Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Guards MGC Military medal long shot

amanda.oconnor1

This is a long shot but here goes.

My granddad John O'Connor service number 1640 was a member of 4th Guards MGC. As with most men who fought in the war he did not talk of it. The only thing he ever told my dad was that at one time he and another soldier were trapped, someone had to go get help, which granddad did. he then went on to say the other fella got a medal for staying put. Any of you military medal experts any idea of what this could be?

Thank You

Mandy

could be anything from Military Medal upwards - or even a foreign medal

if its Guards machine gun regiment then they have VERY few gallantry medals - 4 DCMs I think from memory ? certainly not many and you could trawl the london gazette for citations to see if any "trapped"

Mandy

If you like a long read you could get the War Diary,digitally available for £3.30,it might have info on medals won or recommended. As I see it there were two titles for 4 Guards and Machine Guns ( 4 Guards Machine Gun Company-from Mar 1917 to,presumably when they were re-titled 4 Battalion Machine Gun Guards in Mar 1918. Source:LLT). As it turns out there is just the one War Diary for the whole period,so it looks as if there was a continuity,lucky you,it may have cost you 2 sums of £3.30 otherwise:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351822

Thanks for the reply.

Coldstreamer I shall trawl though the London Gazette see if I can discover anything.

Sotonmate thanks for the link. I have already downloaded the war diary but the image is not the best so I have had some difficulty reading some of it

Mandy