Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

595 polo players 48 photos left to go (Polo and the Great War)

tharkin56

For the more avid readers you will have seen post from January/February where I appealed for photos i now have 547 photos of fallen polo players.

Thus can finish Polo and the Great War just one last appeal incase anyone below springs to mind of viewers.

I recently added 139 more names from reading various rolls of honour.

Thanks to everyone helped

He's the list just incase

ARDEN, Lieutenant Colonel, John Henry Morris, D .S .O. Royal Air Force, No. 3 Cadet Wing and Reserve of Officers, 2nd Bn., Worcestershire Regiment.. 22nd July 1918. MALVERN COLLEGE

BARNE, Captain, S. M.C. . 20th Hussars (attached Royal Flying Corps). 23rd April 1917..SEYMOUR

BATTY-SMITH, Lieutenant, Francis Clive. 13th Bn., Royal Fusiliers. 4th June 1916.

BELL, Major, A. D . 4th Hussars. 8th April 1918.

BOWLBY, Lieutenant, Lionel Henry Salvin. 2nd Dragoon Guards (Royal Scot Greys). 4th June 1916.

BROADBENT, Major, Edgar Richard, M.C.. 8th Hussars. 31st October 1918..

BUTLER, Second Lieutenant, J . H . R ., 2nd Bn., Coldstream Guards. 16th September 1916.

CARDEN lt col ronald james walter

CHAPMAN, Second Lieutenant, A . F., 2nd Bn., Scots Guards. 25th September 1916. Shakespeare Edward VIII School

CHURCHILL, Captain, C. H. M. 20th Duke of Cambridge's Own Infantry (Brownlow's Punjabis. 17th February 1917

CONYNGHAM, Lieutenant, Victor George Henry Francis.

DUBS, Captain, C.E.D. 17th Lancers. 6th November 1918.

DURHAM, Lieutenant, Edward. 2nd Bn. Rifle Brigade. 26th November 1914. cheltenham college

EGERTON, Captain, Edward Brassey. D Sqdn., 17th Lancers. 1st September 1916.

EGERTON, Lieutenant-Colonel, George Algernon. 19th Hussars. 13th May 1915.

EGERTON, Major, James Boswell. 23rd Indian Cavalry. 27th October 1918. edinburgh?

FERGUSSON-POLLOK, Major, Robert Cuthbert. 32nd Lancers. Indian Cavalry. 11th April 1917.

GRANTHAM, Lieutenant, Charles Alpe. 33rd Cavalry. 3rd March 1915.

GREER, Lieutenant, Francis St. Leger, M.C.. 2nd Bn., Irish Guards. 1st February 1917.

GRIFFITH, Lieutenant Colonel, William Walter Gilbert. 32nd Lancers. 22nd April 1917.*****************************

HAWKSLEY, Lieutenant Colonel, John Plunkett Verney, D.S.O. Royal Field Artillery. 8th August 1916

HOBART, Lieutenant, Douglas. 24th Punjabis attached 53rd Sikhs, Indian Army. Died of wounds, 20th April 1916.

hudson john william willoughby 1/5 warwicks

HUDSON, Lieutenant, Jocelyn Hope. 49th Bde., Royal Field Artillery. 12th January 1916.

HUGHES, Lieutenant-Colonel, E. M. 14th Murrays Jat Lancers, Indian Army. 11th September 1916.

jenkins, edward kyneersley wellington college year book

JENNINGS, Captain, Francis Montgomery. 8th Hussars. 11th November 1918.

KETTLE, Lieutenant, Rupert Arthur. 3rd Hussars

KEVILL-DAVIES, Lieutenant, William Albert Somerset. 9th Lancers.15th May 1915.

KING HARRIS ROY Corporal Warwicks

LEWIS, Lieutenant-Colonel, Harold. 37th Lancers, Indian Army commanding 20th Bn., Manchester Regiment .1st July 1916.

LIVINGSTONE-LEARMONTH, Captain, Nigel James Christian. 21st August 1915.

LUSH-WILSON, Major, Herbert Geoffrey. Y Bty., Royal Horse Artillery. 21st July 1916.

MARSHALL, Lieutenant, Frederick Guy. 2nd Bn., Grenadier Guards. 22nd March 1915.

MACMULLEN, Lieutenant Colonel, Frederick Charles Kendall. 19th June 1916.

MAWDSLEY, Lieutenant, Barton James Platt. 17th Indian Cavalry. 6th February 1916

MCNEILE, Lieutenant Colonel, Henry Donald. 1st Royal Dragoons. 20th December 1915.

PENNINGTON, Major, William Herbert. 12th Cavalry, Indian Army attached 16th Cavalry. 9th September 1915.

PICKERING, Lieutenant Colonel, Francis Alexander Umfreville. D.S.O. 2nd Dragoon commanding 9th Bn., Rifle Brigade. 23rd December 1917.

PROTHERO, Lieutenant, Rowland John. 7th Hussars . 8th November 1918.

PURVES, Captain and Adjutant G. G. De B. 2nd Bn., attached 5th Bn., Royal Scots Fusiliers. 8th November 1915

SAMUDA, Major, Cecil Markham Annesley. 2nd July 1917. Somerset Light Infantry.

