Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

595 polo players 48 photos left to go (Polo and the Great War)

tharkin56

Thanks for these, I forgot to check DuRuvigny Roll the 2 volumes i have.

I didn't know you could like to military archive

Thanks again

many thanks I found others there too. Woodmass did not come up because the name was wrapped wood-mass.

That just leaves one photo Lt Cyril Frederick Wilson 5th Dragoon Guards.

Thanks all

• 2 months later...

Would be interested in the photo of Captain Loscombe Law Stable, RWF, in polo kit-a local casualty from Wanstead,East London. Commemorated several locations in the area.

Also, the fine silver statue of him in polo kit which his father gave to the Carpenters Company- Hope you have got that!!!

And details of his polo playing career would be welcoem-happy to send over the local stuff on him that I have

Do you have any information on Major Augustus Blair Mayne, Central India Horse and Royal Artillery?

He played for the County Dublin and All-Ireland Polo Clubs, and was a member of a team which won the Counties Cup for Dublin, some time between 1904 and 1914.

He was born in 1860, and served in India, where he played polo. He died of illness in London on 4th December, 1917.

I would really like a photograph of him.

Michael

Hi not come across this name. However if you go to HPA hurlingham polo association on line and into archives and search the early copies you may find info on him. files are pdf and search works well. Sounds like I need to add him

Would you like a photo of the three Doherty men mentioned on your website for letterkenny, my granny's uncles see my signoff

Trevor

Hi not come across this name. However if you go to HPA hurlingham polo association on line and into archives and search the early copies you may find info on him. files are pdf and search works well.

Thanks for the tip, but no luck, I'm afraid. Just one brief mention of him in 1905.

'Sounds like I need to add him'

He was an Indian Army officer who had retired to Dublin. He was recalled in 1914, at the age of 54, and was assigned to the Remount Service, in France. In 1916 he was given command of an ammunition column at the Somme, and, in 1917 he was a conducting officer for troops travelling from Le Havre to the front. His train was hit by a shell, and he was severely shocked. He was taken to hospital in London, where he died of heart and kidney failure on 4th December, 1917. He is buried in the grounds of St. Michael's Church, Camberley, Surrey (just beside the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst). He is recognised by the C.W.G.C. as a war casualty.

Michael

post-3328-0-77360200-1442584279_thumb.jp

Capper India, commanded the Staff College at Queta. I have it on record that he lost an eye playing polo. I suspect he played for his regiment. The wound apparently continued to pain him and weep. There are very few photographs of him,a left profile is the shot most commonly seen. However there is another full face picture which I have also seen in which right eye looks somewhat strange.

Martin G posted the following, though it hasn't appeared:

Digital Library of India has a copy of the Indian Polo Calendar 1925. It runs for 362 pages and has the history of Polo in India (Winners of Tournaments, Runners up Team members etc going back through the Great War and beyond to the 1880s.
Lots of Army Officers mentioned and although it is 1925, some would have served in 1918 or possibly earlier
Link is here click (http://dli.serc.iisc.ernet.in/handle/2015/208352)

Thank you very much, but it gives only the names of the winning teams prior to 1925; no names of the players. My man died in 1917.

Michael

Martin G posted the following, though it hasn't appeared:

Digital Library of India has a copy of the Indian Polo Calendar 1925. It runs for 362 pages and has the history of Polo in India (Winners of Tournaments, Runners up Team members etc going back through the Great War and beyond to the 1880s.

Lots of Army Officers mentioned and although it is 1925, some would have served in 1918 or possibly earlier

Link is here click (http://dli.serc.iisc.ernet.in/handle/2015/208352)

Thank you very much, but it gives only the names of the winning teams prior to 1925; no names of the players. My man died in 1917.

Michael

There are many dozens of named players, possibly more than 100. I haven't counted them all. . It was on the thread for less than a minute. I deleted it as I realised after posting that the OP is about Polo players who died, rather than survived, so an oversight by me.. ...and with the greatest respect it wasn't aimed at you or 'your man' , which I have no interest in, as noted by the fact I didn't quote your post.... It was aimed at the OP.

• 9 months later...
On May 26, 2015 at 15:39, tharkin56 said:

20. Maj Charles Harold Corbett, 18th QMO Hussars have with photo

Would you happen to have that photo of Maj. Corbett? I am currently researching his time with the 18th Hussars. He's an interesting figure, and commanded an ancestor of mine during the Second Boer War in 1901. 

Thank you! 

Salop Hussar

hi not forgotten will have a look now, i was waiting for my books to be delivered as I ordered some more but bizarrely not turned up yet...

Much appreciated!

yes i do have a photo message me keen polo player 3 handicap. served in south africa