Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RNR (Royal Naval Reserve ?)

FarnhillVolunteers

I have what seems to be the WW1 naval service record of a local man who I know volunteered to serve before the introduction of conscription in 1916. But from what I can read of it, it looks as if he went into service at Victory I (or is it 1?) on September 1917 and was then transfered as a deckhand to RNRI (or again, is it 1?). After that the page is blank - although there's plenty of space ?

So questions:

1. What/where was Victory I (or 1) ?
  2. What is the significance of the I (or 1) in the designation RNRI ?
  3. Any thoughts as to what this chap's future career in the navy might have been ? Surely they didn't just train-up men and then "moth-ball" them ? He was a tailor, so could he have been transferred to a shore-based job suited to his trade ?

Any help with this gratefully received.

Victory I (Roman numeral) was the administrative base at Portsmouth to which ratings were attached when on duties around the naval base or on ships based there, if I recall correctly.

I'm not 100% convinced by RNRI. Could it be RNR T (Royal Naval Reserve Trawler service)?

Thank you seaJane.

I should have included a scan of the document in my original post. I do so now.

post-121485-0-65658900-1428417384_thumb.

Take a look. I suppose it just possibly could be RNRT but I'm still inclined towards RNRI - unless you can say definitively that there was no such thing. Basically, I'm looking for confirmation.

Nevertheless, thank you for your time and trouble. I'm considerably further forward now than I was.

I agree, it looks like RNRI ... I also find him in the "RNR Service Records 1850-1955", BT 377/7/65432, here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8526502 with number DA 19006 - that may have more information?

sJ

The fact that after completion of training he transferred from being categorised as an Ordinary Seaman to a Deck Hand certainly supports the notion that he went into the RNR (Trawler Section).

And pretty sure that there was never any such thing as RNRI.

I have what seems to be the WW1 naval service record of a local man who I know volunteered to serve before the introduction of conscription in 1916.

Are you quite certain that you have the right Rupert Barker? Only the record you show clearly has him joining the navy in Sept. 1917 (i.e. after conscription was introduced). FYI there was another Rupert Barker (details below), could he possibly better fit the profile?

E.R.A., 2nd Cl., Rupert Barker, O.N. M1292 (Ch.)- Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for service in destroyers.

mightThere

All,

I'm absolutely certain that the man whose document I posted really is the man I'm interested in -- Rupert Edward Barker; b. 8/5/1896, Kildwick in Yorkshire.

I'm also certain that he appears in a list, drawn up in January 1916, of men from Farnhill who had already volunteered; i.e. before conscription.

Part of my interest is to do with why there was such a gap between him volunteering and starting his training -- a minimum of 20 months. Any thoughts ?

Thanks all.

Fell ill?

A long gap between volunteering and formal enlistment was very common for naval volunteers. Usually they were enrolled into the RNVR (under a 'Y' number) while continuing to follow their civilian employment. They were then, later, formally enlisted as the demands of the Service required. You could find out whether this was the case for this man by obtaining his RN engagement (enlistment) papers. These are held in the RN engagement ledgers at the Fleet Air Arm Museum:-

http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

I wonder whether he might have got a deferrment due to getting married and having a child -- in very rapid succession (in Q2 and Q3 of 1915) ?

If he volunteered as a single man with no dependents and then suddenly became a married man with a wife and child would that not have altered cases somewhat ?

I can't find him in RNVR service records 1903-1922, ADM 337 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-volunteer-reserve-service-records.htm, but I'm not sure that those records are complete. The Fleet Air Arm as recommended by horatio2 is probably your best bet.

sJ

The RNVR 'Y' ratings did not have service records. Their active service did not start until enlisted into the RN. The RNVR was a holding draft which was similar to the way men conscripted for the army were held in the army reserve until called forward for active service.