Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

Anyone need anything looking up from the Loyals' regimental history 1914-19, just ask!

Dave.

Dave

Anything on 2nd Bn, East Africa, 29th September 1915? I might pick your brains a bit more on this Bn as I read my books on the war in Africa.

Cheers

Theo

Theo.

In a nutshell:

5am. Capt.Stokes and party left by armoured train towards Maktau.The train returned to Bura and the party took up positions near the railway at Mile 26-27 (?).

6:10 They were heavily attacked and Capt.Stokes was killed.A platoon of 3 Coy (under Lt.O.E.Almond), hearing firing, headed towards the position and ran into the retreating enemy in thick bush. Fierce hand-to-hand fighting ensued with heavy casualties. German casualties were "3 whites and 30 Askaris killed and British casualties were Capt.Stokes, 2Lt Almond and 12 OR's killed with 5 wounded.

Almonds body was found lying across that of a German white who he appears to have bayonetted.All casualties occured in a very small area.The other platoon (on the far side of the river)had not heard the firing.

Almond's platoon's gallantry was referred to and commended by GOC Nairobi.

dave.

Superb detail. Thanks very much. Someone on a mailing list was asking about this a while back so I can pass this on.

Cheers

Theo

• 1 year later...

Hello Dave

I am researching 26503 Pte. A Barrass, 8th Bn LNL ,died 1/8/1917 and buried at Hooge Crater Cemetery, for a friend. Would it be possible for you to tell me what the battalion was doing around the 1st August 1917.

Best regards

Andy

Would it be possible for you to tell me what the battalion was doing around the 1st August 1917.

Andy.

8/LNL on 1st August 1917 (2 posts)...

Dave.

post-16-1084665517.jpg

...and...

(sorry about the angle of the scan!!!)

post-16-1084665586.jpg

Thankyou very much Dave, exactly what I was looking for.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hughthomas

hi. I am hoping for any information on the 1st bat prior too and on sept 25th 1915. my great grandfather was killed on that day. I know he is listed on loos memorial. Hugh Thomas. Is it possible to find out how , where he died. How would i go about locating any photographs of this battalion, ( Did they take them like school photographs?).

Would there be any documents anywhere that would be worth obtaining for my family?

thank you for any anwer.

Hugh.

The next two posts are the History's account of the month of September 1915 for the 1st Bn...

Dave.

post-16-1086705557.jpg

post-16-1086705627.jpg

How would i go about locating any photographs of this battalion, ( Did they take them like school photographs?).

Would there be any documents anywhere that would be worth obtaining for my family?

If you take a look at the "Grandad's War" (or something similarly titled - I can't remember! :unsure: ) section on the mother site of this forum, you should find the answer to this question.

As an extra, you could contact the regimental archives at Fulwood Barracks in Preston, because they have many documents (and a large collection of platoon and battalion photos) relating to the East ,South and North Lancs. regiments. You'd have to visit them yourself to see them though.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David90

Hi, im a year 9 student who has to research a soldier who died during world war 1, from my local area of manchester. The soldier who i have chosen to research is SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH who fought with the loyal north lancashire regiment [1st batallion] and was born in stalybridge. We have found some information out about him, However any more info about him would be much appreciated. You may wonder why we are researching a soldier who fought for lancashire-thats because he was from my home town. If you do have any SIGNIFICANT INFORMATION ABOUT SERGEANT SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH, please feel free to contact me-via e-mail. my email address is trythis_04@hotmail.com

Thank you very much. :)

Hello Dave - Sorry to bombard you.

I have a soldier on the Bewdley War Memorial who died of wounds in June 1918 with the 1/4th Bn.

Any detail on their activities up to the 16th June 1918 would be great.

Soldiers Died gives his date of death as 1916 - I'm going with CWGC as it makes more sense!

