Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry.co.uk War Diaries including Gallipoli

Simon_Fielding

So far as I understand it, Ancestry funded (and carried out) the digitisation of the Galliploi diaries themselves (I don't know if there was a cross-licensing deal/part-funding with NMP) - in general with these types of projects images remain Crown Copyright (though I can't actually see a clear statement to that effect at the moment), and so may be re-sold to other providers under fairly well-established pricing arrangements developed under the requirements of EC directives on the reuse of Public Sector Information. I believe there had been a number of complaints about the quality of the images for the versions previously available through DocsOnline/Discovery which is why those were taken down. In itself there is nothing new about this process - the medal rolls are similar in that the digitisation was funded by commercial orgnaisations, and they undertook it as entirely their own project (as opposed to the census digitisations, and the 1939 Register project, undertaken as Licensed Internet Associateships or service concessions, which have a greater TNA involvement, but with the commercial entity still bearing the costs). In all cases, where digitisations involve accessioned Public Records, originals never leave Kew, and all imaging takes place there.

The Western Front diaries for both Ancestry and NMP are taken from the first phase of TNA digitisation (ie that undertaken in fiscal year 2013-14), again I've no knowledge as to whether they did a joint deal, or have each purchased the images directly.

To be absolutely clear, this should not be taken as an official statement. I've no direct knowledge of specific arrangements regarding the Gallipoli diaries and whether they will also go on Discovery etc. You will find various references to digitisation projects in Executive Baord minutes and the papers and minutes of the User Advisory Group and User Forums which can all be found on the main TNA website.

I doubt Ancestry would go in to Kew and set up a whole new digitisation project rather than licence it offf NMP. Rightly or wrongly, for many people, even in the UK, Gallipoli is an Anzac battlefield so NMP and TNA are probably concetrating on the Western Front and "super licenced" Gallipoli to Ancestry's more global market in time for the 25th (and expect either Ancesxtry or FMP to offer free access to records this weekend)

My understanding is that the digitisation was done by TNA and its is licensed to N&MPress/N&MArchives. The files are created and owned by TNA. Ancestry would not have to set up a digitisation project. It could go direct to TNA and strike a deal to license them as well. As a Govt body TNA can't strike exclusive agreements and N&MPress/N&MArchives would understand the risk that someone else could do a similar deal. We can be reasonably sure they did on the Gallipoli diaries as N&M Archives does not offer them.

The files I download from TNA at £3.30 a shot are exactly the same as the ones available online at N&MArchive (and now available via Ancestry). MG

As an aside, Ancestry's Gallipoli index is missing lots of units.

Royal Gloucestershire Hussars kia Qatia 23rd April 1916

Glen

PS On the subject of Yeomanry, which unit was Lord Elcho in?

I can't immediately see 2 Black Watch diaries.

The last time I saw them was at TNA before the big digitisation.

2 BW was in 7 Indian Division. I'm not sure if the war diaries of British battalions in Indian Divisions have been digitised?

RM

I can't immediately see 2 Black Watch diaries.

The last time I saw them was at TNA before the big digitisation.

2 BW was in 7 Indian Division. I'm not sure if the war diaries of British battalions in Indian Divisions have been digitised?

RM

It has been digitised and is available via TNA and NMA.

WO 95/3948/1

It has been digitised and is available via TNA and NMA.

WO 95/3948/1

Many thanks. I have managed to find diaries for Indian battalions of & Indian Division on ancestry, so I may find them eventually.

I didn't make the purchase of the TNA product, but did phone them for some further info when their earlybird offer was announced and they did say that the diaries would eventually appear on Ancestry, so they will not be surprised.

Presumably visitors to the national Archives will have the usual free access to the diaries on Ancestry from the terminals there.

Yes, the war diaries are included in the institutional subscription at Kew (at least, I could access the Gallipoli diaries yesterday).

2nd Black Watch

I wonder if these have been added, could not find them this morning.

Mike

Many thanks Mike,

You're probably right. I think I had checked there.

RM.

2nd Black Watch

I wonder if these have been added, could not find them this morning.

Mike

I think they have been available since last Nov at least. I have 1st Bn Seaforths (Meerut Div) and the file download date from TNA was 28th Nov 2014... MG

Someone was looking for the 1/6th DLI but can't remember who, or on which thread. It is there, or some of it is, bit mixed up. Click

Mike

Was me, Mike.

Thanks for looking, I couldn't see it anywhere.

Craig

Not having much luck - can anyone see the 3rd Royal Fusiliers (City of London regiment) in the diaries for April 15 ?

Craig

Thanks Mike - it's annoying me now. Even using the piece number from the N/A fails to find it ?

Craig