Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

41st Divisional History?

Doug504

Are any members aware of a history of the 41st division in the Great War?

Being from Sunderland I've looked into the movements of the 20th Battalion the D.L.I. but wish to look at the bigger picture of how they related to other units. Alternatively, histories of the 122 - 124th Brigades?

Doug.

None of the above, I'm afraid. As far as I am aware, neither the division, nor the constituent brigades, produced histories.

Doug,

I've have an interest in the 41st and have used the battalion and regimental histories that were published after the war, battalion war diaries, retrospective historical sources such as the books on the 20th D.L.I and the 10th Royal West Surrey's to get an idea of the bigger picture.

There is also Sapper Martin, whose diary covers his time in the 41st Division from September 1916 if I remember correctly.

Stuart

Doug,

I've have an interest in the 41st and have used the battalion and regimental histories that were published after the war, battalion war diaries, retrospective historical sources such as the books on the 20th D.L.I and the 10th Royal West Surrey's to get an idea of the bigger picture.

There is also Sapper Martin, whose diary covers his time in the 41st Division from September 1916 if I remember correctly.

Stuart

Stuart,

thanks for the information,looks like I'll have to go down the same route. I have not read "Sapper Martin" so that's enough excuse to purchase a copy, again thanks for the information.

Doug

• 6 years later...

Do you know anything about 41 div Signals? There was one company of RE ( Signallers) listed in Orbat. I am following up a relative W Chappell. 

cheers
 Chas

Chas,

Worth a read of this Sapper Martin. Served with the 41st Divisions Royal Engineer's Signals although may not mention W Chappell.

Stuart

Stuart; Thanks ever so much indeed for the ref to Sapper Martin - I have read a bit on Google Books and more on Internet Archive. What a moving account of what it was like to be an RE Signaller on the Western Front. 

He mentions being somewhere with a  "Chappell" and Glasspole on 7/4/18 so with a bit of crosschecking I may yet find if, or which, this was of the three Chappell brothers in the Signals rather than a non-signaller from another unit in the Brigade.

In any event his account of a Signaller's life  will give a huge insight into what our relatives would probably have been doing and the conditions they had to cope with.

A great read and I'd recommend it to anyone else who is interested 

Chas .