Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian War Poetry Lecture May 3 2015 on John McCrae

John Gilinsky

For those who are in, near or plan to be in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada May 3 2015 here is a war poetry event:

Remembering John McCrae

May 03, 2015 2 – 4:30 pm

On May 3, 1915 during the Second Battle of Ypres in the Great War, Lieutenant John McCrae wrote the poem “In Flanders Fields”. The Soldiers’ Tower Committee invites you to join them 100 years later to commemorate the legacy of this remarkable alumnus and Canada’s most famous poem.

12 noon – 2:45 pm. The Memorial Room in the Soldiers’ Tower will be open to visitors.

2 pm – 2:45 pm. Carillon recital featuring Gordon Slater, Dominion Carillonneur (retired). The carillon recital is an outdoor event which will proceed rain or shine.

3 pm – 4:30 pm. Slide show on John McCrae by Linda Granfield, U of T alumna, noted author and expert on John McCrae, followed by reception in the Music Room of Hart House.

This public event is free, but seating is limited. RSVP to Kathy Parks: 416-978-3485, or e-mail soldiers.tower@utoronto.ca.

Sponsored by the Soldiers’ Tower Committee of the University of Toronto Alumni Association, and Alumni Relations, University Advancement.

P.S.: Although the Soldiers' Tower museum is a bit cramped for anyone interested in the CEF there are some very rare and personalized type exhibits as well.

John

This sounds interesting ... I wish that I was / will be in Toronto to see it!

I do like this promise: "The carillon recital is an outdoor event which will proceed rain or shine." That's the style - and I hope the weather is fine for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Tx The Scorer. The carillon itself is entirely indoors atop the tower. People assemble around the base or on the grounds immediately adjacent to the tower.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Just another reminder or gentle push "over the top" :whistle: about this Sunday May 3 2015 event.

If anyone attends besides myself (don't use that for a reason NOT to come btw :w00t: ) please let us know what you thought of the event.

John