Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge and what else?

Guest mlaverty

Here's my MIC information:

David Winspur, private, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Victory L/104B37 ditto for British. After reading other interpretations, I realise that the SWB List is for Silver War Badge, but that is followed by T(?) L 560. No theatre of war, nor date of entry. Another Winspur on my set of six is Albert Winspur , also private, RWR, with the same notations for Victory and British, but no other information. So, what is the L/104B37, and what is the T(?) L 560. The "L" is certainly an "L", and "560". I'm not certain about the "T". Thanks in advance for any help. Margaret

Margaret,

The 'theatre of war first served in', and 'date of entry', is generally only filled in for those entitled to a 1914 or 1914-15 Star. Pte Winspur was entitled to a British War Medal and a Victory Medal. The L/104B37 will be the Medal Roll reference. The other code is the SWB Roll reference. These rolls are held at the National Archives. They usually indicate which battalion the soldier served with overseas, and occasionally other details. The SWB roll should show date of enlistment and discharge.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin

Thanks for the information, new to me, about the Theatre of War First Arrived in.

I have not seen many of these actual cards and had thought that they would all have the theatre of war and date arrived therein, not just the 14 & 14/15 star people.

Margaret

Thanks for asking the question and good luck with your research.

Kate

L IS THE RECORD OFFICE CODE FOR WARWICK, L-104-B, IS THE CODE FOR THE ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGT.37 IS THE ROLL PAGE NUMBER. INCIDENTALLY I WAS UNABLE TO I/D THE UNIT USING THE CODE L-103-B. IF ANYONE HAS ANSWER I,D BE PLEASED TO HEAR IT!! BEST WISHES, HOWARD