Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Lusitania' 100th anniversary

kenora

Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of Lusitania. Here in Cobh, ex Queenstown, there are various events happening including wreath laying at the town's Lusitania memorial by the President of Ireland, British and German Ambassadors and the Captain of the Cunarder Queen Victoria, which is visiting for the day. The Lusitania graves at the old churchyard, where many of the victims are buried, have a new monument that is being unveiled. Later there is to be a flotilla of local boats that will follow Queen Victoria out to sea and then return, lit up, in a flotilla to recall the many local boats that came in with the dead and survivors on that fateful day. There are also ceremonies at Kinsale (where some survivors were brought) and a dive on the wreck itself to lay a memorial plaque.

Leonard Peskett was the chief designer for Cunard and was the designer of the Lusitania. On a well known auction site at the moment are Pesketts Great War trio, his OBE and drawing paraphernalia. What a great, historical, collection.

I think there is some doubt over his trio. He had a son also called Leonard who was born in 1894 and it is possible that they could belong to him, but I suppose that makes it all the more interesting.

TR

Remembering three Anglesey victims of the sinking:

Mrs Jane Ellen Howdle, Stewardess age 33, born Seaforth nr Liverpool but family from Pantysaer farm near Benllech, Anglesey, and she is named on that war memorial as well as the North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch, Bangor. Lived at Liscard, Cheshire, and also on that memorial. Buried at Cobh but by error also named on Tower Hill Memorial, London.

Charles Edwin Paynter, First Class passenger age 63, born Amlwch Anglesey. Became a timber broker in Liverpool and lived at Oxton, Birkenhead. He was returning from a business trip with his daughter, who survived the sinking. He may have been struck by wreckage once in the water and drowned. Body recovered and buried in St.Oswald's Churchyard, Bidston, Birkenhead. The late lamented Graham Maddocks (Liverpool Pals author, who was working on a book about the Lusitania when he died) used to lay a floral tribute on his large celtic cross gravestone at Bidston each Christmas.

Owen Owens, Able Seaman age 65, born Holyhead, Anglesey and widow later resident Easby nr Kirkdale. Lost in the sinking, and commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.

Nid a'n ango - Not forgotten

Clive

It was a very dignified service. Various speeches. The chairman of Cunard spoke in detail about the effect of the sinking on public opinion and on the Cunard company. He also listed out all the other Cunard ships lost during the Great War, year by year, and it was sobering stuff. Queen Victoria sounded her siren at 14.10, the exact moment the torpedo struck the ship, and again at 14.28, when she slipped beneath the waves. Last post and reveille as wreaths were laid at the town memorial. I had the good fortune to meet a grandson of a couple who survived the sinking and spoke in great detail to their family about the experience in later years.

I have a friend whose grandfather survived the sinking by clinging to a barrel...here's to those lost that fateful day and those who lived to see another day.

Daniel

Some of my family played a part in the manufacture of the Lusitania, not that, that in itself is important but it gives me additional cause for reflection on that terrible day.

khaki

My Scottish great grandmother saved a postcard of the Lusitania she had mailed in her hayday...not particularly rare or valuable but precious to me:

1964871_10202361285446147_2121915989_n.j

-Daniel

• 7 months later...

I visited Kinsale a few years ago and stood by the memorial looking out to sea on a very wet and windy day. Certainly bought home the horrors of having to survive in the sea on a day like that.