SCOTT, Captain, Herbert Vesey. 3rd Rifle Brigade. 1st September 1915.

SILVERTOP, Captain, W.A. , M.C. 20th Hussars. 27th November 1917.

TOWNSEND, Lieutenant, G . J. 66th Punjabis. 26th November 1915

VEITCH, Captain, Dawyck Moberly, Duke of York Lancers Lancers, attd. 70th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. 8th July 1916.

WADDELL-DUDLEY, Lieutenant, Robert Roland. 3rd Bn . Royal Fusiliers. 15th April 1915.

WATSON, Lieutenant, Charles Reginald. 28th Punjabis. 6th April 1916.

WILLOUGHBY, Captain, The Hon. Francis George G. 9th Bn., Rifle Brigade. 9th August 1915

Surely it would be very helpful for those wishing to respond to your request if you gave the name of the cemetery/memorial where they were buried/commemorated.

You are asking people to trawl amongst their photos after having had to look up the CWGC record. Naming the location could also narrow down any search.

Thanks fair point, I may take to loading separately. I have the detail

Trevor

Can I ask what defines the 595 men on the list? Presumably died in the Great War and polo is mentioned in their obituaries?

If this is the case have you trawled Bond of Sacrifice Vols I and II? I have a digitised and OCR'd copy of Vol I and will have a digitised and OCR'd copy of Vol II in a week or so (It is being scanned. Vol II is quite difficult to find). Entering Polo generates scores of returns from Officers who died in 1914 and the first half of 1915.

Edit. 'Polo' generates 139 returns for the Bond of Sacrifice in 1914. Just five months of the war. This represents nearly a quarter of your 595. My gut feeling is that a lot more than 600 Polo players died in the subsequent carnage of 1915-1919. It seems unlikely that 23% of Polo players who died in the war, died in the first five months. Officers (and ORs) who disembraked in 1914 were more likely to become fatalities than any other cohort, but I would still expect far more to have become fatalities in 1915-1919 than 595 suggests.

In the remote chance your target list embraces men who survived, I think the list would be significantly longer. Quite a number of regimental histories highlight their polo teams. If you are interested in pursuing this line then do feel free to PM me as I have over 100 digitised and OCR'd regimental histories covering the great war period that can be searched in seconds for the word 'polo'.

For example, the History of the 17th Lancers (Vol II 1895-1914) devotes a reasonable section to its prowess on the Polo field and has a photo of the team in 1913: Capt V N Lockett., Lt D C Boles, Lt H B Turnor and Capt T P Melvill. It also mentions a few others including Dubs who is on your list (no photo). It also provides an interesting but short vignette on polo in India immediately before the war. It mentions the dominance of the 15th Hussars and the winners of the inter-regimental cup in various years. Similarly the History of the Eleventh Hussars 1908-1936 provides good detail on its teams. It might be useful context even if you are only focused on the Polo plyers who died. MG

Martin Many thanks would be interested in Bond of sacrifice vol 2. I have 202 names upto December 1914, I have used bond of sacrifice vol 1.

My main source was the polo monthly a magazine that was published throughout the war I compiled a roll of honour from it that ended with 456 men.

I added men from the harrow roll of honour, british roll of honour, war illustrated, graphic, sphere, cwgc, and deruvigny roll of honour, lloyds bank etc realising 456 was short.

So am missing bos vol 2 which would be appreciated.

if polo was not mentioned in the obit and they did not appear in the polo roll of honour, then not included.

I have touched a bit on the survivors, isolated stories, prisoners of war etc and the attempt to keep polo going during the war.

Everyone so far is an officer.

Thanks for your help will PM as well

Martin Many thanks would be interested in Bond of sacrifice vol 2. I have 202 names upto December 1914, I have used bond of sacrifice vol 1.

My main source was the polo monthly a magazine that was published throughout the war I compiled a roll of honour from it that ended with 456 men.

I added men from the harrow roll of honour, british roll of honour, war illustrated, graphic, sphere, cwgc, and deruvigny roll of honour, lloyds bank etc realising 456 was short.

So am missing bos vol 2 which would be appreciated.

if polo was not mentioned in the obit and they did not appear in the polo roll of honour, then not included.

I have touched a bit on the survivors, isolated stories, prisoners of war etc and the attempt to keep polo going during the war.

Everyone so far is an officer.

