Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where can I buy a sewing pattern for officer's tunic?

catfishmo

Anyone know where I could find a sewing pattern for a WW1 officer's tunic? Or something even close I could modify? (WW2 uniform pattern?)

I don't see any patterns anywhere that the jacket/tunic buttons straight down the front, cinched at waist, and has the breast pockets.

Thanks,

~Ginger

Anyone know where I could find a sewing pattern for a WW1 officer's tunic? Or something even close I could modify? (WW2 uniform pattern?) I don't see any patterns anywhere that the jacket/tunic buttons straight down the front, cinched at waist, and has the breast pockets. Thanks, ~Ginger

You need the military section (Part 13) of a document available online called 'the cutters practical guide' (1902 Edition - there were earlier ones).

There was a standard pattern of jacket (not 'tunic', which was a full dress garment) in WW1, but in WW2 a utility version was introduced, which amongst other things took out the integral and separate waist band (also the mitred cuffs) as a cloth saving measure.

N.B.

1. There is a Wikipedia version without the illustrations but if you keep searching you will find the fully illustrated edition that has been digitised.

2. Also, do bear in mind that the 1902 version (the first ever) had a stand and fall collar rather then the 1912 stepped revers (open lapels for shirt and tie) and also a vertical central pleat, but there are other garments in the section that make modification self evident.

Anyone know where I could find a sewing pattern for a WW1 officer's tunic? Or something even close I could modify? (WW2 uniform pattern?)

I don't see any patterns anywhere that the jacket/tunic buttons straight down the front, cinched at waist, and has the breast pockets.

Are you talking about the standard British officers Service Dress jacket with cuff rank, or something else? If you are, there are a number of people offering reproductions, but the best option is still in my view to find an original post-WW1 shoulder ranked jacket in the size you need, obtain original rank braid and pips, then find a suitable tailor who can add the cuff rank for you. This old thread might be helpful, I included scans of instructions in how to do the conversion:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118735

Are you talking about the standard British officers Service Dress jacket with cuff rank, or something else? If you are, there are a number of people offering reproductions, but the best option is still in my view to find an original post-WW1 shoulder ranked jacket in the size you need, obtain original rank braid and pips, then find a suitable tailor who can add the cuff rank for you. This old thread might be helpful, I included scans of instructions in how to do the conversion:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118735

Yes, I agree that is by far the most cost effective method. You should bear in mind Ginger that until very recently the officers of the British Army were wearing exactly the self same jacket but with shoulder rank. If I still had mine I would have gladly gifted it to you. There are still plenty going for a song on the internet that should suit your purpose. All that said, I still think that the cutters guide will be of general interest to you.

This is probably a pre WWI date (@1902-10?) I think but pages 50-52 appear to show what you need although these have a closed collar rather than the WWI open collar and tie (as noted by Frogsmile in post2)

I haven't forgotten about the photos!

Chris

I never dreamed I get so many responses--thanks!

"You need the military section (Part 13) of a document available online called 'the cutters practical guide' "

Knowing the right terminology makes all the difference. Thanks!

"Are you talking about the standard British officers Service Dress jacket with cuff rank, or something else?"

I'm looking for something to photograph for the cover of a novel(s). I just needs to pass for an officers tunic-- profile view (neck, shoulder, sleeve.) I don't necessarily need braid on the cuff.

"...but the best option is still in my view to find an original post-WW1 shoulder ranked jacket in the size you need."

Where? I've looked on ebay Uk, classified on GWF, but don't know where else to look. Just about any size will do.

"You should bear in mind Ginger that until very recently the officers of the British Army were wearing exactly the self same jacket but with shoulder rank."

So are you saying that an officer's tunic from 1917 is nearly the same as one from 1975? (I know nothing about this uniform stuff--only recently have I realized the style of an officers tunic is different from an enlisted man, and I now recognize some of the sleeve adornments which represent rank.)

"I have found this link online, but it does say date unknown. http://historyoffash...litary-uniforms "

VERY interesting...but jeepers what a huge project! Yes, I'll go with a reproduction or used one.

Chris: "I haven't forgotten about the photos!"

