Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Here is my photograph of the bust of Charles Henry Michel which stands in the square at Fins.

Charles-Henri Michel was born in Fins (Somme), in 1817. He died in Paris in 1905. When 
young, he entered the Peronnais studio of Auguste Dehaussy. 
He exhibited several times in Amiens and won a silver medal from the city. 
In 1838, he spent a year in Antwerp studying Flemish. Returned to 
France, he exhibited in Paris in 1840. 

DSC_0709.JPG.117cd1ee23b9b5391027436f126d8a8f.JPG

https://e-monumen.net/patrimoine-monumental/monument-a-charles-henri-michel-fins/

Here is my photograph of all that is left of the Chateaux taken looking away from the direction of the bust of the painter.

DSC_0700.JPG.d40933ace3c4d5ef2b13258e604cbad2.JPG

So here are two Great War period  images which show the same views. It transpires that the original bust, made from bronze, was taken for melting during the first war.

Sadly the replacement was also taken during the second war. The gates to the chateaux are in the lower picture behind the 4 men. The bust is missing from the plinth.

I suppose that I should mention that the Chateaux had been used as a hospital/dressing station but was completely destroyed and not rebuilt.

fins-buste.jpg.b054a0adfa40bfbee0350d6485f3a031.jpg

https://e-monumen.net/patrimoine-monumental/monument-a-charles-henri-michel-fins/

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Hi Martin,

thanks for the photos from Fins. From today and before!

Yes, the chateau is gone. I realised this first, when I was at home again, not while I was in Fins.

Hope you had an interesting time in France!

Greetings

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

Today it is 100 years ago that Gustav died in the field hospital 255 in Fins. The exact time of death is unknown, he was wounded 2 days before in Hardecourt. He was 29 years old, married and had three children at the age of 1, 3 and 5 (my grandmother Alice).

There are 4 other men of his unit  (Munitionskolonne 4. Batterie) listed as dead. They all died in 1918 and three of them as well between the 26th and 28th of August 1918 (Hardecourt and Rancourt). At the time the field hospital 255 was completely overcrowded and there was a lack of medical personal (probably not unusual for the time and location). I do not know the day when Gustav was buried in the cemetery in Fins but I assume it was quite shortly after his death. In the night between the 29th to the 30th of August the field hospital 255 moved further West.

There is not a single item in the family belongings after Gustav, besides of the one photo. Fortunately the documents concerning his death could be kept for all these years and survived WW2. Strangely they did contain information on the field hospital, grave number, but not the cemetery of burial. But this could fortunately be solved here.

Christine

19 minutes ago, AliceF said:

Today it is 100 years ago that Gustav died in the field hospital 255 in Fins. The exact time of death is unknown, he was wounded 2 days before in Hardecourt. He was 29 years old, married and had three children at the age of 1, 3 and 5 (my grandmother Alice).

There are 4 other men of his unit  (Munitionskolonne 4. Batterie) listed as dead. They all died in 1918 and three of them as well between the 26th and 28th of August 1918 (Hardecourt and Rancourt). At the time the field hospital 255 was completely overcrowded and there was a lack of medical personal (probably not unusual for the time and location). I do not know the day when Gustav was buried in the cemetery in Fins but I assume it was quite shortly after his death. In the night between the 29th to the 30th of August the field hospital 255 moved further West.

There is not a single item in the family belongings after Gustav, besides of the one photo. Fortunately the documents concerning his death could be kept for all these years and survived WW2. Strangely they did contain information on the field hospital, grave number, but not the cemetery of burial. But this could fortunately be solved here.

Christine

Christine,

He would have been buried the same day or the next day. I can assume this from having researched quite a few WWI casualties.

The Standesamt where Gustav lived would have been informed about his death and usually the information there would only have been date of death (usually even the hour) and medical facility where he died (in this case Feldlazarett 255). Usually, one can't find details of the burial in there.

Jan

Here is a photograph from 5th August 2018 - 

The plot bottom left is 460 - Otto FERNAND.

My handy assistant, my dear wife Irene, stands at plot 469, Gustav.

All is most tranquil.

DSC_0699.JPG.6bd70c433328af5710edaa7b51e2d995.JPG

DSC_0674.JPG.b51a8f3d6c8c2353b587f28f5c2a8359.JPG 

Jan, thanks for the information! The Standesamt filled in the Sterbeurkunde at the 25th of Oktober. The time of death was not given, but considering the circumstances maybe not so strange. But the field hospital was named (not the location though). 

Martin, thanks a lot for the fotos! So nice that your wife is pointing out Gustav’s grave! 

Christine

Thanks for reminding us of the date Christine, and great photos Martin.

Not forgotten.

Pete.

2074839156_forget-me-not-flowerssmall.jpg.0486bb2b0eecdbbe4ef6f5e8d1330fe6.jpg

Thanks for your responses!

Such a beautiful photo of Vergissmeinnicht!

Christine

• 4 weeks later...

Finally! Got the message and the photo from the VDK today!

Well, I'll go there again - just do not know when.

Thanks once more to everyone here who has contributed!!!

Christine

Headstone Photos - FINS NEW B.C. - G.GEHRT.JPG

That is excellent !!

A fantastic discovery from the middle pages of this thread and a fantastic memorial to Gustav is now the lasting result.

AND an example of how the internet has facilitated something amazing.

Obviously the "Great War Forum" hosted all of this and this result could never have been achieved without it.

Great work to all those who cared and from the organisations of the CWGC and VDK - who put things right.

Here was the plot just last month.

5th August 2018.

DSC_0682.JPG.70946b75d88536ee2ec5aaab61fcf169.JPG

• 11 months later...

The end of August marks another anniversary.

Gustav GEHRT

And another Forum favourite  thread of mine.

• 11 months later...

Just bringing Gustav back to the top of the list.

Sadly perished this day in 1918.

He appears on the right below.

I did the colouring so it may not be accurate.

colour 58.jpg

• 1 year later...