Thanks for your help will PM as well

I have PM'd you with the detail. In the meantime the first ten named polo players from BOS2

Lt Colin McDairmis Allardice, 14th KGO's Ferozepore Sikhs att 47th Sikhs. KIA 26th April 1915. Represented his regt at Polo. (photo)

Maj Macclesfiled Heptinstall Anderson, 33rd Queen victoria's Light Cavalry. KIA 29th April 1915. 'A keen sportsman, fond of pig-sticking, polo and shooting.' (photo)

Capt Reinford Tatton Arundell, 2nd QVO Rajput Light Infantry. KIA 3rd Feb 1915. Polo player. (photo)

Lt Col Osbert Clinton-Baker CO of the 1st Bn R Irish Rifles. KIA 9th MAy 1915. Won King George's Cup for Polo in Aden in 1914. (photo)

Capt Percy D'Aguilar Banks, QVO Corps of Guides (FF), KIA 26th April 1915. Played polo recreationally, and played for the Franfurt Team in Germany winning the Challenge, Champion and Ladies' Cup. Captained the Guides Infantry team winning two tournaments. (Photo)

Lt Samuel Tudor Barr, 3rd King's Own Hussars, KIA 23 Feb 1915. Played polo at Sandhurst. (photo)

Lt Rupert Sunderland Barret 8th Bn (Victoria) AIF. KIA 25th April 1915 Gallipoli. Played polo. (photo)

Lt Alfred William Batson, 2nd Bn DCLI, KIA14th March 915. Played polo. (photo)

Capt Francis Hugh Beaufort, 2nd Bn OBLI. KIA 16th May 1915. 'Played polo a good deal in India'. (photo)

Capt Henry Owen Dabridge-Court Becher. Ist Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) KIA 13th March 1915. 'Took keenly to polo when in South Africa' (photo)

etc .... 10 Polo players in the first 33 pages. There are 580 pages of biographies suggesting there might be around 170 named polo players in BOS 2. You may which to cross reference the number KIA on your database in the first 6 months of 1915 as a loose reference.

Regards

MG

Lt Rowland Auriol James Beech 16th Lancers ..." He was one of the best horsemen in a regiment noted for its fine riders , and as a polo player in the international Tournament in 1914 he helped his team to get to the semi-final round" (Photo)

2 Lt D'Arcy Frank Blofeld, 2nd Life Guards.KIA 14th May 1915. '..he spent several years in the Argentine wher he became interested in breeding polo ponies...a finished horseman, and a most promising polo player and was a member of the Cheltenham and West Somerset Polo Club, his handicap being five points at Hurlingham , 1914. (photo)

That would be six new add's.

Banks featured in my previous books on Brighton and the Great War

Beech featured in Coventry Roll of HOnour he lived about four miles away from me.

So I may have about 80 names to add

Thanks for your help

t Colin McDairmis Allardice, 14th KGO's Ferozepore Sikhs att 47th Sikhs. KIA 26th April 1915. Represented his regt at Polo. (photo) (NEW ADD)

Maj Macclesfiled Heptinstall Anderson, 33rd Queen victoria's Light Cavalry. KIA 29th April 1915. 'A keen sportsman, fond of pig-sticking, polo and shooting.' (photo) (NEW ADD)

Capt Reinford Tatton Arundell, 2nd QVO Rajput Light Infantry. KIA 3rd Feb 1915. Polo player. (photo) (NEW ADD)

Lt Col Osbert Clinton-Baker CO of the 1st Bn R Irish Rifles. KIA 9th MAy 1915. Won King George's Cup for Polo in Aden in 1914. (photo) (INCLUDED)

Capt Percy D'Aguilar Banks, QVO Corps of Guides (FF), KIA 26th April 1915. Played polo recreationally, and played for the Franfurt Team in Germany winning the Challenge, Champion and Ladies' Cup. Captained the Guides Infantry team winning two tournaments. (Photo) (INCLUDED)

Lt Samuel Tudor Barr, 3rd King's Own Hussars, KIA 23 Feb 1915. Played polo at Sandhurst. (photo) (INCLUDED)

Lt Rupert Sunderland Barret 8th Bn (Victoria) AIF. KIA 25th April 1915 Gallipoli. Played polo. (photo) (NEW ADD)

Lt Alfred William Batson, 2nd Bn DCLI, KIA14th March 915. Played polo. (photo) (INCLUDED)

Capt Francis Hugh Beaufort, 2nd Bn OBLI. KIA 16th May 1915. 'Played polo a good deal in India'. (photo) (NEW ADD)

Capt Henry Owen Dabridge-Court Becher. Ist Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) KIA 13th March 1915. 'Took keenly to polo when in South Africa' (photo) (NEW ADD)

Lt Rowland Auriol James Beech 16th Lancers ..." He was one of the best horsemen in a regiment noted for its fine riders , and as a polo player in the international Tournament in 1914 he helped his team to get to the semi-final round" (Photo) (INCLUDED)

2 Lt D'Arcy Frank Blofeld, 2nd Life Guards.KIA 14th May 1915. '..he spent several years in the Argentine wher he became interested in breeding polo ponies...a finished horseman, and a most promising polo player and was a member of the Cheltenham and West Somerset Polo Club, his handicap being five points at Hurlingham , 1914. (photo) (INCLUDED)

MY grannys uncles were killed in the great war and I researched them. I then researched local men in Coventry who died and commemorated in local park, this turned into coventry, this was then a local school, local town and then when i went to brighton, brighton. One Brighton man was Captain Herbert Wilson 1908 olympic polo player, thus stuck and thus polo players who died.

One person tends to turn in to a project.

A book on the 330 men on the Thiepval memorial from Coventry grew from my Grannys Uncle on the Thiepval Memorial.

