Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain. S.R.Kerr-Clark 7th Seaforth Highlanders

STEVENG

Hello I am currently researching this officer who was killed in actIon on the first day of the battle of Loos, I would like to ask where the Seaforths were during the battle and who was in support

and what the casualties were.

I think this off was from a well to do family in Scotland.

regards

From the War Diary (WO95/1765)
Battalion attacked recaptured HOHENZOLLERN REDOUBT and FOSSE 8.....Facing HASINES they were relieved by the Royal Sussex

The above diary has a 5 page appendix that describes the action in detail

The Brigade HQ Diary (WO95/1762) lists the 7th Seaforth casualties as Killed (O/OR) 7/58, Wounded 12/342, missing 1/109

This diary has reports on the action from 8th Gordon Highlanders (2pp), 7th Seaforths (5), 5th Cameron Highlanders (6) and 8th Black Watch (3)

Hello StevenG

I just wondered what your interest was in Struan Robertson Kerr-Clark? My grandmother knew him and his wife Beatrice. He was actually known as Robin. His father was John Kerr Clark and his mother Kate Louise Robertson. He had several sisters who were born in Tasmania and Sydney.

In 1909 he married a daughter of the Earl of Drogheda and in 1910 Robin was the Private Secretary of the Governor of New Zealand. A daughter was born ten days after he died at the Battle of Loos.

His Medal index card gives an address of Brookland Street, Perth (I am not now sure if this is Perth in Scotland or Australia) and this was amended to Maxwell Farm House, Pinner. He is commemorated on the war memorial in St John's Church in Pinner.

Moriaty

Hello Moriaty,

That's really interesting how your grandmother knew him, I have his British War Medal in my collection as I am interested in Scottish regiments during WW1.

I have managed to hopefully get a photo of him I ma just waiting on a reply from someone who says they have a photo.

if you have any other information I would be grateful if you could let me know.

regards Steven

Hi Steven

I have sent you a PM

Cheers Martin B

Heres a bit on him

I have a photo and his service file (i will hunt it out)

Stuart

Captain Struan Robertson Kerr-Clark

Date of death – 25th September 1915

Service – 7th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Place of burial – Unknown. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, panel 112 to 115.

Part of Captain Kerr-Clark’s military career can be found within the following entries in The London Gazette and the Supplement to the London Gazette:

- 9 October 1914, page 8041 – ‘Service Battalions. The undermentioned to be temporary Lieutenants – S R Kerr Clark. Dated 27th September 1914.’ (LG)

- 13 October 1914, page 8134 – ‘Service Battalions. The undermentioned to be temporary Lieutenants – Dated 14th October 1914. Struan Robertson Kerr Clark.’ (LG)

- 18 November 1914, page 9504 – ‘7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, the Duke of Albany’s) The undermentioned to be temporary Captains – Temporary Lieutenant R Kerr-Clarke.’ (SLG)

Death Notice in The Times of 5th October 1915 of the following:

‘Kerr Clark – Killed in action, in France, on the 26th Sept. Robertson Kerr Clark, Captain Seaforth Highlanders, beloved husband of Lady Beatrice Kerr Clark, and elder son of the late John Kerr Clark, and of Mrs Kerr Clark, 35 Great Cumberland Place.’

Reported in The Glasgow Herald of 6th October 1915 of the following:

‘Notes on Officers. Captain R K Clark, Seaforths. Captain Robertson Kerr Clark, Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed in France on September 26, was the elder son of the late John Kerr Clark, and of Mrs Kerr Clark, 35 Great Cumberland Place, London. He married in 1909m Lady Beatrice Moore, sister of the Earl of Drogheda. Captain Kerr Clark was on the staff of two successive Governors of New South Wales as A.D.C and private secretary, and as private secretary to the Governor of New Zealand in 1910. He had travelled much in Australia, Canada, China and Japan, and it was as a result of his study of labour questions and conditions in the overseas Dominions that he decided to take up politics in 1913, when he contested Poplar in the Unionist interest. On the outbreak of war he joined the Seaforth Highlanders, and was gazetted Captain in that regiment a few months later.’

Reported in the Malborough Express (N.Z) of 6th October 1915 of the following:

‘Personal Notes. Captain Clark of the Seaforth Highlanders, aide-de-camp to the Governor of New Zealand in 1910, and Lieut Leslie S Scott, son of the Governor of Fiji, have been killed in France.’ [also in Wairarapa Daily Times (N.Z) and Wangangui Chronicle (N.Z) of 6th October 1915].

