Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts and Derby SWB at Auction price €2000- €3000

Don

Thanks Mike

Thought it might be worth a fortune! :D

Steve

Looking at this the one in the OP, you might be right - I wasn't !!

Cheers,

Mike

€ 1500,-

One internet bid only

attachicon.gifrising.jpg

I checked the auctioneers and it has been sold for €1500.

Gerry

Hi

Not sure it is sold

if you look at unsold lots you will see it is up for sale with a reduced reserve of 1000 plus commission

http://www.whytes.ie/AuctionPDFs/20150509US.pdf

191. Wound Badge to 1916 Mount Street Bridge battle casualty. €1,000

I was talking to one of the auction staff before auction and he was confident it was as stated, I have bought and sold through Whytes and always found them to be straight upand they do a good bit of authentication of their items for sale.

Maybe buyer pulled out I do not know

regards to all

Ken

Snipped

I was talking to one of the auction staff before auction and he was confident it was as stated, I have bought and sold through Whytes and always found them to be straight upand they do a good bit of authentication of their items for sale.

A number of forum members are confident it is not as stated including the badge's previous owner. It has been proven that the man was not wounded at Mount Street and there is only a 'maybe' that he was even there. Not sure what authentication they could have done, not a lot I'd say as they call it a 'wound badge' so they don't know what it is??????

As for:

A very rare military award to a British soldier injured in this engagement. A SWB selling for €1500 on the basis the man was wounded at Mount Street when in fact he wasn't is hardly authentication.

However, the auctioneers changed the listing before the auction and it seems to me that they did so to reflect what had been worked out by this forum (missing out the bits about him not being wounded there) and yet someone may have still paid out €1500.

All beggars belief

TEW

• 1 year later...

Not been on here for a while for personal reasons; great to be back..looking at threads relating to medalsSWB once in my collection.

I bought his SWB and sold it on ebay; thoroughly researched and he was certainly not wounded but left the army due to psoriasis

Sadly not all books are 100% correct and often taken as gospel. A few mistakes in the Sherwood Foresters in the Easter Rising, and for the poor sod who paid the price.