Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

63rd Royal Naval Division

Mark

I'm researching men on our local war memorial and have a man, recorded by CWGC, of the 1st Royal Marine Battalion, RND, Royal Marine Light Infantry. Would service records (if they survived) be held at the PRO/NA? What about Medal Index Cards/Medal Rolls etc?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. :)

For attestation papers try the Royal Naval Air Service Museum/Archives. I believe the story behind it is that a number of officers and men from the Naval Division transferred to the RNAS. Years later the service papers/records of the Naval Division were unwanted and did not have a home, and the RNAS Museum (thankfully) stepped in and said we're take them all.

Try looking up their website although you may have a long wait re enquiries and there is almost definitely a fee to pay.

Sorry if this seems picky (it is not meant to be!!), but it is actually called the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. Simply type FAAM into a search engine and you will land on their website. They have RND, RMLI and RMA, but I hope you are not in a hurry for them. I made a request last August and I'm still waiting.

Royal Marine service records and medal rolls are at the PRO/NA. not Yeovil. If I remember correctly they are in class ADM159. They are pretty detailed and include dates of wound etc.

Kate - not picky at all. I had a mental block and reverted back to WW1 era (very unusual)!

Paul - are you sure about the RM in the RND as I have looked and found service papers for many RMLI but a particular RMLI who was in RM1, I could not find in ADM159 at the PRO.

Royal Marine service records and medal rolls are at the PRO/NA. not Yeovil.

Odd. One of the archivists assured me they had a truckload of Royal Marine Artillery records, which could be accessed if the researcher knew the service number, as they are stacked in service number order.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mark,

A guy who has done a lot of work on the RND can be found by typing in 'Jack Clegg' on a yahoo search, forgotten his real name. Jack Clegg was his grandfather (I think!) who was KiA.

Worth a shot.

Ian

:)

Hi all

My great uncle was in the RMLI 2nd Bn. and was killed at Passchendaele 26th October 1917, naturally I have researched him.

From the PRO came his service record showing quite a lot of detail, when enlisted, where posted, illness, description, promotion, and death, even the war gratuity paid - all this came from ADM159/146 (for my man)

From the Fleet Air Arm Museum came a whole lot more! Attestation, description, medical, conduct sheet, casualty form - all provided free to those NOK - you may make a donation and I would strongly recommend doing so as the information was superb.

My Uncle was in the Chatham Division and papers for men serving in this division exist at the FAAM there are also Portsmouth Division and Plymouth Division - only one of these sets of papers exist at the FAAM and so you will have to contact them first to fidn out which ones. I would recommend a telephone call to Mrs Jan Keohane at the FAAM 01935 840565

FAAM museum link http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Home.html

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew

To back up Kate, the wait for a reply from the FAAM (other than an acknowledgement of the enquiry) can be very long. I've been waiting four months now - so Kate's news that she's been waiting since last August suggests I have quite a long time more to wait! Mind you I'm not complaining - they must get a heap of requests and I imagine their organisation falls neatly into the 'understaffed, underpaid and overused' category.

I can always rely on the Baker Pals :)

Many thanks to all those who have helped. Looks like I'll be at the back of a long queue.

By luck (!) I happen to be travelling past the FAAM on business tomorrow so I might be able to squeeze in a quick visit :lol:

Oh, I forgot the Deal Division as well!

Mark, I would suggest that you do visit as I feel this will be worthwhile, for a £15 research fee you can access all the information that you want, I do believe this may include photocopying costs as well.

What is the name and number of your chap/chaps?

By the way, I waited six months, but is was worth it!

Regards

Andrew

Andrew

I think I'll just make a quick recce tomorrow as I'll be pushed for time but thanks for the advice. Details on my man are:

P/O 19898 Pte Arthur William Widger

1st RM Battalion, RND, RMLI

KIA 8.10.18 Age 21

Vis en Artois Memorial Panel 1

Son of Augustus George and Amy Eliza Widger of 2 Bay Tree Cottages, Sarisbury Green, Hampshire

Regards

MARK

Mark

Portsmouth Division man, as I said, I can't remember which Division they don't have....

Good luck

Regards

Andrew