Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Our Heroes, Irish Life supplement. Definitive list of dates?

depaor01

Hi all,

The magazine "Irish Life" published a supplement "Our Heroes" during WWI. I recently undertook a piece of work, digitising photos of the pages, correcting the images and making the data searchable.

I've been made aware that there's a man missing from the database. Lieutenant Joseph Charles Tyndall apparently appeared in the "Our Heroes" of 14th May 1915.

I've checked our database and we are missing the 14th May 1915 edition.

What I'm looking for is an accurate and complete list of dates of publication (not the images themselves) of "Our Heroes" so I can visit the Irish National Library and retrieve the 14th of May 1915 and any others that might have been missed in our digitisation project.

Here are the dates we have:

04 December 1914
22 January 1915
30 July 1915
24 September 1915
26 November 1915
28 January 1916
31 March 1916
09 June 1916
11 June 1916
28 July 1916
29 September 1916
04 May 1917
01 June 1917
29 June 1917
26 October 1917
23 November 1917
28 December 1917

Would anyone be in a position to supply the missing dates?

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave

Have not seen these mentioned for ages! i purchased several copies about 10 years but have seen none since yes i can confirm that your man appears in the May 1915 copy page 61 4th Dublin Fusiliers i did also buy a reprint of these called {i think !!From Mons To The Somme} but i believe that is as far as it went

I have a copy of the original bound volume, produced by 'Irish Life', which covers the dates August, 1914 to July, 1916 (in fact, a facsimile is available from Naval & Military Press). It is described, on the title page, as 'Vol. 1'.

The issues were bound in the order given in Post No. 1. The numbers on the pages are consecutive, with no gaps, so the May 14th issue is the only one missing from your collection, up to July 28th, 1916.

I am glad to have confirmation that further issues appeared, and will now look for them!

Michael

Thanks for those answers lads. The database I worked on included issues up to 1918.

I'm glad to find that my issues are complete to 1916 bar the one I know is missing.

I'll check when I visit our National Library for post-1916 issues.

I've posted the link to the database before, but in case anyone missed it first time round it's here:

http://ourheroes.southdublinlibraries.ie/

Regards,

Dave

If the National Library does not have the May 14, 1915 issue, I could scan my copy for you.

Thank you very much for putting this on line. I have discovered a photograph that I have been looking for for years!

May I suggest that you include an index of names? I could scan the index in the book, and convert into a Word document, so that you would have half the work done.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Glad you found it useful. If you search without putting in a name then all names are returned.

The NLI confirmed they have the volume so I'm visiting next week. If getting the images proves too challenging I'll take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Michael,

Glad you found it useful. If you search without putting in a name then all names are returned.

Dave

So they are! I hadn't read the small print. I was very glad to see my cousin, Joseph Pegum, in there. I didn't know about that before. My grandfather, Seymour Stritch, is in as well.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get those images, Dave?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Just checked now and they seem to have gone straight to my junk mail box, bypassing my phone notification - bizarre because I regularly get phone notifications of REAL junk mail!

Anyway, they did arrive, and I hope the above explains my lack of reply. They look great.

Thanks for your time and trouble. Delighted to be able to fill in the blanks in the database.

All the best,

Dave

• 3 years later...

In researching my grandfather and his family I came across this interesting discussion.  My grandfather was Maj Gen Dudley Graham Johnson VC CB DSO MC. I recently found in the South Wales Borderers Museum in Brecon the attached copy of a page from the Irish Life of May 1915 relating to his family.  His VC was awarded for action on 4 Nov 1918 so we have the centenary coming up.  His mother Rosina was from the Arnott family and her father John Arnott was the founder of the Irish Times and Arnott Stores.  I would love to track down a better copy of the page in question.

Irish Times Picture May 1915.jpg

Hi Andrew,

That page doesn't seem to have appeared in the "Our Heroes" pages of Irish Life so can't help unfortunately.

Dave

checked all my copies and unfortunately no sign of this page

• 2 months later...
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:03, barkalotloudly said:

checked all my copies and unfortunately no sign of this page

This page must be from the magazine itself, and the layout is different from 'Our Heroes', which was a supplement to the magazine.

Dudley and Mervyn Johnson both appear in 'Our Heroes', but Dudley Johnson is not included in 'Irish Winners of the Victoria Cross', by Doherty and Truesdale.

Michael

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:24, Andrew Larpent said:

In researching my grandfather and his family I came across this interesting discussion.  My grandfather was Maj Gen Dudley Graham Johnson VC CB DSO MC. I recently found in the South Wales Borderers Museum in Brecon the attached copy of a page from the Irish Life of May 1915 relating to his family.  His VC was awarded for action on 4 Nov 1918 so we have the centenary coming up.  His mother Rosina was from the Arnott family and her father John Arnott was the founder of the Irish Times and Arnott Stores.  I would love to track down a better copy of the page in question.

Irish Times Picture May 1915.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the Forum.

The British Newspaper Library hold original copies of the 'Irish Life' magazine covering the period of the Great War so you should be able to request a copy from them.  There will of course be a cost attached to this.  The BNL used to be a separate entity situated at Colindale, North London, but I believe that it is now an integral part of the main British Library.  There is a branch at Thorp Arch, Boston Spa, near Wetherby, Yorks.  It may be worth contacting them and explaining what you are looking for in the hope that you will be able to purchase a copy from the original rather than from microfilm.

Good luck,

Robert