I pick fairly niche projects and have also done WW2 projects.

Thanks for the courtesy of your response. Again I ask only out of interest, have you looked at all the cavalry regiment losses and matched that against their polo teams?

I have compiled a roll of honour from the polo monthly(obits and individual rolls) and looked at the men who served. I have then looked at Bond of sacrifice, war illustrated, british roll of honour etc and looked for polo in the obits. Some were water polo!!! This I have compiled into a list and biographies. The regimental competition appeared in polo monthly but in some cases not enough to identify as casualty Captain Smith, F. Barrett etc

I suspect the Cavalry Regimental journals might also be a rich seam of information. A few maintained journals before the war and in the first year or so.

Indian Army regimental histories and journals might also generate more

17th Lancers Polo players in the immediate pre-war period:

"Page 75: "Polo - Of games, polo came first and foremost"

Played in the Spring and Autumn tournaments at Meerut, lucknow and Bareilly.

Beresford Cup at Simla

Agra Cup 1907

Champion Cup 1907

Allahabad Exhibition 1910

Delhi Durbar 1912 Championship

17th Lancers were only beaten by eventual winners in 1912-1913

Won Meerut and Lucknow Open Tournaments

10th Hussars dominated in 1910, beating 17th lancers in extra time in the prestigious Open Allahabad Exhibition Tournament

1910 Team:

Cap V N Lockett (back)

Lt H B Turnor (3)

Capt R W V Bruce (2)

Capt T P Melvill (1)

1912 Inter-regimental:

Lt H F Epstein replaced Capt Bruce whose eye had been damaged during the Durbar Tournament

1913 Team:

Lt D C Boles replaced Capt R W V Bruce of the 1910 team. This team won the inter-regimental tournament and the Calcutta Jubilee Cup (Christmas (1912-1913)

1914: Capt Lockett selected to play for England against America and was posted to Cheshire Yeomanry. Replaced by Capt R W V Bruce in the 1913-14 season, the team winning the inter-regimental tournament again. The Subaltern's Tournament was won by the 17th lancers in the same year for the very first time:

Lt D C Boles

Lt H B Turnor

Lt G B Black

Lt C E Dubs

Photo of Lockett, Boles, Turnor and Melvill below.

post-55873-0-93529800-1429721993_thumb.j

They did well to all survive, play in 1913 and all get through to 1920.

Sept 14

Since August i no polo has been played in this country, most of our polo players and a number of their polo ponies being engaged in the sterner game of war. The casualty lists have included the names of many well-known polo players. Among the officers already killed are Lieut.-Colonel G. K . Ansell, the commanding officer of the 5th Dragoon Guards. Colonel Ansell used to be a member of the Inniskilling Dragoons polo team, winners of the Inter-Regimental tournament at Hurlingham in 1897, 1898 and 1905 . Just before war was declared he played for Mr. Harold Pearson 's Capron House team in the Cowdray Park tournament at Midhurst, and took part in the final on August 1 . Major J. S. Cawley and Mr. H. M. Soames, two of the best players in the 20th Hussars, have lost their lives at the front too. Major Cawley helped the 20th to win the Inter-Regimental Cup in 1906 and 1907, and Mr. H . M. Soames was the back of the 20th Hussars' subalterns' team. Major Hubert Crichton, another of the officers killed, was one of the keenest players in the Irish Guards, and the captain of the regimental team . Among other players killed are MrC. N. C. de Crespigny, of the Queen's Bays ; Major F. Swetenham (Scots Greys), who used to be Hon. Secretary of the Ayrshire Polo Club ; Major V. R. Brooke, of the 9th Lancers ; and Mr. Percy Wyndham. The last-named was a half-brother of the Duke of Westminster, who is also at the front.

• 1 month later...

You may already have information and pictures of Francis Grenfell VC and his twin brother Riversdale Grenfell but if not, I have a picture of them together on polo duty. I am currently writing a history of the Boles family, which is connected to the Grenfell family via a post-WW2 marriage. I have come across a number of other Polo players including Lt George Edward Taylor-Whitehead (no photo), Captain John Wodehouse (no photo) Captain John Grey Archdale-Porter (no photo), Captain Arthur Noel Edwards - one of a small group of officers who carried the body of Francis Grenfell along the renin Road to Vlamertinghe but died later of gas poisoning

Bond of Sacrifice Vol II. A search generated 94 named individuals, all with detailed biographies and photos. Some might be additional names. A few mentions of Polo in outlying places such as Egypt and Hong Kong. Some have considerable detail on their polo playing history, tournaments, cups, handicaps etc.

