069884aaff70.jpg

You can turn a car round by the cemetery without any problems but if you've got a goliath of a motor home then that might be tricky!  If you can't turn around then you would have to reverse about 100 metres along a dead straight road to a T-junction, and turn there.  Alternatively turn around at the junction and reverse back to the cemetery!

I've been there twice, in October 2017 and September 2018.  There was a big change in the surrounding area between those dates.  There is now an approach road to this location from junction 6 on the A49 which makes things easier.  However this is to service a large new technology park that is being built in the fields to the east of the cemetery.  This is not obvious from the satellite view on Google Maps - the new roads are marked but appear to be going through fields.  The development is more obvious on Bing Maps - https://binged.it/2YI0FZa - although I think there will be more buildings than this map shows.

Remember to visit the Russian cemetery next door, which has a very different feeling to that of the CWGC cemetery.  Also expect a lot of people to walk past the cemetery, many with dogs.

Regards,

Ian