Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7 Suffolk April 1917

GraemeClarke

Morning

I have the WD from differing sources of the 7th Battalion, Suffolk Regiment for April 1917.

Neither has the appendix reporting on the actions of 10 April 1917.

Can anyone confirm that it IS missing, or am I just unlucky,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Can't say I have the definitive answer to your question. only to say that I've never managed to trace the 'CO's account' referred to in the diary either. It's been a while since I read the particular chapter, but the regimental history would hopefully give a reasonable synopsis of events for the 'doings' of the 7th Battalion on the 10th April; much of the content of the book is based upon the original war diaries and, as such, events written wrt. 10th April could well be based on the missing appendix.

Quite happy to do a look-up for you if you wish.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Graeme,

Much of the account for the 7th Battalion involvement the First Battle of The Scarpe in the regimental history appears to be sourced from the History of the 12th Division, with little of the detail one would expect from a CO's post-action report, which leads me to suspect the author of the regimental history (Lt. Col. C.R.R. Murphy) may not have had access to the appendix mentioned in the war diary either.

Never-the-less, here is the text for the 9th / 10th April verbatim (the text in parenthesis apparently sourced from the History of the 12th Division):

"At 12.15 pm [on 9th April, 12th Division being in the centre of VI Corps front] the 7th Norfolk Regiment on the right, with the 5th Royal Berkshire Regiment on the left, followed by the 7th Suffolk and 9th Essex Regiments, passed through the 37th and 36th Brigades. At 1.5 pm the Blue Line was definitely in our possession. The real task of 35th Brigade now commenced. There was no intervening system of trenches, but opposition was expected at Maison Rouge, and the enemy's batteries were known to be in the valley that had to be traversed. The plan was to capture Feuchy Chapel redoubt and its surroundings and to pierce the line just west of Orange Hill.

On the capture of the Blue Line the Germans, becoming disorganised, were caught on the run, and the 35th Brigade had the joy of seeing them retreating in disorder. The 7th Norfolk Regiment pushed forward to level with the Bois des Boeufs. The 7th Suffolk and 9th Essex Regiments now proceeded to the final objective. The Essex gained Feuchy Chapel redoubt, but the greater portion of this attack was stopped by Church Work, uncut wire and machine-guns. All attempts to cut the wire by hand and proceed were frustrated, and a line was taken up along Feuchy road."

The weather on the 9th - by no means good - gradually became worse, and during the night and the following day much sleet and snow fell, the conditions being deplorable. About midnight Lieut. Colonel Cooper, having been informed that the wire was to be cut by our artillery at daybreak, withdrew the battalion; next morning [10th] the attack was continued, and by noon the 7th Battalion had captured the final objective. Patrols were then pushed forward and the position consolidated. On the night of April 12 - 13 the 12th Division was relieved by the 29th Division and returned to Arras. The casualties of the battalion in the first battle of the Scarpe included the following officers - Killed: Captain D.W.A. Nicholls, M.C.; 2nd Lieuts. C.L. Elvey and H.R. Isaacs. Wounded: Captain E.F. Ledward; Lieut. G.F.A. Lewin; 2nd Lieuts. H.H. Collis (died of wounds April 12), C.A.E. Horton, H.R. Howell, H.M. Bond, E.G. Hannant, W.W. Stallard, and S.B. Leader.

Not a great deal I'm afraid, but hopefully of some use!

Best regards

Steve

Morning Steve,

A most hearty thanks, initially for answering the thread, but mainly for the time and effort you put in to help me.

Many thank, appreciate all you have done,

Regards,

Graeme

You're most welcome Graeme. If I turn anything else up I'll let you know.

All the best

Steve