I've PM'd you : )

One more question, if you don't mind. At OnlineMilitaria.net they sell several reproduction officers tunics. One is called "UK Army Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress Tunic" the other "British WWI Pattern Cuff Rank Officer Tunic." What is the difference in the purpose of the two? (like were they both worn by officers in the trenches?) The first one is made of cotton $68. The latter is wool and $245.

Again, my thanks to you all,

~Ginger

One more question, if you don't mind. At OnlineMilitaria.net they sell several reproduction officers tunics. One is called "UK Army Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress Tunic" the other "British WWI Pattern Cuff Rank Officer Tunic." What is the difference in the purpose of the two? (like were they both worn by officers in the trenches?) The first one is made of cotton $68. The latter is wool and $245.

~Ginger

You have identified the key difference. The Khaki Drill material is cotton, smooth, light khaki/sandy coloured and was worn in warm / tropical climates (India/Palestine etc) whereas the standard temperate (European) climate uniform was much thicker, darker green/khaki coloured wool, usually lined. Officers wool was usually far finer, higher quality material than the standard Service Dress worn by enlisted men. So KD would not really be appropriate for Western Front trenches.

I am going to look and see if I have a post WWII jacket that might meet your needs I think I might have but it may need buttons. I will follow up by PM this weekend.

Chris

I have found this link online, but it does say date unknown.

http://historyoffashiondesign.com/part-13-date-unknown-the-cutters-practical-guide-to-cutting-making-all-kinds-of-british-military-uniforms

Frogsmile, are you able to tell from the illustrations which edition it would be?

Cheers'

Maureen

That's the one Maureen - well spotted. There is some debate about the exactitude of the date, but it is known to be close to 1902, because of various features in the illustrations, not least the badges of rank on the new slashed cuffs shown on page 51 (note in particular the caveat regarding the 'sealed pattern' (being yet to be illustrated) in the final paragraph on that page).

It might be a useful link for FIBIWiki as it contains a number of interesting pages covering badges, etc.

"You should bear in mind Ginger that until very recently the officers of the British Army were wearing exactly the self same jacket but with shoulder rank."

So are you saying that an officer's tunic from 1917 is nearly the same as one from 1975? (I know nothing about this uniform stuff--only recently have I realized the style of an officers tunic is different from an enlisted man, and I now recognize some of the sleeve adornments which represent rank.)

Yes - I wore one myself. They only recently changed to be standardised for all (less the Guards) as a cost savings measure.

"I have found this link online, but it does say date unknown. http://historyoffash...litary-uniforms "

VERY interesting...but jeepers what a huge project! Yes, I'll go with a reproduction or used one.

That is indeed the link showing the tailors instructions from 1902.

Look for a website called "Hogspear" they often sell genuine British officers military uniforms (PM me and I will give you a few other ideas and explain some key points about the woollen cloth used).

~Ginger

~Ginger

You have identified the key difference. The Khaki Drill material is cotton, smooth, light khaki/sandy coloured and was worn in warm / tropical climates (India/Palestine etc) whereas the standard temperate (European) climate uniform was much thicker, darker green/khaki coloured wool, usually lined. Officers wool was usually far finer, higher quality material than the standard Service Dress worn by enlisted men. So KD would not really be appropriate for Western Front trenches.

Chris

Ah, yes. I get so caught up on the Western Front, I forget they were fighting in the Middle East as well. But wouldn't that wool still have been unbearably hot in the summer in France?

~Ginger

Look for a website called "Hogspear" they often sell genuine British officers military uniforms (PM me and I will give you a few other ideas and explain some key points about the woollen cloth used).

Thanks! I emailed him.

~Ginger

There is some debate about the exactitude of the date, but it is known to be close to 1902, because of various features in the illustrations, not least the badges of rank on the new slashed cuffs shown on page 51 (note in particular the caveat regarding the 'sealed pattern' (being yet to be illustrated) in the final paragraph on that page).

It might be a useful link for FIBIWiki as it contains a number of interesting pages covering badges, etc.

Many thanks FROGSMILE. I have added it to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, section Historical Books online. http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/British_Army#Historical_books_online

Cheers

Maureen