Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When is Snevce not Snevce?

Rockdoc

I am back working on my AA Section war diaries after a long break and, just as I did putting "Monastir" in certain diaries into a realistic context (Bitola being much too far west), I'm having trouble with Snevce, where A Gun of 94th AA Section was nominally sited in June 1917. Snevce has always seemed too far south of the places the diary frequently records as observing planes flying over and engaging at 6,000 yards, such as Sveta Petke (1389/1988 Dova Tepe map) or Sugova (1455/1975) and behind a line of hills, too. I know that you can't rely on the Austrian-produced maps too much but I might have found a solution to the conundrum on the 41° 41° Saloniki map. Where the Allied Dova Tepe map puts Dova Tepe East, the Austrian map has a second Snevce but with the alternative name of Enfidze underneath. It would make far more sense of the diary if the site were somewhere closer to Dova Tepe East.

What does the panel think?

Keith

Keith,

There hasn't been any response to your topic, so I thought I would have a look at the maps and give you my opinion. The problem is I can't find Snevce in the place you suggest on the Austrian 41-41. Then I remembered something I think Adrian mentioned, that there were two editions of the Austrian maps, where did you get your Austrian maps from? I got mine from the Lazarus website.

Oh? I didn't know that. The version I found the info on is from the SCS Trench Map disk. I knew that the British and French used the Austrian maps at the start of the campaign but hadn't heard that alterations were made to them.

Thanks Mark,

Keith

Keith,

Have a look at Adrians posts nos #32 and #33 in this thread:

Maps

The section of map that Adrian posted is the Austrian map from the SCS trench map CD and has the other Snevce where you describe it.

Mark.

• 8 years later...
On 07/05/2015 at 13:33, Rockdoc said:

I am back working on my AA Section war diaries after a long break and, just as I did putting "Monastir" in certain diaries into a realistic context (Bitola being much too far west), I'm having trouble with Snevce, where A Gun of 94th AA Section was nominally sited in June 1917. Snevce has always seemed too far south of the places the diary frequently records as observing planes flying over and engaging at 6,000 yards, such as Sveta Petke (1389/1988 Dova Tepe map) or Sugova (1455/1975) and behind a line of hills, too. I know that you can't rely on the Austrian-produced maps too much but I might have found a solution to the conundrum on the 41° 41° Saloniki map. Where the Allied Dova Tepe map puts Dova Tepe East, the Austrian map has a second Snevce but with the alternative name of Enfidze underneath. It would make far more sense of the diary if the site were somewhere closer to Dova Tepe East.

What does the panel think?

Keith

Dova Tepe 41.255668, 22.895437  Area Kastanoussa ,Sintiki

Svence 41.174363, 22.884501 Area Kentriko ,Kilkis

3 minutes ago, theolander said:

Dova Tepe 41.255668, 22.895437  Area Kastanoussa ,Sintiki

Snevce  41.174363, 22.884501 Area Kentriko ,Kilkis