Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ITALY, 1917-18

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Can anyone give me information on the Italian campaign of 1917-18, such as battle conditions and actions. I'm particularly interested in the activities of the 21st Manchesters, who were part of Plumer's Army in Italy.

Frank Bartholomew

For an overview of the campaign "The British Army in Italy 1917-1918" by John and Eileen Wilks is pretty good although it mentions only the 22nd Manchesters and not the 21st!

"Battleground Europe: Asiago" by Francis McKay is good, but doesn't mention the Manchesters at all.

"Across the Piave" by Norman Gladden gives a soldiers eye view. He was in a DLI battalion in the 23rd Div.

It would seem that the 21st Manchesters were perhaps not involved in the battles, so you would have to approach it from the 7th Division end, war diaries and so on for information on the battalion.

The 21st Mancs left 7th Division on 13th September 1918, and in so doing they missed the great victorious battles across the Piave and the Vittoria Veneto. That's why they get no mention in the book.

The 21st manchesters only get a mention "in passing" for their Italian campaign in M.Stedman's Manchester Pals book.

Dave.

Just remembered!!!!

I've got the 21st Bn history, that has a chapter (5 pages) devoted to their Italian jaunt.

Anything specific you want looking up, Frank?

Dave.