MG

1. Lt Colin McDairmid Allardice 14th KEO Sikhs

2. Maj Macclesfield Heptinstall Anderson 33rd QVO Light Cavalry

3. Lt Col Osbert Clinton-Baker CO 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles

4. Capt Percy D’Aguilar Banks QVO Corps of Guides FF

5. Lt Samuel Tudor Barr, 3rd King’s Own Hussars

6. Lt Rupert Sunderland Barrett, 8th Bn (Victoria) AIF

7. Lt Alfred William Batson 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

8. Capt Francis Hugh Beaufort 2nd Bn Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

9. Capt Henry Owen Dabridge-Court Becher, 1st Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

10. Lt Rowland Auriol James Beech, 16th Lancers

11. Lt D’Arcy Frank Blofeld, 2nd Life Guards

12. Lt William Torquill Macleod Bolitho 19th Hussars

13. Maj Reginald Edwin Bond, 4th PAV Rajputs

14. Lt Oscar Brown, 7th Hariana Lancers attd 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards

15. Capt Walter Donald Bush, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt

16. Capt Percival Christian Chapman Royal Garrison Artillery

17. Capt Robert Vere Clerk, Adjt 7th Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

18. Capt Robert Alexander Colvin, Adjt 2nd Bn POW West Yorkshire Regt

19. Capt Alexander Stewart Cooper, 1st Bn King’s Own Scottish Borderers

20. Maj Charles Harold Corbett, 18th QMO Hussars

21. Capt Alfred Sackville Cresswell, 2nd Bn Buffs (East Kent Regt)

22. Capt Percy Beattie-Crozier, 4th PAV Rajputs

23. Capt Thomas Henry Withers Cunliffe, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

24. Capt Godfrey Chase Deans, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt

25. Capt Barrington Blomfield Dickson 1st Bn Northamptonshire Regt

26. Capt James Dixon, Adjt 2nd Bn Middlesex Regt

27. Lt Robert St John Blacker Douglass MC, 1st Bn Irish Guards

28. Maj Ernest Elliot Edelmann DSO RGA Commandant 23rd Peshawar Mtn Bty (FF)

29. Lt Charles Vivian de Grete Edye, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

30. Capt Annesley Charles Edward St George Gore, 2/9th Gurkha Rifles.

31. Capt Francis Octavius Grenfell VC 9th Lancers

32. Lt John Edward Gresson 2nd Bn Cheshire Regt

33. Maj John Gwynne Griffith 32nd Lancers, Bde Maj 9th Cav Bde.

34. Lt Rupert Vardon de Burgh Griffith, 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers

35. Capt George Clement Griffiths, 13th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

36. Capt John George Harter, Durham Light Infantry, Brigade Major.

37. Lt Wickham Leathes Harvey, 7th DCO Rajputs

38. Lt Col Frederick Richard Hicks, CO 1st Bn Hampshire Regt

39. Lt Col Henry William Ernest Hitchins, CO 1st Bn Manchester Regt

40. Maj Francis Duncan Irvine RE 1st Inf Bde AIF

41. Lt Col Francis Augustus Jacques 2IC 14th KGO Sikhs

42. Capt (temp) Walter James 10th Bn Durham Light Infantry

43. Lt Col Francis George Jones, CO 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

44. Lt Hilary Gresford Evan-Jones, 1st Bn Welsh Regt

45. Capt Stanley Jones, 1st Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers

46. Capt William Mortimer Lanyon, 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles.

47. Lt Col George Brenton Laurie CO 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles

48. Capt Francis James Leah, Adjt 2nd Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry

49. Lt Hugo Molesworth Legge, 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers

50. Maj Frederick Sutherland Lillie, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt

51. Maj Charles Elmhurst Luard DSO, 1st Bn Norfolk Regt

52. Maj Alexander Henry Campbell MacGregor, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers

53. Capt George Dudley Mathew 2/2nd KEO Gurkha Rifles (Simoor Rifles)

54. Lt Col Archibald Skirving Woolery Moffat 1st (attd 2nd ) Bn Border Regt

55. Col William Scott-Moncrieff Comd 156th Inf Bde MEF

56. Capt Sidney Herbert Foster Muriel, 1st Bn Border Regt

57. Maj Arundell Neave, 16th Lancers

58. Capt Gerard Arthur O’Callaghan, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regt

59. Capt Robert John Charles Otter, 2nd (attd 1st ) Bn Norfolk Regt

60. Maj Frederick Nigel Parbury, 20th Bty Royal Field Artillery

61. Capt Archibald Kenneth park, 1/10th attd 1/6th Gurkha Rifles

62. Capt John Francis Brice Pearse, 3rd Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps

63. Lt Algernon Fane Keane-Penrose, 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

64. Lt Thomas Percy Pilcher, 2nd Bn Rifle Brigade

65. Lt Charles Pilter, 18th QMO Hussars

66. Lt Alwyne Morton Francis Worsley Porter, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

67. Capt Archibald Douglas Hussey Ray, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt

68. Capt William Gerald Renton, 1st King’s Dragoon Guards

69. Capt Harold Christopher Richmond, 1st Bn Gloucestershire Regt

70. Brig-Gen James Foster Riddell, late 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, Comd North’d Inf Bde

71. Lt Col Ivor d’Esterre Roberts, Royal Field Artillery

72. Capt Arthur Courtenay Saunders, 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

73. Maj Harold Shaw, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

74. Capt Sidney James Belton Sparling, 57th Wilde’s Rifles (FF), Maj (temp) Royal Marines

75. Lt George Eric Guy Stacpoole, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt

76. Lt Haldane Day Stokes MVO, 2nd Bn King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regt

77. Maj Thomas Robert Eaton Wybault Warren Swettenham, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt

78. 2 Lt Jervoise Graham Tayler 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regt

