Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plagiarism by me?

Kathie

I have written something about the East African campaign and have a dreadful feeling I have taken this phrasing from someone's book - n

But cannot find it. Can anyone I'd where I might have got this?r maybe it's made up by me?

"Inhospitable terrain, malevolent climate, transport difficulties, supply shortages, debilitating sickness"

Anyone recognise"

Kathie

I tried Googling it, but nothing came up on a quick search (a method I have used with success with suspect essays submitted by students!), and which doesn't of course rule out inadvertent plagiarism...

It does happen. Some authors have even been known to add to their introductions a sentence to the effect of 'If I have inadvertently paraphrased another, that is entirely by mistake, and evidently happened because that author had such a gifted way with words that the original phrase has remained in my mind'... :closedeyes:

Trajan

Kathie

Greetings

Please forget it.

All you have done is to write the truth - the words could have come out of a General's dispatch.

Harry

I agree with Harry, I've been on holidays and written much the same on postcards.

If you want to dig a step deeper, try googling from the Google Books site search box at https://books.google.co.uk/.

NB It's not in Edward Paice's "Tip and Run", I can tell you that much.

sJ

Thank you all -I am away from home so. O books -so retread Ross Anderson's book as e thesis but couldn't find it there - glad to here it's not in tip and run - still have a niggle so will check when get home. Kathie

I have searched Google Books for "malevolent climate" and this is the only quotation that comes anywhere near what you have: "She detested the country, the malevolent climate, the demands of the farm."

Oddly enough it is from William Boyd's "An Ice Cream War" so there is a WW1 East Africa connection. But I do not think it constitutes anything remotely like plagiarism. Relax and enjoy your time away.

sJ

• 1 month later...
"Inhospitable terrain, malevolent climate, transport difficulties, supply shortages, debilitating sickness"

Sounds like one of the family camping holidays of my youth that we kids were forced to "enjoy"!