Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC 46166 Pte Samuel Unsworth

Don Regiano

I'm trying to establish the movements of my GF, Private Samuel Unsworth who served in the RAMC. His number was 46166 and he received the Victory and British War medals and the 1914-15 Star. From his MIC, he entered France on 24 February 1915. We have no service record for him (but 2 MICs - one erroneously as F Unsworth).

I don't know whether it is possible to determine exactly who he was with and what his movements were. He was born (10 May 1887) and lived in St. Helens, Lancashire and survived the war. He died in 1942.

Can anyone help please?

Edited by Don Regiano

Thanks Chaz but don't have FMP so link doesn't help. Can you tell me what it says?R

Reg

sick and wounded NCO;s and Men of the expeditionary force

Hospital List No H 4476

Royal Army Medical Corps

RAMC.1 Am.Fld wound would be V.S

Dis to No.1 Camp Dtls Havre Ex 9 SH.24 Dec 1915 do.(ditto)

maybe someone can fill in..

Dis= Discharged or ?

http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals.htm

Hi Chaz.

Thanks. Not sure I fully understand what was going on. Are you saying he is included in a sick list or was he working there? Where was this info from?

Thanks.

Reg

presumably sick and wounded NCO's and Men of the Expeditionary force.

4 other RAMC one with a contusion to r shoulder also 5 from the RGA one with scabies!!

1 ordinance and 2 vets.

22nd to 24th December 1915

I would say he was wounded and following other link on forum I posted to Hospital at Havre (Le)

ignore the do (ditto) on the above post as that refers to one underneath going to same hospital

OK, thanks. We don't think he came home at that time. My father never mentioned about him being wounded. Not sure which hospital at Le Havre - I know No.1 General Hospital had already moved to Etretat by that date.

Was the information you have from FMP?

Thanks again.

Reg

yes FMP.

what was V.S? presumably it was his injury

(Le) Havre No 1 General Aug 14 - Nov 14; No 2 General Aug 14 - May 19; No 6 Stationary Dec 14 - May 16; No 9 Stationary Oct 14 - ; No 39 General - known to be present Jun 18; No 52 Stationary Oct 15 - Jul 19

• Admin

Discharged to Number 1 Camp Details Havre (light duties at the base depot) Ex ((from) 9 Stationary Hospital on 24 December

Ken

Thanks for the further replies.

I haven't finished trawling yet but it seems very difficult to locate these places. I'll keep looking especially for the location of No. 9 SH. I believe No.1 Camp was at Adresse - I presume that is now the location called Sainte-Adresse on Google Earth. As it happens, we will be in the area for a day when we visit the battlefields in June - a detour to Etretat to visit the grave of my wife's great uncle so would like to take in Le Havre too.

Still no luck regarding with whom he served etc.

Regards.

Reg

• Admin

The typed sheet shows (as above) 'RAMC. 1 Am Fld' which is probably 1 Field Ambulance (1st Division) it's not usually written that way but of the four men on the list who were RAMC

two are shown as RAMC 80FA and 90FA respectively, which tends to be the conventional abbreviation and the fourth is shown as '64 Fld Amb RAMC'. These are clearly the units to which the men were attached at the time (the document is not dated) as the column refers to the unit for men of all arms on the list.

So assuming he was 1 Field Ambulance the war diary is available either at TNA or now on Ancestry but takes a bit of reading - very tight script!

Ken

Thanks Ken, that helps a lot. We've eventually managed to find the war diary on Ancestry using my wife's account and some convoluted search terms and I see what you mean about the writing. We've not managed to find a way of downloading the diary as one file so I guess I will need to do that from TNA where it was much easier to find.

Thanks for your help.

Reg.