Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andy Wade

Hello Everyone,

I have chanced upon a name on a Keighley war memorial for 'Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel' which is currently in storage with our local museum. The man is Christopher Margerison Wilson and alongside his name on the memorial, it says 'died 1920'. His name, rank, regiment and number is also recorded in the illuminated book of honour for our WW1 dead in Keighley Library.

However, on searching with the CWGC I can find no mention of him.

His service records are available and I have downloaded them from Ancestry, all sources below are from his Army service record unless stated:

He served with the 21st Bn. Prince of Wales' Own West Yorkshire Regiment. Service number 27953 (source - medal roll).

He was discharged to Z Reserve on 6th March 1919 (source - medal card).

He was awarded a pension at discharge for a 50% disability by bronchitis, which was noted as 'war attributable', dated 8th April 1919.

The Army was informed of his death the next year by the local police by letter although I think this might have been to confirm details of whom they should send his medals to. At the time they wrote back to say they had a copy of his death certificate - he had died on 23rd April 1920.

His widow and one child were awarded a pension in November 1920, confirmed in a form from the Ministry of Pensions - Widows Branch.

Note: The army service records are under Christopher Margereson Wilson, a slight misspelling of his middle name, but it's definitely him as the home address and next of kin details are correct. Ancestry says just 4 pages but there were actually 43.

Kind regards,

Andy.

That's the question. I think he's a potential IFCP candidate, but then I have little experience in these matters.

I was hoping someone might be able to find him on CWGC so he could be ruled out altogether as a possible non-comm. I can't see him anywhere...

Can anyone else see this man on CWGC, because I can't? I have no problem ordering a death certificate for him but before I shell out for one I'd like to make absolutely sure that it's not just me that can't find him. If anyone could spare the time to work their own bit of magic on the CWGC search facility then I'd appreciate it.

I'm quite good at it myself, but sometimes I see people have found 'lost' men under another name when I haven't been able to, so I think some 'creative searching techniques' are needed to absolutely rule him in or out.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,

I tried searches:

• Service number only
  • Regiment name only (start 1914, end date 31.12.20)
  • Surname, "Wilson" only (start 1914, end date 31.12.20)
  • Date of death only (start 01.01.20, end 31.12.20)
  • Surname, "Marg*" only (start 1914, end date 31.12.20)

I found a couple of Margerison's in the same regiment (but wrong first names and dates), and a couple more of them that died in 1920 (but wrong regiments, first names, and day/month of death). I didn't though find anything obvious though for a C, or Christopher WILSON.

I also didn't see an entry for him in Soldiers' Effects using the year as 1920, under either Marg* or WILSON

Sorry not to of been much help.

Regards

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, that's similar to what I did. I think he really isn't on the CWGC database.

Because he had left service before dying, none of the usual service related records would show anything about his death, which leaves the death certificate.

If one of the IFCP lads could take a quick look first please to see if his to see if I've missed anything out, I'll order the DC. If the cause of death is bronchitis or similar, would that be enough to submit it?

• 4 years later...

His pension card indicates that he died from valvular disease of the heart, not bronchitis - did the DC say the same? The ledger gives no disabilities and is stamped "dormant".