Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gully Ravine June 1915

SueRC

I'm researching the 2nd Battalion Inniskilling Fusiliers at Galipoli and in particular an officer who was killed on the 24th June at Gully Ravine. From what I've read it seems that the major battle in this area started on the 28th and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there was anything specific happening on the 24th or if this young man was sadly likely to be the victim of day to day trench warfare. Any help would very much appreciated

The CWGC list "only" 42 casualties on this day , includes 7 Aussies and 1 Indian. Think trench warfare victim is most likely. Ralph. (1362 listed for the 28th)

Hi Skipman, He was Lieutenant Charles Sartoris. According to CWGC he was with the Leicestershire Regt but attached to the 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers. I've also seen references to him serving with 2nd Btn Inniskilling Fusiliers, he's buried at Twelve Tree Copse. Unfortunately being a novice at this I get very confused as to which regiment to research when I have someone who is attached to another when he's killed. Also would attachments be temporary and for official purposes would he still be classed as a member of the Leicestershires?

It certainly appears he was attached to the 2nd Royal Fusiliers when killed. The Gallipoli campaign diaries are not yet available to download. I think you probably need his service record as suggested earlier Click Not sure when he served with the Inniskillings.

Mike

No help in finding what happened on June 24th 1915 at Gully Ravine, but attached is an obit for Charles Sartoris published in The Times on Thursday July 1 1915. It may be of interest. Note it states that he was attached to the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

post-43672-0-22203700-1429293709_thumb.j

Sue

Major-General Egerton, GOC 52nd Division, recorded visiting the trenches in his diary on 24 June:

'Just as we left the front trenches a young officer, Lieutenant Sartoris, 7th Fusiliers, was brought by dead - just killed. He appears to have wandered out in front of the line and I fear was shot by his own men.'

The 2nd RF war diary stated:

9pm 'O/Post [observation post?] reports about 30 of enemy moved into trench about 30 yards from him which caused him to retire 36 yards. Order given for an officer patrol [officer 2Lt H Cooper named in margin] to verify by proceeding to place where Turks were reported. Reports found correct. Patrol did immediately after retire altogether as the enemy drew in closer and remained in nullah about 90 yards away. It was inadvisable to send out further patrols as situation was well in hand. Casualties Killed Offr 1, wounded O/Ranks 1.'

Killed officer was presumably Sartoris but does not mention the manner of his death. Handwriting is difficult to decipher - I'd advise reading the original if you can get to Kew as it may not be available to download.

Kind regards

Colin

• 4 weeks later...