Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Memorial Arboretum - Gallipoli

alantwo

A couple of images of the Gallipoli Memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas. Rather nice mosaic of the peninsular.

Regards

Alan

post-74297-0-11205200-1427739652_thumb.j

post-74297-0-72928500-1427739904_thumb.j

Yes, I saw this on Friday. I rather thought the bare trees in the background were more relevant to the Somme than Gallipoli though!

Not sure I see the point of the "rather nice mosaic"... is it made from pieces of glass found on the beaches, or have anything relevant to the campaign shown on it (apart from a very basic outline of the landmass)? Likewise the main sign - lovely modern thing with absolutely no relevance other than the title! If you are going to make something for this, why would you not make it 'appropriate', bringing in some atmosphere, or at least something relevant!!

NMA seems to have no artistic or cultural control at all, with the site ending up a mish-mash of random 'memorials' - some awful, some very poignant, with the latter somewhat diminished by the former, IMHO.

James

Thanks, Gareth - that helps a bit, but I'm still utterly underwhelmed!

James

I share your underwhelment (underwhelmness?). The pedant in me says that arboretumns (arboreta?) are all about growing trees not dead trees, regardless of the symbolism that a dead tree might have, and so based on that basis I find it a little ill-judged. I would have expected some pine trees at the very least.

I'm sorry that some of you don't like the mosaic, however taste is very personal and it is no doubt a good thing that there is some diversity amongst us.

The following is from The Gallipolian (No. 105, Autumn 2004 - the journal of The Gallipoli Association). It was written by Mr Roger Pepper who laid the wreath on behalf of the association at the memorial's dedication

"The Memorial, … … was designed by Turkish architect Nadir Imamoglu, has two key elements. A large map of the Gallipoli Peninsula created by gluing small pieces of coloured glass on to a toughened glass background. Surrounding the map are nine tall oak logs, the branches, resembling outstretched arms, representing those who died at Gallipoli. The logs, between sixteen and twenty-three years of age, reflect the age range of many of the casualties of 1915. Each is linked by a spiked chain, this to emphasise the extraordinary bond between all those who served at Gallipoli. Behind is an outer circle of nine holly-oak trees representing hope and future peace. A short text briefly summarises the campaign, while panels contain the famous words by Ataturk "Those heroes who shed their blood " and words by Aspinall-Oglander from page 343 of the first volume of the Official History commencing "The grassy slopes that crown the cliffs are carpeted with flowers. The azure sky is cloudless; the air is fragrant with the scent of wild thyme. In front, beyond a smiling valley studded with cypress and olive "

Mr Nadir Imamoglu is in the process of refurbishing the memorial and I understand that the original trees with outstretched arms, representing those who died at Gallipoli have been recently replaced with oak instead of chestnut, de-barked and vacuum treated to stop insect attack. The next stage is the mosaic glass map and this will, I understand, be worked upon this summer. Mr Imamoglu has been supported in this work by donations from the Gallipoli Association and others.

The Gallipoli Memorial was the first site at the NMA seen by Archbishop Welby on his recent visit; I believe that his grandfather served in the campaign.

9ebb6b52-aa49-49d7-9d4c-6a66a76dc9f2_zps

regards

Michael

Well said Michael. Thanks for the thorough, as usual, explanation.

Ian

• 4 years later...

Rather underwhelming is putting it mildly. Rather erroneous and derogatory wording re the Anzac forces landing. 

I would rather there was nothing there than this second rate contribution.

On 07/04/2019 at 20:02, Dr Reg Fardell said:

Rather erroneous and derogatory wording re the Anzac forces landing. 

Welcome to the GWF

For the benefit of those not familiar with the text, would you mind elaborating as to what exactly it is that you find “erroneous and derogatory” in the wording re the Anzac forces landing

It probably says 'they landed us on the wrong effing beach where all their bloody machine guns are!!! "

Ian

Thank you Ian,

I have photographs of two of the the text panels, from my visit a couple of years ago:

the MKA text and that from the British Official History, Vol.1, page 343

But I cannot think what has so upset our new member

P1060938.JPG.bcf7c80589962153cba38b8dceff7cef.JPG

P1060937.JPG.abb7ea75246b38be343463c23dc1e786.JPG

Edited by michaeldr

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

But I cannot think what has so upset our new member

Possibly the incorrect use of the apostrophe in the Captain Aspinall quote?

It is a pity that our new member has not provided any clarification
but as far as I can see he must be referring to 
“...and the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZACS) coming ashore, by error, at the now famous Anzac Cove.”
Surely a simple statement of fact, in all probability influenced by the British OH from which the other quotation was also taken. 
See page 174 
“Lieut. Waterlow catching sight of Ari Burnu on his port bow, mistook it for Gaba Tepe. Jumping to the erroneous conclusion that he was a mile south of his course, he at once starboarded his helm, and made for a point actually north of Anzac Cove.” 
(my emphasis)
See Sketch No.6

1355143710_MapfrmOHAnzaclanding.jpg.abf85683424631e7af0d5b2b0de5a6ab.jpg

Perhaps if more space had been available then the wording could have read
 “... coming ashore, by error of the Royal Navy, at the...”
But there we are; no memorial ever had enough space to provide the full story

• 2 weeks later...

Following a report we considered removing an unexplained contentious post, but as there has been further comment it can stand.

Keith