Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Jack Hardie, Royal Engineers (signal Section)

DoubleD

This is another of the fallen who is commemorated on the Perth Academy War Memorial.

142486, Corporal Jack Hardie, Motor Despatch Rider, Royal Engineers (Signal Section). Killed in France, 15 October 1916. Son of Baillie J.K.M. Hardie, J.P. And Agnes J.N. Hardie of "Eveenbrae" Pettycur Road, Kinghorn, Fife. Buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord. Ref: II. F. 262.

Also a short obituary in Perthshire Advertiser 21 October 1916, which just confirms information above.

As I've said on this forum before I am very new to this. I have already received a tremendous amount of information from others on this forum whose knowledge never ceases to amaze me. But, to my untrained mind, this one seems a bit different. As a despatch rider, is it possible to find out where he was? A lot of the detail I have received before relies on detailed information about battalions etc. and dates of battles.

Will there be information available about people carrying out these type of duties?

Still, would be very grateful for any background information.

Many thanks, Dave

DoubleD

His service record is on Ancestry, and contains a detailed description from the board of enquiry into the circumstances of his death which came about as the result of a collision between his motor bike and an ambulance car. He belonged to "E" Corps Signal Company.

TR