Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are these officers?

researchingreg

While looking through a family photo album I found photos of these two officers. I cannot work out who they are.

Perhaps they are each from different regiments. Can anybody identify the regiment/s?

The Captain is not wearing a Sam Browne and has a medal ribbon The photos were taken in late 1916 in Shelford Cambridgeshire.

post-98977-0-28593900-1429209233_thumb.p

Here is a slightly better photo of the 2nd Lt

post-98977-0-82396800-1429209331_thumb.j

Service Corps?

They could be Service Corps as my uncle Gus was in the ASC at the same time and they could have been visiting the house. However I think they have different cap badges and the 2nd Lt has a darker shirt and tie to the Captain, possibly a different uniform.

post-98977-0-81499600-1429215999_thumb.j

This ASC cap badge does seem like the junior officers badge so he was ASC

post-98977-0-21287200-1429216987_thumb.j

I think the captain may be Royal Engineers

Is that overseas service chevrons on the captain's right sleeve, above his rank insignia? Might just be a wrinkle in the sleeve but they look to be quite regular in shape...

I think they are overseas service chevrons and he might have got his medal overseas

If possible, I would like a closer look at the captains collar badge, unless someone with better sight than me can assist.

khaki

I think the Captain is ASC as well, if you zoom in on the cap badge the points of the "star" can be faintly seen.

I think the Captain is ASC as well, if you zoom in on the cap badge the points of the "star" can be faintly seen.

Yes, you are right, I think the collar badge has a bit of light distortion on it which confused me, but enlargement of the cap badge certainly confirms the unit identity.

thanks

khaki

I'm sure that these photographs have been on the Forum before. I noticed it last year. I will try and find the thread.

Brian

The darker collar and tie have no significance, I suspect.

I'm sure that these photographs have been on the Forum before. I noticed it last year. I will try and find the thread.

Brian

Yes you are right I thought the junior officer was a relation of mine who was a Royal Engineers officer Bert King. However I now have photos of him and now know this is a different man.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207758&hl=

Also it makes sense they were both ASC men as they seem to have got on very well and enjoyed themselves and were probably in the same unit. And my uncle Gus certainly put the booze away - see this photo:

post-98977-0-86531000-1429265025_thumb.j