Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusiliers 1911 census, where?

TEW

Actually I know where but can't find the men in question.

All joined up Feb 1910, some served together in 2nd Bn. Gallipoli. O'Grady is the only man I can find on census. Those missing must be either 1st or 2nd Bn and not showing on census.

L/13934 Cls. Woodroffe. originally 3rd Bn. Entered war with 2nd Bn.

L/13941. H Ashton. Entered war with 2nd Bn

L/13942 John Edward O'Grady -- Shows up with 3rd Bn in Mauritius on 1911 census. Entered war with 3rd Bn.

L/13943 Walter Wickens. Probably entered war with 3rd Bn.

L/13947 Walter Young. Entered war with 2nd Bn.

L/13957 John T Cox. Probably entered war with 3rd Bn.

in 1911 1st Bn were in Dublin, 2nd were in India and 3rd in Mauritius. Can only find the 3rd RF on 1911 census. No sign of 2nd RF in India on census, is it missing?? No listing at all under enumeration district for Ireland.

Thanks

TEW

I've found the 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers in the India Census - but no sign of Woodroffe, Ashton, Wickens, Young or Cox. Two attempts - 30 pages of 30 names. 3 pages of wives, family etc..

Doesn't help not being in alphabetical order.

There was a Bernard Young.

And four Cox's (Thomas, Charles William, Frederick Henry and Henry Joseph).

I might check O'Grady in Mauritius just to check I'm not going blind!

Lie down now,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for looking, how odd. Had assumed they would be 2nd bn and in India. I couldn't find any RF in India via the index/search. So thought it may not have been transcribed or full of errors or something.

O'Grady turns up easily via search function.

TEW

• 4 years later...

Gentlemen interested in your conversation in 2015.

My grandfather was with the 2nd Ban D coy in 1911 and was at the Delhi Durbar his name was G Gore and went through the war finishing in 1919. he had 3 wound strips one of which he sustained in Gallipoli.

do you have a link to the site / pages you are looking at as i am trying to piece some bits together on him whilst my mother (his daughter) is still alive.

Regards

Lee Bott (RRF retired)

2 hours ago, Lee Bott said:

Gentlemen interested in your conversation in 2015.

My grandfather was with the 2nd Ban D coy in 1911 and was at the Delhi Durbar his name was G Gore and went through the war finishing in 1919. he had 3 wound strips one of which he sustained in Gallipoli.

do you have a link to the site / pages you are looking at as i am trying to piece some bits together on him whilst my mother (his daughter) is still alive.

Regards

Lee Bott (RRF retired)

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the Forum,

The 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers were definitely at the Delhi Durbar in 1911 but in what strength I do not know.  I have a BWM to Captain Thomas Duncombe Shafto of the 2nd Bn who was killed at Gallipoli in May 1915 having taken part in the landings in April, 1915.  He is included in the Roll for the Delhi Durbar 1911 as entitled to the medal, your grandfather G.Gore however is not--this does not mean that he was not present it simply means that he was not one of the 'chosen few' from each regiment present which was awarded the medal. (Captain Shafto was from the Shafto family of Beamish Hall, Co Durham.)

Hope this clarifies the point for you,

Best,

Robert

Hi and welcome to the forum.

3 hours ago, Lee Bott said:

do you have a link to the site

Can only link to it if it's a site you subscribe to. On the subscription Genealogy site I'm on a search with criteria surname "Gore" and Optional keywords "Private " and "Fusilers" brings up a 21 year old George Gore, born Hammersmith, London who on the night of the 1911 Census of England & Wales was recorded in Barracks with the rest of the 2nd Battalion at the Hugh Rose Barracks, Jubbulpore, C.P. (India) - India is not indexed on the site I use which is probably why a search based on that might not bring up him or any other man of the 2nd Battalion.

However other Genealogy sites may have indexed the record as India - part of the "joy" of doing Genealogy research is how the major subscription websites have a lot of the same documentation but the same search criteria on each doesn't always bring up the same matches :)

He is on page 5 of an institutional return. Census reference is RG14PN34980 RD641 SD5 ED2 SN9999.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo