Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Barnwell

Hi there,

I am looking for anything to shed more light on the Bollate Sutter & Thevenot munitions factory explosion on 7th June 1918, in particular any detail (no matter how minute) of Hemingway's involvement along with the unit (Section IV).

Currently based in the South of France for the time being I am quite a distance from visiting any records offices, museums etc so I am currently relying purely on internet literature for research.

I have read Florczyk's "Ernest Hemingway, The American Red Cross, and The Great War", Charles Fenton's "The Apprenticeship of Ernest Hemingway" along with H's "A Natural History of the Dead" short story in "Death in the Afternoon" and, essentially, everything the internet has on offer, which all-in-all is the same small amount of info dressed in various forms.

So, if anyone has anything else, particularly names of those who were with Hemingway at Bollate, or educated assumptions of what would have happened with regards to Italian Red Cross protocol, of the number of men and what men were sent that day (i.e. were men such as Capt. Bates present?), of the style of the make-shift mortuary and so and so on.

I will be posting this on a few other appropriate threads which, if against forum regulation, do advise and I will take down immediately.

I very much appreciate anything you may have which deepens my research past the relatively shallow googling of mine and basic reading.

Ross

• 2 months later...

Hi Ross,

Me too I'm looking for any information about what happened in Baranzate di Bollate on 7th June 1918.

About Hemingway, beyond what you have mentioned I did not find anything else.

But I can show you a map of the plant and some photo .... (just i understand how to insert an image)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the book can help you is:

Santuario della Madonna della Fametta di Castellazzo di Bollate, AA. VV., Studio due sas, Milano, 2010

This is the story of a village near Castellazzo and of how it vanished becouse of the Sutter & Thevenot munitions factory explosion.

According with this page: http://www.scalatt.it/fotostoria_percorso_polveriera.htmit contains detailed informations.

This book seems to be very hard to find.

Mario

• 3 weeks later...

This is the book mentioned by Canutt :)

Very interesting the page suggested, thanks Mario. :thumbsup: (do you know the authors? It is possible contact them?)

post-51030-0-05189900-1435080582_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, after a few weeks of no reply I took this as a dead end! So thank you for your responses and your book suggestions. I'll hunt those down as best I can. Tonolik, managed to dig a little deeper?

• 1 month later...