Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

miniature medals

Khaki

I, like most of us have met 'hundreds' of collectors of medals (full size) and most of those collectors often have examples of miniature medals, but I have never met a collector of just miniatures. In fact I don't think I have ever seen a museum display of miniatures. They seem to be popular and are frequently advertised. I have a number of GW examples, but don't know much about them. I wouldn't mind finding examples of the 'naval' BWM (mini) with the campaign bars, how rare are they??

khaki

khaki,

Here is a nice Military Cross miniature grouping from my Collection, made by Mappin & Webb, London.

The 8 medal Swing Mounted grouping consists of, from left to right :-

A King George V Military Cross.
The British War Medal.
The Victory Medal with a Mentioned in Dispatches ( MID ) emblem attached.
The KGV India General Service Medal with 2 Clasps attached - Waziristan 1921-24 and Afghanistan N.W.F 1919.
The KGV General Service Medal 1918 with The N.W. Persia Clasp attached.
The KGVI India General Service Medal 1936-39 with the North West Frontier 1936-37 Clasp attached.
The KGVI Defence Medal.
The KGVI 1939-45 War Medal.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-83481200-1427202886_thumb.j

post-63666-0-84192800-1427202908_thumb.j

post-63666-0-24986800-1427202934_thumb.j

I have two groups

One is a VC with impeccable provenance - because I will never own a "real" one I have a miniature

the other is a transfer from the Marines into the Coldstream so a rare and desirable Guards group

I would imagine some naval bars are more valuable than others - the OMRS has a miniature branch if you are interested

post-3871-0-79899800-1427209208_thumb.jp

Lancs,

Nice set of medals, just curious, do the Great War miniatures have the recipients name and service number engraved on the rim as the full size ones do?

Mike.

- the OMRS has a miniature branch if you are interested

Thanks,

Your VC group and RM group sound pretty interesting, I hope you can give us some more details, I have never joined any active medals society, despite being invited at miitaria shows every time I look at their displays. They seem a nice bunch of people, but I have always preferred to do my own thing, which as I get older seems less and less. I only have a small representative number of mini's from a QSA thru the GW, nothing too fancy just a MC trio and a CDG pair.

regards

khaki

Lancs,

Nice set of medals, just curious, do the Great War miniatures have the recipients name and service number engraved on the rim as the full size ones do?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I've never seen engraving on the edge of miniatures and I have several. However, having said that, I once said on this forum, with certainty, that there was no room to engrave a name on the back of a Croix de Guerre. A member promptly posted a Croix de Guerre with a name engraved on the back.

For that reason I'm not saying that they were NEVER engraved or impressed with a name.

Dave

Lancs,

Mike.

Mike,

I could not remember if I had actually ever checked the medals' rims, so I just made sure, and the rims are not engraved with the recipient's name or service number. In all other respects, they are perfect replicas of their full-size counterparts. This particular set made by Court Jewellers, Mappin & Webb, are solid silver.

Regards,

LF

Lancs,

Mike.

I've never seen engraving on the edge of miniatures and I have several. However, having said that, I once said on this forum, with certainty, that there was no room to engrave a name on the back of a Croix de Guerre. A member promptly posted a Croix de Guerre with a name engraved on the back. For that reason I'm not saying that they were NEVER engraved or impressed with a name.

I have seen example of miniatures with names either engraved on the edge or on the back, usually things like MC's or 1914 and 1914-15 Stars more so (since they have plenty of space), but the vast majority never had anything like that done.

19th century example below:

http://www.jagermedals.com/Army%20and%20Airforce%20Medals%20from%201793/jm597.html

I've never seen examples of British miniatures engraved on the edge, I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures if anyone has them. I've seen a miniature MC engraved on the reverse but not with the recipients name, just 'Love NG', I wondered if it was a gift to a loved one to be worn on a neck chain.

Thanks to all for your replies re name engraving on miniatures. Saw a set fairly recently in a dealers show case and could not ascertain if they were marked.

Mike.