Regards

Simon

Private Edwin Stanley ELLEMENT

1/4th Battalion (Territorial Force) Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

b. Kidderminster e. Worcester

28453 d of w F&F 16/6/16 (CWGC gives date of death as 1918)

formerly 326630 Worcestershire Yeomanry

Aged 19

Son of Henry and Mary Ellement of 4 Dowles Road, Bewdley

Houchin British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

II. G. 3

We have found some information out about him, However any more info about him would be much appreciated....... If you do have any SIGNIFICANT INFORMATION ABOUT SERGEANT SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH, please feel free to contact me-via e-mail.

It'll help if you let me know what you already know so I'm not wasting my time going over old ground.

Cheers,

Dave.

Simon.

Nothing of real importance mentioned in the history for June 1918 (nor for June 1916 either! - just a large scale raid in mid-June). The 1918 entry (following on from a trench raid in mid-May) simply reads:

During June, July and the greater part of August events proceeded more or less normally, with intermittant and heavy bombardments by the enemy and occasional small raids

September 1st is the next entry after this.

Dave.

Hi, im a year 9 student who has to research a soldier who died during world war 1, from my local area of manchester. The soldier who i have chosen to research is SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH who fought with the loyal north lancashire regiment [1st batallion] and was born in stalybridge. We have found some information out about him, However any more info about him would be much appreciated. You may wonder why we are researching a soldier who fought for lancashire-thats because he was from my home town. If you do have any SIGNIFICANT INFORMATION ABOUT SERGEANT SAMUEL BUTTERWORTH, please feel free to contact me-via e-mail. my email address is trythis_04@hotmail.com

Thank you very much. :)

Samuel Butterworth

1st Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Born Stalybridge, Cheshire

Enlisted Hyde, cheshire

Died of wounds 03/07/1916 France and Flanders

Won the DCM

Rank Sergt

Number 7691

http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/details-result.asp?

Name: BUTTERWORTH, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: 7691

Awards: DCM

Additional information: Son of Samuel and Mary Butterworth; husband of Elizabeth Butterworth, of 59, Stocks Lane, Stalybridge. Born Millbrook, Stalybridge.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 20.

Cemetery: LILLERS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=2947357

Guest David90

WOW. thanks very much, the response to my question has been overwhelming, ive recieved at least 6 e-mails. :o

I know all the basics of samuel butterworth-batallion, regiment, birth date, date of death-wher he lived, where he signed up etc and i have got ALL the info off CWGC. If anyone knows anything about the LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT 1st BATTALION then please feel free to contact me. once again my email addy is trythis_04@hotmail.com. I have a lot of information on samuel butterworth, now all i have to do is develop this information. for example he died on july 3rd, what happened on july 3rd?

I have newspaper articles from july 8th about his death and i know about his relatives. If anyone knows any significant information which goes into more detail about our soldier then please contact me, via this website or via email.

Thanks for all your support,

David :)

Guest sats1000

dear david,

funny enough im doing about the same soldier. I would suggest that u try the cwgc website, research about his regiment and finally contact the his minister rev. he is very friendly and will help greatly!

sats1000

Great - thanks! A case of 'all quiet'...where exactly where they at this time??

Simon

Great - thanks! A case of 'all quiet'...where exactly where they at this time??

Simon

Simon.

They were in the Givenchy/Festubert area.

Dave.

for example he died on july 3rd, what happened on july 3rd?

David.

I'm afraid that there is nothing of note mentioned in the Regimental History for July 3rd ,nor for the preceding few days (they were in "transit" to the Somme front and out of the line at this point) apart from mention of a local attack on the German front line on June 30th in the Loos area which resulted in 10 dead ,2 officers and 35 ORs wounded from the 1/LNL. Maybe Butterworth was one of these 35 wounded?

Even though he was a DCM winner, there's no mention of him by name in the index of the history.

Hope this helps,

dave.

David.

Here's his citation for his award of the DCM. (London Gazette May 16th 1916)....

Dave.

post-16-1087769727.jpg

Thanks again Dave.

Simon