Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Airmen Database

Dolphin

The Australian Society of World War I Aero Historians (the world's oldest such organisation) maintains a database of all men with an Australian connection who served in an air service during the Great War, ie the Australian Flying Corps, the Royal Flying Corps, the Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force, plus the Luftstreitkräfte.

Please feel free to browse the database at: http://www.ww1aero.org.au/

Any additional information, corrections, photographs, etc will be most welcome.

Gareth

Gareth,

This is a wonderful resource. Thank you for making it available. It's clearly the outcome of a huge amount of hard and dedicated work.

Good effort.

Trevor

Thanks for sharing this Gareth, it looks like an excellent source. I'm currently researching the RFC/AFC in Palestine, and this will make things a lot easier!

All the best

Stuart

Trelawney

We received some additional information on Claude Gibb which I presume came from you. Please accept our sincere thanks.

You offered a photograph of his grave as well, an offer we're keen to accept. If it is you, could you please send the photo to President@ww1aero.org.au

Regards

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Splendid Gareth. I'm sending in images relating to my 'local' airman Harold Ernest Whiteman, buried Bexhill UK [not NSW].

Dave

Dave

Many thanks, much appreciated. One of the reasons for making the database available for general viewing is to attract additional information, corrections, comments, etc.

Cheers

Gareth

Mate,

I tried using this and sending some details I have but didn't seam to work or they didn't get my message?

S.B

Steve

Away from my PC at the moment, but I'm seeing the database coordinator during a visit to the AWM tomorrow - I'll try to sort it out.

Cheers

Gareth

Steve

I spoke to our database coordinator today, and nothing has come through. However, there's something happening to the server that hosts our database, which is making life more difficult than we'd wish.

If you could send me a PM, I'll give you my email address. If you then send your information to me, I'll make sure it's incorporated in the database and, if you wish, you'll receive appropriate credit.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

Hope that works, if not EMail me and I'll send you want I have on AFC soldiers from the ALH.

I'll delete this tomorrow

Men like

STEWART Walter 2427A Pte 10 LHR 16R to 3 LH MGS 8-16 tos 8-16 to petrol refueler Driver MT 2/AM 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 12-16 to 1/AM 5-18 (CMF 6 months)

SCHACHT Henry George 298N AB Dvr RANBT (G) to 2/AM 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 5-17 to 1/AM 5-18 to motor cycist 12-18 reported died in bike accident in Australia (RANR 4 years)

MAINWARING Wentworth Rowland Cavenagh Dr Capt 03 LHR RHQ RMO (G) att WFF to 5 weeks leave UK 7-16 rtn 8-16 to 2 ASH 10-16 prom Maj 11-16 recom Serbian Order of the White Eagle 5th class awarded Serbian Order of the White Eagle 3rd class & MID - for his work at Bir el Abd to 14 AGH 8-17 relist Maj AAMC GR To AAMC Trg unit UK 7-18 Tos 2 ASH 8-18 to Anzac MD Rec Stn 9-18 att RMO 67 Sqn (1 Sqn) AFC 11-18 to 14 AGH 1-19 rtn 03 LHR 3-19 died in Adelaide 1933 AKA Wentworth Rowland Cavenagh-Mainwaring sister Lady Cudmore

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve

I've sent you a PM with my address.

As advised, the link from our Society website to the database has gone missing in action. This should be sorted out in the near future (he says, hopefully).

Cheers

Gareth

The link from www1aero.org.au has been restored, so the database is now freely available again.

Gareth