The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry.co.uk War Diaries including Gallipoli

Simon_Fielding

Hi

Thanks for that, there never is!

regards

Robert

I do feel a bit sorry for naval and military press - gazumped again...

They're not having a good time of it.

Craig

Excellent, and I looked for a diary and managed to find it. N & MP will have to think of a new plan, like making their CD-Rom/Website information copy-able.

Mike

The diaries on Ancestry don't appears to be complete - certainly some of 50 Div is missing - but presumably this will be sorted over time. They also seem to have kept to their usual high standards of organising the diaries (although they've done a better job than NMP).

EDIT

The 'missing' diaries are present - just not easily found.

Craig

......without much of a fanfare...

Though to be fair, they are promoting as "newly added" Bexley Parish Records, 1558-1895

:-)

• Admin

As i understand it, NMP did the digitisation and have licenced it to Ancestry and will be gettting some royalties back.

As i understand it, NMP did the digitisation and have licenced it to Ancestry and will be gettting some royalties back.

That's good news-it would be a shame if NMP went to the wall after so much effort

Great to have the Gallipoli diaries, but a bit worrying that they are not also available on the National Archives site - I much prefer to download a complete diary at a time rather than page by page.

Presumably TNA will at least change the catalogue to no longer state the Gallipoli diaries have not been digitised and give a link to Ancestry?

Looking forward to Salonika, Mesopotamia, Palestine, etc

At last! Many thanks for this.

Indices are variable - if anyone comes across the divisonal diary for the 10th at Gallipoli (edit: August 1915), a link would be much appreciated.

and for once the search facility seems fine

Graeme

They contain the same errors as N&MArchives which seems to confirm the source material is identical. Most are OK but the first file I clicked on for the Derbyshire Yeomanry turned out to be the Devon Yeomanry.

That aside, for anyone with an Ancestry subscription N&MArchives is now unnecessary. The cost of access to the N&M Archives has changed again.

Separately, today N&M Press is still advertising the War Diaries CD at £450 + VAT (=£540) and the Campaign Medal Rolls at £350 + VAT (=£420) - total £960 - all of which is now accessible on Ancestry for £120 a year. It would take 8 years of Ancestry subs to exceed the cost of these two CDs. I wonder if N&MP didn't see the required demand for these big-ticket items and has capitulated. It looks as if they may have struck a deal with Ancestry as they did with the Medal Rolls. Edit. I don't see any mention of N&MPress, so maybe they struck a deal directly with TNA......

This is less than a year since the diaries were launched by N&MArchives.

MG

• Admin

Martin

It has been mentioned here several times before that the CD was overpriced. Even the new, higher charges for the web version worked out cheaper for most people.

For the average person researching a couple of relatives, thasn Ancestry is fine. For someone researching a single unit than it is a toss up between Ancestry or the NMP website. For a professional genealogistwho can write off/depreciate the cost of a CD compared to travelling to Kew or paying lots of £3.30 for diaries then it becomes debatable but the option to save complete portions of diaries from the CD makes it attractive.

NMP aren't stupid and would prefer the ongoing revenue stream of a website subscription or royalties from ANcestrry to a one off payment for a DVD.

Glen

PS On the subject of Yeomanry, which unit was Lord Elcho in?

Interestingly the Gallipoli diaries are still not available via TNA's website, so unless one can make it to the National Archives, one has to pay a commercial company to view these national assets online. One can only hope TNA is about to re-release the Gallipoli diaries. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

I have not seen this before - 'national' archives being privatised.

• Admin

that occured to me too but I thought TNA were concentrating on the higher level units on the Western Front and assumed that Ancestry/NMP got sick of waiting for TNA with 25th April coming up.

It is certainly one to keep an eye on.

Martin

It has been mentioned here several times before that the CD was overpriced. Even the new, higher charges for the web version worked out cheaper for most people.

For the average person researching a couple of relatives, thasn Ancestry is fine. For someone researching a single unit than it is a toss up between Ancestry or the NMP website. For a professional genealogistwho can write off/depreciate the cost of a CD compared to travelling to Kew or paying lots of £3.30 for diaries then it becomes debatable but the option to save complete portions of diaries from the CD makes it attractive.

NMP aren't stupid and would prefer the ongoing revenue stream of a website subscription or royalties from ANcestrry to a one off payment for a DVD.

Glen

PS On the subject of Yeomanry, which unit was Lord Elcho in?

Are we sure there is a link between NMA and ANcestry here? I assumed there was but I cant see any evidence....

Ancestry have Gallipoli diaries that NMA doesn't which suggests a separate deal with TNA. I know TNA can't strike exclusive deals and it may be that Ancestry has made its own deal with TNA for access.

Elcho was in the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars.

For the average person researching a couple of relatives, thasn Ancestry is fine. For someone researching a single unit than it is a toss up between Ancestry or the NMP website. Ancestry offers 12 views for £9.99. Assuming 12 files that would cost £3.30 to download each, that is offering access for roughly a quarter of the price, but of course only lasts 14 days N&MArchives offers just a day's access for £10. Alternatively there is the £13.99 for a month (compared to NMArchive one month access at £25 i.e 78% more costly). It seems to me that Ancestry's pricing is more attractive for the person wanting to search for a small amount of info.

For a professional genealogistwho can write off/depreciate the cost of a CD compared to travelling to Kew or paying lots of £3.30 for diaries then it becomes debatable but the option to save complete portions of diaries from the CD makes it attractive. The alternative is Ancestry now. I suspect most professional genealogists have Ancestry already, which means they now don't need the CD....N&MArchivess residual target market has to be outside this area. Most libraries have Ancestry which means the mass market has free access if they can get to their local library. ...so I wonder what segment N&MArchives is targeting at £££ for the CDs and/or its web access.

I have both and cant see why I would now renew the N&MArchive subscription...yes it is slightly cheaper but if ancestry provides exactly the same and a few billion records more, N&MArchives offering seems badly positioned..... I only use it for quick searches now as the indexing is so bad and the navigation is utterly hopeless...and hangs.... ... Ancestry provides access to the original pages of the medal rolls which is useful.

Edit. Where does this leave FMP and others?

It is possible that N&MP under-estimated demand for its CD at £540.

• Admin

You have spotted regular errors across the offerings from both Ancestry and NMP. I doubt Ancestry would go in to Kew and set up a whole new digitisation project rather than licence it offf NMP. Rightly or wrongly, for many people, even in the UK, Gallipoli is an Anzac battlefield so NMP and TNA are probably concetrating on the Western Front and "super licenced" Gallipoli to Ancestry's more global market in time for the 25th (and expect either Ancesxtry or FMP to offer free access to records this weekend)

Thanks for the Elcho information,. Oncce I am allowed to I'll send you the letter written by the chaplain who buried him and his colleaguees.

From your later post

"It is possible that N&MP under-estimated demand for its CD at £540."

No. They do not want one off sales. The software industry is going to the subscription model where you rent the stuff rahter than buy it. If you pay £xx for something and don't need to replace it for 5 years or more where do they make their money? Look at Office365 or Adobe products for an example.