79. Lt (temp Capt.) Audley Delves Thursby, 3rd Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps

80. Lt Col Henry Percy Uniacke CB, Comd 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders

81. Maj George Henry Walford, Suffolk Regt

82. Capt Charles Francis Ward, Royal Field Artillery

83. Capt George Ernest Weatherhead, Adjt 2nd Bn KORLR

84. Capt Guy Franey Wells, Adjt Royal Engineers

85. Maj George Godfrey Massy-Wheeler VC, 7th Hariana Lancers

86. Lt Cyril Frederick Wilson, 5th Dragoon Guards

87. Capt Cecil John Talbot Rhys Wingfield, 4th Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps

88. Capt Collingwood Lindsay Wood, 18th QMO Hussars

89. Capt John Lockhard Wood DSO 18th QMO Hussars

90. Lt Col Lewis Ironside Wood CMG, Comd 2nd Bn Border Regt

91. Capt Kenrick Talbot Woodmass, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt

92. Lt (temp Capt) Allan O’Halloran Wright, Adjt 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles

93. Lt Col David Coley Young, 1/4th Gurkha Rifles

94. Commander Charles Frederick Ballard RN, HMS Formidable

tharkin56:

I have photos of Captain Loscombe Law Stable 2nd RWF in polo kit ........... any use?

As I am short of portraits of a few RWF officers who may well have played polo, is it possible to have a RWF list of "haves" from you?

Martin G Thanks alot...

GRUMPY yes i will have a look and would appreciate the photo.

Quick look Ballard would be the only non Army player. No 94.

Post update later

Trevor

Curhalios Have you tried the polo monthlies. ?

