Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Banjo Paterson

Tom Wales

According to Wikipedia the answer is no.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo_Paterson

"In World War I, Paterson failed to become a correspondent covering the fighting in Flanders, but did become an ambulance driver with the Australian Voluntary Hospital, Wimereux, France. He returned to Australia early in 1915 and, as an honorary vet, travelled on three voyages with horses to Africa, China and Egypt. He was commissioned in the 2nd Remount Unit, Australian Imperial Force on 18 October 1915,[3] serving initially in France where he was wounded and reported missing in July 1916 and latterly as commanding officer of the unit based in Cairo, Egypt. He was repatriated to Australia and discharged from the army having risen to the rank of major in April 1919.[11] His wife had joined the Red Cross and worked in an ambulance unit near her husband.[6]"

Mate,

I record this on him,

PATERSON Andrew Barton Lt 2 Remts 6 Sqn "Banjo" prom Capt 11-15 reported WIA 20-7-16 and MIA in France? prom Maj Sqn OC 10-16 att FRS Ludd 9-18 (Boer War War Correspondent Sydney Morning Herald att NSWL) also War Correspondent in Boxer Rebellion in China and with the US in the Phillippines said to be in France 1915 as Amblance driver Australian Voluntary Hospital and his wife is said to be a Nurse in Egypt famous poet and author "Happy Dispatches" 1934 "The Shearer's Colt" 1936 "Unforgotten" 1940 and "The Dry Canteen" 1940

Author age 49 Austrailian Club Sydney NSW enlisted 13-10-15 RTA 1-4-19

The wounding of Banjo adds some mystery as he is redorded in different articales as wounded in April 1916 or by his file 20th July 1916.

Either way Banjo disappeared from the records with the Remounts in Egypt late 1915 and shows up again with the Remounts in Oct 1916 in Egypt.

His wounding date can only be confirmed by reading a book on him which I have not as yet?

But if July is correct that would put him possibly near the 5th Australian Div attack at Fromelles?

I will have to look further into is?

Cheers

S.B