Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle, 7th Battalion Cameronian Scottish Rifles

royan155

Hi , I'm a total novice in researching. My great uncle, James Royan, lost his life at Gallipoli in November 1915 at the Krithia Nullah. I know very little about James. I don't even have a photograph of him so I can only imagine what he looked like.

I have managed to get an excerpt from the war diary leading up to the date he was killed from the Cameronian museum in Hamilton, Lanarkshire. It took a long time for a reply to come back but were they pointed me gave more information than I had in the 50 years plus I've known about him.

This is the entry for November 15th 1915 that I found with the museums help.

1312 Pte. ROYAN James

James was killed in action on Friday 19th November 1915 by shellfire or bombing in the Nullah sector.

He was born in Hutchesontown, Glasgow, enlisted at Glasgow.

Pte. Royan is interred in –

REDOUBT CEMETERY, Helles, Turkey. Plot XI. Row A. Grave 5.

I also have the diary extract of the daily activities of the regiment.

Could anyone help me in finding out more information on my great uncle, websites etc. I would like to find out more about the battalions movements from Scotland to Gallipoli, which boat would have taken them etc. each web site I go to inevitably ask for money.

As I say, I'm a novice and just need direction,

The Glasgow Evening Times Roll of Honour via the Mitchell Library in Glasgow has, according to the spreadsheet on their website, a record and a photograph of your great uncle. This would have been printed within the newspaper on 23 December 1915.Their website is at http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/.

He is also recorded on the Glasgow Roll of Honour and he lived at 369 Mathieson Street. His name is also recorded in the Cameronians Roll of Honour.

Douglas

Hi Douglas, That's amazing, thank you so much. I'll head down to the Mitchell next week. My Dad passed away in 1977 and it was himself that carried the story of James. I actually found out how he actually died rather than the version passed down to Dad but that was all I knew of him. Fingers crossed I get to see him now.

All the best . . . . . . . . . Jim

Hi Jim

Good luck at the Mitchell Library. I forgot to add that in the Scotlands People site under minor records, your great uncle's cause of death is recorded as k.a. (killed in action).

Douglas

Thanks Douglas, I know that his name recorded in Edinburgh Castle in the Cameronian's memorial book ( I saw it when I was a wee boy ) but as the names around him have their cause of death recorded his is blank, which puzzled me but I know now it was nothing mysterious. My Dad carried the story that James was 17/18 when he was killed and that he had his head blown off while taking food to troops in no mans land. I know now through the Cameronian's museum that they were shelled while "consolidating" the trenches they had taken 4 days earlier (along with 1 Sq Ayrshire Yeo. and 2 Companies Royal Scots Bn. T.F.) and that detailed information of this sort would most definitely not be given to the family, only that he'd been KIA. The museum thinks that what may have happened is that a friend who fought beside him and survived may have carried the story to a family member .

Thanks again for replying Douglas............................ Jim

• 3 years later...