Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

Just obtained the regimental history for the PWO South Lancs. 1914 -1934.

Let me know if any look-ups are required.

Dave.

By 'eck, dave

If I'd known you were going to buy a full set of Lancs, I'd have waited and not spent a day at Fulwood researching. I bet you end up buying a Borders next week, seeing I was up in Carlisle yesterday.

However, see my two other posts in this section

John

:rolleyes:

Where from and how much, please (me Grand-dad's unit)

Bernard Lewis

If I'd known you were going to buy a full set of Lancs, I'd have waited and not spent a day at Fulwood researching. I bet you end up buying a Borders next week, seeing I was up in Carlisle yesterday.

Probably John!

My wife's Grandfather was in this lot!

(I'm up there at a wedding in 3 weeks, so we'll have to see!) :D

Dave.

Where from and how much, please (me Grand-dad's unit)

Bernard Lewis

Bernard,

From Fullwood Barracks, Preston and £34. (More histories to come - they plan to reprint 2 volumes per year, covering all time periods)

Dave.

According to Stuart Eastwood, curator at the Borders' Museum, Naval & Military are going to reprint history some time this year. He is going to be speaking to Lancs & Cheshire WFA about this time next year on The Borders in WW1

John

It's already out, John.

Dave.

John.

I thought I'd just forewarn you, before you go swanning off to look anything up!

I've now got the regimental history of the King's Scousers on order from the N&MP.

(I thought I'd better let you know, before you shoot off to Mann Island without telling me!!! :P )

Dave. :D

Dave

Give me a shout when it arrives. i do have one Kings Scouser on the Memorial. Got some info already off the museum but would like to check.

My list of units that I'm going to have to do a PRO visit on continues to grow - mainly due to museums not responding (email or snail). The household authorities have, however, approved a period of two or three nights leave of absence for this purpose - but not till the decorating is finished (so, a couple of years off, then)

Are you sure the Borders is an WW1 "original" reprint by N & M? The museum has just published its own general history . The curator was most unthrilled about the N&M one coming out as they do not get a penny.

John

B)

Give me a shout when it arrives. i do have one Kings Scouser on the Memorial. Got some info already off the museum but would like to check.

Will do ,John.

The Border history at the N&MP is a 272 page reprint of Col.H.C.Wylly's 1924 original and is priced at £22.

I probably won't be getting this one (yet), as I haven't got any member of the Borders that I'm planning to research at the moment. Stuart Eastwood sent me a photocopy a of the pages relevent to my wife's Grandad a while ago, so I'm in no hurry to get it. (Knowing me,though, I probably will!)

Dave.

Dave,

If possible I would like to know if the book has much on the 6th Battalion at Sannaiyat, Mesopotamia, on 9 April 1916. My interest lies particularly with a 2nd Lt. George Hubbard Reynolds (10th Bn, attached 6th) who was killed that day.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew.

Just for ease, I've scanned the relevent pages (actually, it's because I'm feeling particularly lazy today!!! :D ). See the following:

Dave

post-16-1052692041.jpg

Next page. (I don't know if it's possible to attach multiple images to one posting,is it??? ;) )

No, sorry. Chris.

post-16-1052692177.jpg

Finally, a photo of the area. (I'll send you a better quality scan via email if you wish.)

post-16-1052692303.jpg

David,

Thou art a Gentleman and a Scholar. Your efforts on my behalf are much appreciated. Would you mind if I take up your offer of an e-mail of the aerial photo?

Thanks,

Andrew

:D

No problem at all, Andrew.

Could I ask that you send me an email first,though, so I know your email address. (I can't send scans from the one I use on this site).

Cheers,

Dave.

• 1 month later...

I've been asked ,off forum, by a few people as to where I obtained my editions of the East,North and South Lancs. histories. Just in case anyone else was wondering, I got mine from the QLR Regimental HQ at Fullwood Barracks in Preston, Lancs., but I've just found out that the N&MP have also just re-printed them all. These are available (in hardback) for the same price that the QLR museum are selling them. However, if bought from the N&MP, no money goes to the QLR museum's (with it's excellent archive) upkeep, whereas, if they're bought direct from Fullwood, it does.(thereby you can buy an excellent piece of research and donate to a worthy cause at the same time!)

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

Could you let me have some details on what the 2nd Bn. SLR were doing around October 24th, 1914.

Cheers.

Andy

Andy. This is the entry for 20th to the 26th October. It appears they were out of the line on the 24th.

Dave.

post-16-1057427596.jpg

Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. One question however; if they were out of the line on the 24th, as the passage says, then why does SDGW (and the CWGC) indicate that some 150 OR's were killed on that day? A mystery! Any ideas?

Cheers.

Andy.

Andy

As you suggest SDGW shows the 150 KIA on 24 October and only 3 on 21 October. Clearly the dates are wrong somewhere. I checked out the first three names listed on SDGW against the CWGC record (which confirmed the 24th). This suggests that it's the book that is probably wrong.

Your best bet would be to get hold of a copy of the war diary and see what's what. The museum at Fullwood Barracks has a copy.

I've lent my copy of The First 7 Divisions (which covers this period) to a friend. If it comes back in the next few days, I'll check to see if there's any reference that helps.

John

B)

Andy

This remains a mystery to me. Retrieved my book at work today and, whilst it doesnt make any specific reference to the Bn on either 21 or 24th, all the Division's action is shown as being on 21st. It's most odd for SDGW to be massively wrong about dates. Still reckon you need to get hold of the Diary.

John

• 6 months later...

Dave,

I realise this might be a very silly question but what the hell...its Friday.

I was just wondering what your South Lancs POW index covered as I have an interest in a soldier who was enagaged for at least part of the war in guarding prisoners of war.

The chap's name was Frank Davenport and the family story is that he was with the South Lancs (possibly 8th batt.), worked with horses for a period (?) but then with pows. He did survive the war but beyond that I know nothing.

Sorry to be so vague and I realise this is a long shot but would your source offer anything useful on soldiers who were not pows themselves, but worked with them?

Alway supposing the pow tale has some substance, could you give me some pointers as to where Frank might have been stationed, particularly from 1917 onwards?

Many thanks

Jane