Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  

can anyone help with this MIC

Hello

I have just downloaded the medal card index for my Grandad, I have tried looking on the net for what the abbrieviations mean, but no luck so far.

Can anyone tell me what the abbrieviations mean, some of the writing is quite difficult to read.

All the best

Jimmy

post-31-1100000135.jpg

DirtyDick

I think he served as a private in 5th Battalion, The King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

You can find info. on this unit on the Mother Site (top left link).

Looks like 'Cause of Discharge' has been ammended to 'transferred' but it is difficult to discern. The comments in the adjacent box will throw light on it and others will be better able to do that: Pension?

Joined in early Sept. 1914 (archetypal Kitchener Volunteer, no doubt) and ceased service in that unit 1917. Was he wounded? There should be mention of SWB somewhere on the card if he was

Richard

Michael

I think this is a SWB card. 'List' refers to the location in the rolls.

There should be another card with his medal entitlement.

The number looks like a territorial rather than new army.

Promenade will be able to tell us all about him if he sees this thread.

Mick

collectorsguide

he enlisted in the 5th/bn kings liverpool regt. on 4th sept 1914.He was transferred to class p (training or territorial reserve)and awarded the silver war badge.The T4 number is the national archives roll number for the swb.This roll may give you more info. The card is a SWB CARD NOT A MEDAL INDEX CARD.THESE CARDS SOMETIMES ARE FOUND IN PLACE OF MIC CARDS AND SOMETIMES ALONGSIDE THEM.HIS TRANSFER TO THE RESERVE TOOK PLACE ON 5.3.17. HE MOST LIKELY WENT TO FRANCE ON 22.2.15 TO 6TH BRIGADE 2ND DIV.JOINED BDE ON 24.2.15 THEN TRANSFERRED TO 99BDE 15.12.15.THEN TO 55/DIV 7.1.16 POSSIBLY IN ACTION AT ..FESTUBERT, LOOS AND HOHENZOLLERN REDOUBT IN 1915.55DIV IN ACTION ON SOMME 4.9.16 TO 28.9.17.I CAN,T READ THE OTHER ENTRY,BUT ASSUME IT MAY SAY PENSIONED. USUALLY IF DISCHARGED IT WOULD GIVE KINGS REG PARA AS REASON FOR DISCHARGE. BEST WISHES,HOWARD.

collectorsguide

CLASS P IS A CLASS OF MEN TRANSFERRED TO CIVIL EMPLOYMENT FROM THE TERRITORIAL FORCE I THINK. SEE THREAD ON "PAR" BEST W. HOWARD

Hello

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post.

I talked to my mum and she did mention that he was gassed in the great war and couldn't do manual labour because of this.

Hopefully I will be able to find out a bit more information about him, I will post anything I find on the forum.

all the best

Jimmy

Promenade

Jimmy,

You have almost all of the data that I hold on Robert Jolliffe. The only information I have that is additional is that his 4 figure 5 KLR number was 2578 -this was the number he was allocated on enlistment and before the TF were renumbered to 6 figures early in 1917 (he became 200672). I also note that he did not serve overseas (at least not with the KLR) - information taken from the Silver War Badge roll not the cards - I realise that this contradicts the infomation from your Mum. He received Silver War Badge No 196302.

Promenade