Trevor

1. Lt Colin McDairmid Allardice 14th KEO Sikhs ADD

2. Maj Macclesfield Heptinstall Anderson 33rd QVO Light Cavalry ADD

3. Lt Col Osbert Clinton-Baker CO 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles have with photo

4. Capt Percy D’Aguilar Banks QVO Corps of Guides FF have with photo

5. Lt Samuel Tudor Barr, 3rd King’s Own Hussars have with poor photo

6. Lt Rupert Sunderland Barrett, 8th Bn (Victoria) AIF ADD

7. Lt Alfred William Batson 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry have with photo

8. Capt Francis Hugh Beaufort 2nd Bn Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry ADD

9. Capt Henry Owen Dabridge-Court Becher, 1st Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) ADD

10. Lt Rowland Auriol James Beech, 16th Lancers Have with photo

11. Lt D’Arcy Frank Blofeld, 2nd Life Guards have with poor photo

12. Lt William Torquill Macleod Bolitho 19th Hussars ADD

13. Maj Reginald Edwin Bond, 4th PAV Rajputs ADD

14. Lt Oscar Brown, 7th Hariana Lancers attd 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards have with photo

15. Capt Walter Donald Bush, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

16. Capt Percival Christian Chapman Royal Garrison Artillery have with photo

17. Capt Robert Vere Clerk, Adjt 7th Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) ADD

18. Capt Robert Alexander Colvin, Adjt 2nd Bn POW West Yorkshire Regt ADD

19. Capt Alexander Stewart Cooper, 1st Bn King’s Own Scottish Borderers ADD

20. Maj Charles Harold Corbett, 18th QMO Hussars have with photo

21. Capt Alfred Sackville Cresswell, 2nd Bn Buffs (East Kent Regt) have with photo

22. Capt Percy Beattie-Crozier, 4th PAV Rajputs have with photo

23. Capt Thomas Henry Withers Cunliffe, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

24. Capt Godfrey Chase Deans, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

25. Capt Barrington Blomfield Dickson 1st Bn Northamptonshire Regt ADD

26. Capt James Dixon, Adjt 2nd Bn Middlesex Regt have with photo

27. Lt Robert St John Blacker Douglass MC, 1st Bn Irish Guards ADD

28. Maj Ernest Elliot Edelmann DSO RGA Commandant 23rd Peshawar Mtn Bty (FF) have with photo

29. Lt Charles Vivian de Grete Edye, Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry ADD

30. Capt Annesley Charles Edward St George Gore, 2/9th Gurkha Rifles. ADD

31. Capt Francis Octavius Grenfell VC 9th Lancers have with photo

32. Lt John Edward Gresson 2nd Bn Cheshire Regt ADD

33. Maj John Gwynne Griffith 32nd Lancers, Bde Maj 9th Cav Bde. have with photo

34. Lt Rupert Vardon de Burgh Griffith, 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers ADD

35. Capt George Clement Griffiths, 13th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

36. Capt John George Harter, Durham Light Infantry, Brigade Major. ADD

37. Lt Wickham Leathes Harvey, 7th DCO Rajputs ADD

38. Lt Col Frederick Richard Hicks, CO 1st Bn Hampshire Regt have with photo

39. Lt Col Henry William Ernest Hitchins, CO 1st Bn Manchester Regt have with photo

40. Maj Francis Duncan Irvine RE 1st Inf Bde AIF ADD

41. Lt Col Francis Augustus Jacques 2IC 14th KGO Sikhs ADD

42. Capt (temp) Walter James 10th Bn Durham Light Infantry ADD

43. Lt Col Francis George Jones, CO 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ADD

44. Lt Hilary Gresford Evan-Jones, 1st Bn Welsh Regt ADD

45. Capt Stanley Jones, 1st Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers ADD

46. Capt William Mortimer Lanyon, 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles. have with photo

47. Lt Col George Brenton Laurie CO 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles ADD

48. Capt Francis James Leah, Adjt 2nd Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry ADD

49. Lt Hugo Molesworth Legge, 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers ADD

50. Maj Frederick Sutherland Lillie, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

51. Maj Charles Elmhurst Luard DSO, 1st Bn Norfolk Regt ADD

52. Maj Alexander Henry Campbell MacGregor, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers ADD

53. Capt George Dudley Mathew 2/2nd KEO Gurkha Rifles (Simoor Rifles) ADD

54. Lt Col Archibald Skirving Woolery Moffat 1st (attd 2nd ) Bn Border Regt ADD

55. Col William Scott-Moncrieff Comd 156th Inf Bde MEF ADD

56. Capt Sidney Herbert Foster Muriel, 1st Bn Border Regt ADD

57. Maj Arundell Neave, 16th Lancers with photo

58. Capt Gerard Arthur O’Callaghan, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

59. Capt Robert John Charles Otter, 2nd (attd 1st ) Bn Norfolk Regt with photo

60. Maj Frederick Nigel Parbury, 20th Bty Royal Field Artillery ADD

61. Capt Archibald Kenneth park, 1/10th attd 1/6th Gurkha Rifles ADD

62. Capt John Francis Brice Pearse, 3rd Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps ADD

63. Lt Algernon Fane Keane-Penrose, 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ADD

64. Lt Thomas Percy Pilcher, 2nd Bn Rifle Brigade with photo

65. Lt Charles Pilter, 18th QMO Hussars with photo

66. Lt Alwyne Morton Francis Worsley Porter, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

67. Capt Archibald Douglas Hussey Ray, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

68. Capt William Gerald Renton, 1st King’s Dragoon Guards ADD

69. Capt Harold Christopher Richmond, 1st Bn Gloucestershire Regt ADD

70. Brig-Gen James Foster Riddell, late 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, Comd North’d Inf Bde ADD

71. Lt Col Ivor d’Esterre Roberts, Royal Field ArtilleryADD

72. Capt Arthur Courtenay Saunders, 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry have with photo

73. Maj Harold Shaw, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

74. Capt Sidney James Belton Sparling, 57th Wilde’s Rifles (FF), Maj (temp) Royal Marines have with photo

75. Lt George Eric Guy Stacpoole, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

76. Lt Haldane Day Stokes MVO, 2nd Bn King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regt ADD

77. Maj Thomas Robert Eaton Wybault Warren Swettenham, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt ADD

78. 2 Lt Jervoise Graham Tayler 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regt ADD