One of the ultimates I suppose is when you can get the miniatures along side the originals!!!

I spotted these at the Lincolns Museum.

post-91995-0-11905500-1427642652_thumb.j

post-91995-0-36952400-1427642718_thumb.j

Regarding names examples this link might be of interest............

http://www.abwtest.co.uk/forum/5-medals-and-awards/3-named-miniature-medals

Miniatures are not official issue i.e. never given to a serviceman by the crown, so will never be named 'officially, but if someone felt the need privately I suppose they could but it would be pretty unnecessary and almost redundant. Miniatures were bought at military tailors, outfitters etc. usually to wear with evening dress or civilian clothing when occasions called for it - they were much less cumbersome than official full sized medals. Anyone could buy them for any reason too so they are not inherently unique to an individual either. For example, I have set of Leonard Cheshire's miniatures with the VC etc. it is doubtful he ever wore or even touched the as in the 70's he would have them auctioned off at fundraisers for the charities he supported. I am often surprised by the prices these are fetching these days given the nature of the things as they used to a very inexpensive way for someone to collect examples in a taxonomic fashion.

One of the ultimates I suppose is when you can get the miniatures along side the originals!!!

I spotted these at the Lincolns Museum.

Regarding names examples this link might be of interest............

KB,

A superb matching set of originals and their miniatures, and it is interesting to note that examples of miniature medals with engraved rims did actually exist.

Regards,

LF

I do have a Queen Victoria miniature DSO which is gold and a genuine miniature of the original; it's a beautiful thing. Modern produced miniatures can look horribly crude and cheap.

I do have a Queen Victoria miniature DSO which is gold and a genuine miniature of the original; it's a beautiful thing. Modern produced miniatures can look horribly crude and cheap.

Yes, they do. But it is what they represent that counts.

• 5 weeks later...

Nice example on Ebay recently - miniature 1902 Metropolitan Police Cornation Medal named on rim to P.C. A. Cosh (served 1899-1924):

http://postimg.org/image/blea8rg7r/full/

Composite.jpg

• 2 years later...

I will post some pictures of my miniature collection. I am a new member of this forum (joined today) from Sweden/Denmark.

My miniatures are replicas bear in mind. 

/Andreas

Hello all,          I'm looking for a miniature of an IGS '08 w/Bar for NWF 1908.  Anyone have a favored source for miniatures that they might be willing to share ?  Have the QSA & KSA minis for a DSO trio with QSA & KSA.  Came with the  group when I first purchased them.    bif

Edited by bif

Dear All,

I had Dad's and grandfather's AIF MC miniature groups framed. Furthermore, I possess Dad's original 5ae37f0be1afa_GrandfatherandDadsminiatures.JPG.648289bebe3722763d31bfd625e9b642.JPG5ae3841b2f716_J.G.LindsayMCwhitetieandtails.jpg.673d5ae38f2ff646a6a2f1541a4a81f0.jpg5ae383e856f69_LieutGomer.IndCavy.jpg.2e4ef1301a3e0fbdeee925bafd94de28.jpg5ae38467720cc_H.A.L.Frenchminis.jpg.3d605fd43ac4e63fad16410703b43e19.jpg5ae3849529f88_KPMminisalaSuptG.A.Swift.jpg.a7caf9a2a111d593b0c8123bce1f89d1.jpg5ae384c15901f_Lieut.G.A.SwiftZhobMilitiaIndianPolice.thumb.jpg.8133d6c12fbc39ad2070cbb01c1aa1dd.jpgHartnoll_small.JPG.1e3003db5e68a6d9934f0f4251eec951.JPG5ae3852fc78c6_Lt-ColHartnollminisobv.jpg.e51040633e68126e90f1575d4e5e0a9a.jpgwhite tie and tails, with a replacement court-mounted miniatres.

Additionally, I have collected miniatures which came with the large medals; or had the full miniatures made up, when the KPM was missing from the large group.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 15:18, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

had the full miniatures made up

Kim,   Re my post # 23, how'd you get that done, please ?