Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit Diary for Casualty Clearing Stations

reeves_colin

Hi

Does anybody know if the unit diary exists for the 3rd CCS and 44th CCS for 1916

The 3rd and 44th CSS were in the Puchenvillers area and were responsibly for the British Cemetery build.

I am looking for the Unit Diary for August 1916 ONLY...

Does anybody have a copy of these 2 CSS Unit Diaries for August 1916?

Thank you in advance

Colin

I am after the unit diary for the 16th CCS ...

• 2 weeks later...

Sandra

There are four WDs for 16 CCS:

WO95/4356 Gallipoli Oct 1915 to Jan 1916

4720 Egypt Feb 1916

5080 Mesopotamia Mar to Dec 1916,and,

5249 -do- Jan 1917 to Sep 1919.

Do you have specific dates or all ?

Colin

In addition to the 3 CCS War Dairy it is about the only CCS with a fullish surviving record of Admissions and Discharge Registers. There are many Registers at Kew and Forces War Records are digitising them. Just as an example there are 3 A&D Registers with parts of August 1916 featured:
MH106/320,321 and 322. Plus there are Operations Records for the same month in MH106/420 and 421.

There is nothing of this nature surviving for CCS44.

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/collections/129/military-hospital-admissions-and-discharge-registers-ww1

There are a series of AIF lads that died as a result of wounds but no graves so am trying to establish why that would have been.
Hubert Gilliam 29.08.1915
Sydney Gillam 29.08.1915
Charles Hall 29.08.1915
George Colk 29.08.1915
Robert Spencer 31.08.1915
Horace Height 14.09.1915
Clayton Hawley 23.09.1915
Walter Radford 17.11.1915

Sandra

As pointed out earlier in thread the 16thCCS WD is incomplete, which annoys me no end for my Hill 60 work. I do hold a letter, or photo copy, from Syd Livesey 10LH who witnessed what happened to the Gillam brothers at Hill 60. As I did not have this, annoyingly, for our 10LH history, I intend to run it in the Hill 60 work, but this will take some time due to being way laid the last year on other issues.

I will photograph it and send it on soon, although it will not answer all your questions. Great letter though.

Cheers

Gilly

Apologies Gilly, I forgot that ... but not unlike me though :)
There are the extra Hill 60 names now though that I didn't have before.
It is interesting that so many bodies were 'lost' from the one CCS.

Was the 16th CCS the only hospital dealing with the casualties from Hill 60?
If the DOW's were all on the same date it might have helped with arriving a some sort of a solution but as the dates are not it is certainly confusing.

Is it possible they were taken aboard ship for hospital transfer and buried at sea and because of the poor WD entries this has caused the problem. If so, what ship were they transferred to? Not a great theory though when the records state the DOW so a report must have been made by someone.

Sotonmate... apologies ... all the lads named are AIF and mostly 10th Light Horse.

Sandra

Sandra

Both the Gillams died within half an hour of each other having been carried back through the trenches to a dressing station behind or below Hill 60. Syd Livesey assured Mr John Gillam, the father, that they received a proper burial as they had been carried out. He stressed that those that could not be recovered remained where they fell, given the nature of the fighting and closeness of enemy trenches. This was a feature of Hill 60 and some of the trenches and trench floors were built with bodies in places. On my last visit in 2014 I came across a skull and other bones just metres outside the northern wall of the cemetery there. Quite chilling.

The letter mentions Bob Spencer of Narrikup being one of the chaps that carried one of the boys, with Syd Livesey, through the trenches on an overcoat. Spencer' demise is recorded in our book which I know you have. He had missed the charge at the Nek having been selected for scouting and counter sniping work up at Suvla, helping the Brits out there. See pages 162 and 163 of our book.

Spencer met a grisly end to a faulty grenade blowing up in his hands. He was also one of only a few to have the designation of scout against his name on the embarkation roll.

Will send the letter soon.

Gilly

Thanks Gilly ... :(

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Would anyone know if records remain for 3CCS at around armistice time? My Great Uncle Chris Watkiss died there (Caudry) of flu on 19th Nov 1918 - I wonder if there would be a record of his admission?

Many thanks

Andy

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I looked at MH106/420 last weekend. Was after details for Pte Edgar John Wyatt, 6 RWK (Regt No 3235), injured 28 Jul 16 - died 31 Jul, buried in Puchevillers cemetery. Disappointed to not find his entry in the document.

Have just seen that MH106/320 may have been more appropriate :-(

If anyone is down at NA and has a spare 5 mins, I'd appreciate any info.

Requested an estimate for TNA to copy document but they will only copy the whole thing and not just the entry.

Thanks

Steve Wyatt

• 1 month later...

Hi

The soldier I am interested in Died on 27th August 1916, and is also buried in Puchevillers.

He is Henry George Sheppard, 5083 1st/6th Gloucestershire Regiment.

If he is listed on either of the docs, MH106/420 and MH106/320 then I would be very interested in viewing the relevant information

thanks in advance

Colin

• 6 months later...

Colin,

I looked up your Henry Sheppard in MH106/320, 321, 420 and 421, but couldn't find any entry for him (about 8-28 Aug).  I could find anything for my Edgar Wyatt either (and I knew exactly when he was injured and when he died, 3 days later).  I'm a bit disappointed with this - I was certain I would find him.

It got me thinking if he/they were Dead On Arrival at the CCS, would the still process them through the Admissions book?  I found a few soldiers who were admitted then died in the CCS around the same time, and they were buried in a very similar part of the cemetery (within about 10 headstones).  This leaves me a little confused.

Any ideas?

Steve

See other post  '37TH FIELD AMBULANCE'

TEW