79. Lt (temp Capt.) Audley Delves Thursby, 3rd Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps have with photo

80. Lt Col Henry Percy Uniacke CB, Comd 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders have with photo

81. Maj George Henry Walford, Suffolk Regt ADD

82. Capt Charles Francis Ward, Royal Field Artillery ADD

83. Capt George Ernest Weatherhead, Adjt 2nd Bn KORLR ADD

84. Capt Guy Franey Wells, Adjt Royal Engineers ADD

85. Maj George Godfrey Massy-Wheeler VC, 7th Hariana Lancers have with cigarette card image

86. Lt Cyril Frederick Wilson, 5th Dragoon Guards ADD

87. Capt Cecil John Talbot Rhys Wingfield, 4th Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps ADD

88. Capt Collingwood Lindsay Wood, 18th QMO Hussars ADD

89. Capt John Lockhard Wood DSO 18th QMO Hussars ADD

90. Lt Col Lewis Ironside Wood CMG, Comd 2nd Bn Border Regt ADD

91. Capt Kenrick Talbot Woodmass, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt ADD

92. Lt (temp Capt) Allan O’Halloran Wright, Adjt 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles ADD

93. Lt Col David Coley Young, 1/4th Gurkha Rifles ADD

94. Commander Charles Frederick Ballard RN, HMS Formidable ADD

I make that 57 add to my book

1. Lt Colin McDairmid Allardice 14th KEO Sikhs ADD

2. Maj Macclesfield Heptinstall Anderson 33rd QVO Light Cavalry ADD

6. Lt Rupert Sunderland Barrett, 8th Bn (Victoria) AIF ADD

8. Capt Francis Hugh Beaufort 2nd Bn Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry ADD

9. Capt Henry Owen Dabridge-Court Becher, 1st Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) ADD

12. Lt William Torquill Macleod Bolitho 19th Hussars ADD

13. Maj Reginald Edwin Bond, 4th PAV Rajputs ADD

15. Capt Walter Donald Bush, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

17. Capt Robert Vere Clerk, Adjt 7th Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) ADD

18. Capt Robert Alexander Colvin, Adjt 2nd Bn POW West Yorkshire Regt ADD

19. Capt Alexander Stewart Cooper, 1st Bn King’s Own Scottish Borderers ADD

23. Capt Thomas Henry Withers Cunliffe, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

24. Capt Godfrey Chase Deans, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

27. Lt Robert St John Blacker Douglass MC, 1st Bn Irish Guards ADD

30. Capt Annesley Charles Edward St George Gore, 2/9th Gurkha Rifles. ADD

36. Capt John George Harter, Durham Light Infantry, Brigade Major. ADD

37. Lt Wickham Leathes Harvey, 7th DCO Rajputs ADD

40. Maj Francis Duncan Irvine RE 1st Inf Bde AIF ADD

43. Lt Col Francis George Jones, CO 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ADD

44. Lt Hilary Gresford Evan-Jones, 1st Bn Welsh Regt ADD

47. Lt Col George Brenton Laurie CO 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles ADD

48. Capt Francis James Leah, Adjt 2nd Bn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry ADD

49. Lt Hugo Molesworth Legge, 3rd Bn Royal Fusiliers ADD

50. Maj Frederick Sutherland Lillie, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

51. Maj Charles Elmhurst Luard DSO, 1st Bn Norfolk Regt ADD

52. Maj Alexander Henry Campbell MacGregor, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers ADD

53. Capt George Dudley Mathew 2/2nd KEO Gurkha Rifles (Simoor Rifles) ADD

54. Lt Col Archibald Skirving Woolery Moffat 1st (attd 2nd ) Bn Border Regt ADD

55. Col William Scott-Moncrieff Comd 156th Inf Bde MEF ADD

56. Capt Sidney Herbert Foster Muriel, 1st Bn Border Regt ADD

58. Capt Gerard Arthur O’Callaghan, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

60. Maj Frederick Nigel Parbury, 20th Bty Royal Field Artillery ADD

61. Capt Archibald Kenneth park, 1/10th attd 1/6th Gurkha Rifles ADD

62. Capt John Francis Brice Pearse, 3rd Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps ADD

63. Lt Algernon Fane Keane-Penrose, 1st Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers ADD

66. Lt Alwyne Morton Francis Worsley Porter, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

67. Capt Archibald Douglas Hussey Ray, 4th Bn Worcestershire Regt ADD

68. Capt William Gerald Renton, 1st King’s Dragoon Guards ADD

69. Capt Harold Christopher Richmond, 1st Bn Gloucestershire Regt ADD

70. Brig-Gen James Foster Riddell, late 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, Comd North’d Inf Bde ADD

71. Lt Col Ivor d’Esterre Roberts, Royal Field ArtilleryADD

73. Maj Harold Shaw, 1st Bn Lancashire Fusiliers ADD

75. Lt George Eric Guy Stacpoole, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regt ADD

76. Lt Haldane Day Stokes MVO, 2nd Bn King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regt ADD

77. Maj Thomas Robert Eaton Wybault Warren Swettenham, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt ADD

78. 2 Lt Jervoise Graham Tayler 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regt ADD

81. Maj George Henry Walford, Suffolk Regt ADD

82. Capt Charles Francis Ward, Royal Field Artillery ADD

83. Capt George Ernest Weatherhead, Adjt 2nd Bn KORLR ADD

84. Capt Guy Franey Wells, Adjt Royal Engineers ADD

86. Lt Cyril Frederick Wilson, 5th Dragoon Guards ADD

87. Capt Cecil John Talbot Rhys Wingfield, 4th Bn King’s Royal Rifle Corps ADD

88. Capt Collingwood Lindsay Wood, 18th QMO Hussars ADD

89. Capt John Lockhard Wood DSO 18th QMO Hussars ADD

90. Lt Col Lewis Ironside Wood CMG, Comd 2nd Bn Border Regt ADD

91. Capt Kenrick Talbot Woodmass, 2nd Bn East Yorkshire Regt ADD

92. Lt (temp Capt) Allan O’Halloran Wright, Adjt 1st Bn Royal Irish Rifles ADD

93. Lt Col David Coley Young, 1/4th Gurkha Rifles ADD

94. Commander Charles Frederick Ballard RN, HMS Formidable ADD

A 9% increase. Given this is only the died, and for the first six months of 1915, assuming a 40% fatality ratio it implies there are hundreds more that have not yet been captured. You may be missing somewhere in the region of 500 Officers.

I will create a subset of the obits with photos. Will have to wait until next week. MG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I went to ground a little bit of the last few weeks due to half term and researching a local war memorial (found in a cupboard) for re-dedication by the Bishop in July. 112 names.

i have updated the names provided forum as going through some books I have, not searchable like your database. BOS2.

Found 12 in War Illustrated and three in British Roll of Honour.

Although took opportunity to reread and although in once case he hunted with the hounds no mention of polo despite being three pages.

Thanks again for your help

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

From other sources pulled out photos so these left;