Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Pals Memorial at Prescot Station

Stephen Nulty

Lord Derby today unveiled a new memorial commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Liverpool Pals leaving Prescot Station, bound for Grantham

DSCF4239_zps4tj5uxoc.jpg

Dear Stephen,

My husband's great-uncle, James Breingan Robertson McNair (17898) served with the 19th KLR. I know he would love to have high resolution copies of these photographs. Could you send me a PM and I will let you have our email address. We hope to trace Uncle Robbie’s footsteps when we go to Flanders and France in a couple of weeks’ time. Thank you for posting the photographs and for helping us remember the Pals remarkable contribution.

Best wishes,

Jill

Jill

All my pictures from this morning's event are in a Dropbox folder here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/helunhu98bdcwgu/AACSghx0eNbje9AbRQ3uRhqwa?dl=0

Feel free to grab them and share as you see fit

There is a link to a short Pathe film of the event 100 years ago on the home page of my website (see footer)

Stephen, many thanks! Jill

It was an excellent event despite the monsoon conditions; for me the best moment was the rendition of 'Keep The Home Fires Burning' by Hannah Wainwright. It brought a lump to my throat. I should point out that Hannah is my mate Tony's daughter but having heard her sing before I thought it was so fitting. So many of the songs of WW1 are perhaps over familiar and sometimes sound over sentimental to modern ears; however to hear it sung well in context was marvellous. Hannah also led the rest of the attendees in 'Tipperary' and 'Goodbye-ee' which were great too.

Many thanks Stephen for the photographs and the link to the Pathe footage.

Pete.

Ayesha and I would have been delighted to know about the dedication.

We would have loved to be there.

Congratulations on so splendid a new memorial.

Bruce