Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.I.D Emblem

Guest scott leader

Guest scott leader

The MIC confirms the award of the M.I.D, but I can't find it in the L/G, he was also awarded the Military Medal 17/7/1917 - L/G I've found this ok.

41876 Sjt P M Brisley R.F.A.

At the side of the EM/2/1397 it says - Mssd, states no trace 10.6.20, what's this mean?

post-31-1100080496.jpg

We can't see the whole MIC but the bit above shows the issue of a clasp and rosette rather than a MID emblem. The clasp essentially is to denote service under fire 05.08.14 to 22.11.14.

I am no MIC expert and I may be corrected here.

"EM/*****" Usually refers to "Emblem" ie:~ the 'Oak Leaves' Emblem of an MiD,[Clasps & Roses/etc; Above indicate he was also entitled to those]The 'No Trace' anotation might suggest that Indexing Staff could find no record of it being Gazetted either?Possibly the MiD was usurped by an award of the MM in its stead.

The idea he was MiD must have originated from some official source,possibly it is /was on his Service Record,Or it may be that he was rewarded with an MM instead{I presume you have tried a LG search just using his Surname~ possibly a Long job,but often the safest way of locating an entry,if you dont know how the Promulgation was worded,[or a Different spelling?]}There should be a seperate MiD Index Card if entitled[Not on line as yet]as well as the MM Card

THE MID EMBLEM WAS ANNOUNCED IN A/O 12.1 20.MEN NO LONGER SERVING HAD TO APPLY TO RECORDS OF THE CORPS IN WHICH THEY LAST SERVED FOR THE AWARD. THIS LINE REFERS TO AN ENQUIRY MADE ON THE DATE SHOWN WHICH HAD COME BACK "NO TRACE FOUND" MSSD DEFEATS ME, I GUESS IT IS THE OFFICE OR INDIVIDUAL WHO MADE THE SEARCH? BEST WISHES, HOWARD.

Guest scott leader

Yes, their must have been some sort of source in the first place to merit the MID, like you mention a different spelling of the surname? Bisley,Birsley,?? might bring up the L/G on line. Help :(

If the card lists are being reproduced on the NA site then you should be aware that these cards are by no means complete. The absence of a card does not mean that there was no MIC

Mick

John

You may find a mention of his MID but you're highly unlikely to find the reason for it. I've seen the odd reference in war diaries and unit histories but these are the exception rather than the rule.

The same goes for the Military Medal

Mick