Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Reformatory School Records on Ancestry

Terry_Reeves

These records are quite interesting and give information about youngsters convicted of criminal offences, including previous convictions, sentence and background family information.

The three examples concentrate on those who were born in 1894, which offers a good range of youths who would have been old enough for military service in 1914. The entries record the offences they were sentenced for and their family backgrounds. It is possible that two of the three examples below may have joined the army shortly after the conclusion of their sentences and possibly because of them, although there is no direct evidence. The names are just a tiny sample and these are those who distinctive enough names to be recognised in military records. Each entry has a photograph of the individual.

Amos Goodaire

His name is spelt Goodaire at the top of the ledger entry, but he signs the document as Goodare, and his MIC reflects that spelling

Amos,who was of previous good character, was convicted of stealing a copy of the Merchant Shipping Act and and a 16/- postal order. He was sentenced to 3 years reformatory.

The record shows that his family was of "fairly good character" and that his father was out of work - he had had a broken arm for three years.

Amos's MIC shows he was with the Monmouthshire Regt and and disembarked France 7.11.14.

Herbert Goddard Webster

Herbert was convicted of stealing 16 pairs of boots (larceny by a servant) and was sentenced to reform school until he was 19 years of age. He had no previous convictions.

His background report shows that his parents whereabouts were unknown and that he was illegitimate, his real mother being believed to have been in Africa. He had been brought up in Leicester by the gentleman named in the document.

Herbert's MIC shows him to have landed in France as a Gunner with 40 Brigade RFA on 19.8.14

Charles Saiet

Charles is recorded as being of bad character, He had convictions for theft, namely stealing 4/6d for which he was bound over and for stealing 8 knives for which he received 6 strokes of the birch.

His father is recorded as being almost blind and unable to work. His mother ran a small shop earning about 10/- per week, and had 6 children.

Charles went on to serve in the Labour Corps.

TR

Quite an interesting find & info. The uncommon names makes it almost certain to be the same boys. Any idea what their later lives were like post war? Againt he names would help in finding anything about them. Hope you will post more examples. Nice tothink the army turned them around & they became good citizens.

Loader

The discharge registers are even better. Here are entries for two of the boys named above:

Amos Godaire (or Goodare) Entered Reform School 14 Oct 1909 - Released on licence 20 Aug 1912

Licensed to live with his parents at Goole. He found employment with a firm of fruiterers and bottlers before going to sea in 1913 on the ss Claybrook at 12/- per week. His employers were satisfied with his work. Later he joined the ss Hessle as a steward.

He joined 2nd Bn Monmouthshire Regiment in August 1915. A postcard to his supervisors dated 21 April 1915 states that he had been wounded on 14 March at La Bijit, France.

Charles Saiet Entered Reform School 14 Oct 1909 - Released on licence 17 April 1913

Released on licence to his parents and was employed by a cabinet maker the month following his release, at 12/- per week. By November 1915 he was earning 20/- per week.

By October 1914 he was unemployed due to the contraction of the economy in the months following the outbreak of war, but by November 1915 he was back in work earning an average of £2 per week. 12 months later he was a L/Cpl in 23 Bn King's Liverpool Regiment and by 7 Feb 1917 his supervisors noted that he was unlikely to go overseas as he had a damaged finger. By 17.2.1917 he was a L/Cpl in the Military Police. His MIC ( per previous post) shows that he was later transferred to the Labour Corps and he received the war and victory medals.

TR

• 1 year later...
Guest gsherriff@gmail.com
On 19/03/2015 at 21:58, Loader said:

Quite an interesting find & info. The uncommon names makes it almost certain to be the same boys. Any idea what their later lives were like post war? Againt he names would help in finding anything about them. Hope you will post more examples. Nice tothink the army turned them around & they became good citizens.

Interesting post but I'm afraid things didn't turn out too well for Charles Saiet. I have been researching to find out who my father's father was and recently discovered him to be Charles Saiet. He married in 1920 and had 3 children. His wife died in 1927 and his children were looked after by his parents. He took up with my grandmother in 1929 and my father was born in 1930. In 1934 my father and his older brother were put into care as my grandmother couldn't manage alone, it appears that Charlie had done a runner.

Charles married his housekeeper Ethel in 1938 - they had two children in 1937 and 1939.

In 1941 he was fined £150 for "Serving intoxicating liquor without a justices' license".

In 1945 Charles (his son Sydney was also involved) was found guilty of "Receiving stolen clothing, knowing it to have been stolen" for which he received a prison sentence.

Reports in the Liverpool newspapers mention £700 of stolen clothing / stealing 11 suits & a pair of trousers, a stolen car and £134 down his sock when he was arrested.

In 1952 his now ex-wife re-marries. Charles was no keeper.

So I'm afraid the previous character "Bad" described in the reform school admissions book when he was 14 yrs old, seems to have stayed with him for the rest of his life.

My research continues but his only redeeming feature seems to be his service to his country during the war. I was pleased to see this post as it told me a little more about his military service although I'm a little suspicious that he appears to have avoided seeing action overseas because of a hurty finger - typical Charlie I suspect.

Last year, whilst looking through these records I found a local Keighley lad called Walter Brook who'd gone astray and was sent to Calderdale Reform School. It enabled me to pinpoint some juvenile court records in the local newspaper that gave detailed information on what he'd done to deserve sending away like this for five years in 1910. Come 1915 though, he enlisted in the Army aged 19, and it appears his service in the war made a man of him, he learnt a trade as a saddler and he made something of himself afterwards. It was great to research him.

One of the juvenile crime incidents was quite amusing to read, where he stole and sold a pair of boots and used the money to get in to watch the football and buy pie and peas ...for himself and a few of his pals. I know he was a common thief, but I quite warmed to the idea of him treating his mates to some grub at the football.

His brother Asa Brook wasn't so lucky and died of wounds (from machine gun bullets) just before Christmas 1915.