Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Johnny gough and forestier-walker?

armourersergeant

Sometimes when i read about the higher command during the war i think that they were like abunch of school kids. So and so didnt like him because of this etc..You have Smith-dorrien and French. Wilson and everybody but especially robertson. Haig was not over keen on Smith-Dorrien.Allenby and Gough were not good and so on and on etc.

Now i have another one ,just read about Smith-Dorrien and his Chief of staff Forestier-Walker. It transpires that Johnny Gough, Haigs Chief of Staff and Forestier-Walker did not like each other.

Anybody out there know why they didnot see eye to eye, I would be interested to know why? and also if you have any info on these two characters i would be intersted.

TA

Arm.

Oh ye i had forgotten that Gough had won the VC, it was in somaliland i think wasnt it around 1904(blimey the little grey cells are still working) and i think gough was shot by a sniper or something in late 1915 whilst on a trip to the front?

What was Forestier-walker like as a commander though?

Arm.

Interesting that F-W only advanced from Brig.Gen to Maj.Gen during the entire course of the war - which seems a bit pedestrian. Perhaps Johnnie's views reflected those of his boss.

Maybe his face did not fit?

All i seem to remember reading about F-W was that he was a able and competant officer which doesnt seem to fit with the fact of his only reaching Divisional level. This has got my attenna raised now and i want to know more about this bloke, anybody got any more info on Forestier-Walker i can chew over.

Has anybody got or read the book printed sometime ago about Johnny Gough it might say in there why he and F-W did not see eye to eye?

Arm.

Managed to find a little out myself for anyone interested!

Not too much but established that Forestier-Walker commanded 21st division at the battle of loos where the division lost heavy casualties then later he commanded the 27th division from around december 1916 this division was later committed to the Macedonian front. He was invalided out on 9/3/19.

As regards the bad feeling with him and Johnny Gough all i can see is that Forestier-Walker served on the staff during the Somaliland expedition where Gough won his VC. It maybe that something occurred here.

Still please any further info appreciated about either man or even the 21st and 27th divisions

thanks.

Arm