Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Robinson KORLR

windebrowe

I have this newspaper report from one of my relations, he was wounded in the Dardenelles 1915 and later on July 1st 1916, however from what I can get off the interweb the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Rgt were never at the Dardenelles or were they ?

His Local 6th Bttn Border Rgt landed at Helles 20 July so he could have been transferred after recovering from his first wound or am I barking up the wrong tree, or indeed just barking .

Henry died in 1969 aged 79

Steve

Private Henry Robinson, Dalebottom, Keswick, who enlisted in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Rgt early in the war and was wounded at the Dardanelles, has again been wounded and is in hospital at West Didsbury.

Writing to his sister Mrs Dent, Keswick, he says you will have read about the great advance, we all knew it was coming off for some time, for we had been training hard for the last month or so. The day came at last, and I will never forget it as long as I live . Our artillery had bombarded the German trenches for several days, and it gave us good heart to see the German front line flattened to the ground, but they must have had some awfully deep dugouts, because when we went over the top they had a few machine guns left, and they kept up a rapid fire all the time we advanced. You should have seen our lads go over that Saturday morning, the sun was shining and the morning was lovely. The Germans soon spotted us coming and opened fire on us, but it did not prevent us from going on, although we saw our comrades falling around us. It did not take us long to get into the German front line, and then we got a bit of our own back. The trenches were full of dead Germans which our guns had blown up, and as soon as the remainder saw it was all up they threw up their hands and shouted " Mercy kamerad " ; so we had to take them prisoner. I got hit when I was going for more ammunition, a shell burst in the trench close beside me. I could not speak or hear for about ten minutes, I went down to the dressing station where they soon brought me round. I found I had been hit with a piece of shrapnel in the leg just below the old wound I got at the Dardanelles in August. the present wound is not as bad as the last and I never expected to be brought to England with it, but I was sent straight down the line and on to the hospital ship.

The 6th Battalion of the Royal Lancasters moved to Gallipoli in July 1915 - if Henry is Private 14037 his Medal Index Card shows date of entry to "5a Asiatic" in June - which matches the movements of the 13th Division here.

Mike

6th

I have this newspaper report from one of my relations, he was wounded in the Dardenelles 1915 and later on July 1st 1916, however from what I can get off the interweb the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Rgt were never at the Dardenelles or were they ?

His Local 6th Bttn Border Rgt landed at Helles 20 July so he could have been transferred after recovering from his first wound or am I barking up the wrong tree, or indeed just barking .

6th Bn.(Service) Bn. Kings Own Royal Lancaster in Gallipolli with 13th (Western)Div

Many thanks for this, I will have to start looking with my eyes open in future, I did spot that medal card but when I checked the code I found the code below which threw me, having read the 13th Div history the 5a code now makes sense.

Thanks once again your help is very much appreciated.

Steve

To 31st December 1915 and from 1st January 1916

Code: 2

• a Greek Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria and European Turkey
  • b Gallipoli (Dardanelles)