Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have the medal card - where next?

Lindsay Girven

hi all

I hope you'll forgive me if I post this in the wrong place. I'm researching my husband's grandfather, Alfred Outtrim. We know he was an 'Old Contemptible' and I have his medal card, which is hopefully attached. If anyone can decipher the medal card I'd be very grateful - I can see he got the usual 3, but can't make out the fourth. And if anyone can point me in the direction of any other websites about the history of what the Old Contemtibles actually got up to, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Linzy

OOOPS... here's the attachment, sorry!

L

Word doc replaced by jpg image, and text highlighted.

post-20-1100464714.jpg

Edited by Chris_Baker

Linzy

There are 2 entries under the 1914 star. The first is for Clasp and Roses which are added to the 1914 star. For details of this see the main site.

The second reference is for the Silver War Badge (SWB). This was awarded for those discharged for wounds, pension, etc. Again, info is on the main site. The number next to SWB refers to the roll for the badge. These aren't online but will show you the reason for discharge and probably the dates of enlistment and discharge. You may also get his age. The roll are at the National Archives.

Mick

I can't make out the Regiment but they are all referred to in the main site.

Edited by Michael

Thanks very much Mick, I appreciate your help! We know he was exposed to mustard gas in the trenches, so that may be why he was discharged - next stop, the national archives. Thanks again.

L

Linzy:

Was checking the 1901-could this be yours?

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Alfred Outtrim 4 Kensal Green, London, England Son Hertford Hertfordshire

Alfred W Outtrim 32 Bloomsbury, London, England Head Hertford Hertfordshire

Edward Outtrim 7 Rotherham, Yorkshire, England Son Hertford Hertfordshire

Elizabeth S Outtrim 33 Slough, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Hertford Hertfordshire

Ethel M Outtrim 1 Hertford, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Olive M Outtrim 9 Kensal Green, Middlesex, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Winifred E Outtrim 2 Hertford, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Medal card of Outtrim, Alfred

Corps Regiment No Rank

Hertfordshire Regiment 2055 Private

Hertfordshire Regiment 265251 Private

This is an interesting one. His card seems to advise that he was a member of the 1st Battalion of the Hertfordshire Regiment. The Herts was a territorial regiment only and consisted of only three battalions. According to the Long Long Trail the 1st Battalion first served at Gallipoli in July 1915 yet his card indicates he entered a theatre of war on the 6th August 1914.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hereford.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Linzy:

Was checking the 1901-could this be yours?

gordon

Name Age in 1901 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Alfred Outtrim 4 Kensal Green, London, England Son Hertford Hertfordshire

Alfred W Outtrim 32 Bloomsbury, London, England Head Hertford Hertfordshire

Edward Outtrim 7 Rotherham, Yorkshire, England Son Hertford Hertfordshire

Elizabeth S Outtrim 33 Slough, Buckinghamshire, England Wife Hertford Hertfordshire

Ethel M Outtrim 1 Hertford, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Olive M Outtrim 9 Kensal Green, Middlesex, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Winifred E Outtrim 2 Hertford, Hertfordshire, England Daughter Hertford Hertfordshire

Dear Gordon

Yes, this is his family. Having such an unusual surname certainly helps with census searches! Alfred (junior) was known as Sunny Jim, and went on to marry twice, and have one son - my husband's father. We're having no success tracking down his first wife so far! The family stayed round Hertfordshire - my husband was born in St. Albans.

best wishes

Linzy

According to the Long Long Trail the 1st Battalion first served at Gallipoli in July 1915 yet his card indicates he entered a theatre of war on the 6th August 1914.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hereford.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Dear Tim

If you'll forgive me for asking what may be an obvious question - if he first entered a theatre of war in 1914, was he seconded to another regiment or something? I guess the NA may have something for me here.

And Hereford? That's where I'm from - small world!

Linzy :-)

hi again

I'm guessing you meant Hertfordshire, rather than Herefordshire though! According to http://www.1914-1918.net/hertford.htm, the 1st battalion went to France in Nov 1914, attached to the 4th (Guards) brigade - the same battalion that had fought the Battle of the Mons, if I'm reading it correctly. I have sooo much research to do!

L

The 1/1st Herts did indeed join the prestigious 4th (Guards) Bde - and became known as the Hertfordshire Guards thereafter!

The disembarkation date of 6 August 1914 is a real curiosity: did any British troops land that early, let alone a Territorial? Very odd.

You might also be interested to know that the reference to SWB indicaes that he was awarded the silver war badge when discharged. This indicates discharge due to wounds or sickness, usually. There is a roll for this at Kew; the card tells you which one.

If he turned out to serve in France in 1914, and made it to Gallipoli for 1915, wouldnt be the first time Ive seen that. Have 2 Beds soldiers on my database at home that had that 'pleasure' ( :huh: ).

6th August 1915 is a fairly common DOE for the Gallipoli Terriers, so perhaps its a typo ...??

Cheers

Steve