Reported in the Press (N.Z) of 6th October 1915 of the following:

‘The Roll of Honour. Captain Kerr-Clark (by Cable) (Received October 5th 11.25 pm) Captain S Robertson Kerr-Clark, of the 7th (service) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, who was private secretary to Lord Islington, Governor of New Zealand in 1910, has been killed in action in France.’

Reported in The Scotsman of 7th October 1915 of the following:

‘Seaforth Highlanders Officer Killed. Captain Robertson Kerr Clark, 7th Seaforth Highlanders, who has been killed in France, was the elder son of the late Mr John Kerr Clark and Mrs Kerr Clark, of 35 Great Cumberland Place, London. He married in 1909 Lady Beatrice Moore, only sister of the Earl of Drogheda.’

Reported in the North Star of 7th October 1915 of the following:

‘Captain R K Clark. Captain Robertson Kerr Clark, Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed in France on September 26, was the elder son of the late John Kerr Clark, and of Mrs Kerr Clark, 35 Cumberland Place. He married in 1909, Lady Beatrice Moore, sister of the Earl of Drogheda. On the outbreak of war he joined the Seaforth Highlanders, and was gazetted captain in that regiment a few months later.’

Reported in The Ross-shire Journal of 8th October 1915 of the following:

‘Seaforth Casualties. Captain Robertson Kerr Clark, 7th Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed in France on September 26, was the elder son of the late John Kerr Clark, and of Mrs Kerr Clark, 35 Great Cumberland Place.’

Reported in the Inverness Courier of 8th October 1915 of the following;

‘Seaforth Highlanders. The Late Captain R. K. Clark, 7th Seaforths. Captain Robert Kerr Clark, 7th Seaforth Highlanders, who has been killed in France, was the elder son of the late Mr John Kerr Clark and Mrs Kerr Clark, of 35 Great Cumberland Place, London. He married in 1909 Lady Beatrice Moore, only sister of the Earl of Drogheda.’

Reported in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette of 9th October 1915 of the following:

‘Mrs Delaval Astley’s Brother Killed. Capt. Robertson Kerr Clark, Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed in France on September 16, was the elder son of the late John Kerr Clark, and of Mrs Kerr Clark. He married, in 1909, Lady Beatrice Moore, sister of the Earl of Drogheda. Capt. Kerr Clark was on the staff of two successive Governors of New South Wales as A.D.C. and private secretary to the Governor of New Zealand in 1910. He had travelled much in Australia, Canada, China and Japan, and it was as a result of his study of Labour questions and conditions in the oversea Dominions that he decided to take up politics in 1913, when he contested Poplar in the Unionist interest. On the outbreak of war he joined the Seaforth Highlanders, and was gazetted captain in that regiment a few months later. Capt. Clark’s family lived at Beaumont, Landsdown, Bath, for several years, and his sister, Miss Kate Kerr Clark, while resident here, married Capt. Delaval G. Astley.’

Reported in The Times of 14th October 1915 of the following:

‘Casualty List of 29 September – Killed – Kerr-Clark, Capt S R, 7th Seaforth Highlanders.’

Reported in The Glasgow Herald of 16th October 1915 of the following:

‘Notes on Officers. Captain Kerr-Clark, Seaforths. Captain Struan Robertson Kerr-Clark, 7th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders (killed in action in France on September 25) resided at Pinner, Middlesex, and was born in 1883. He was the elder son of the late John Kerr-Clark, Great Cumberland Place, London. Captain Kerr Clark married in 1909, Lady Beatrice Minnie Ponsonby Moore, only daughter of the ninth Earl of Drogheda by his marriage with a daughter of the late George Moir, LL.D, Sheriff of Stirling. Captain Kerr-Clark became captain in October 1914. He had been ADC to one Colonial Governor, private Secretary to another, and unsuccessfully contested Poplar in 1913. His widow is the sister of the present and tenth Earl of Drogheda, an Irish representative peer, whose wife is a daughter of Charles Pelham-Burn of Grange Park, Edinburgh, by this marriage with a daughter of the late James Russel of Dundas and Blackbraes.’

Reported in the North Star of 21st October 1915 of the following:

‘Captain Kerr-Clark, Seaforths. Captain Struan Robertson Kerr-Clark, 7th Seaforths (killed in action on September 25) was born in 1883. Captain Kerr-Clark married in 1909, Lady Beatrice Minnie Ponsonby Moore, only daughter of the ninth Earl of Drogheda. His widow is the sister of the present and tenth Earl of Drogheda, an Irish representative peer, whose wife is a daughter of Charles Pelham-Burn of Grange Park, Edinburgh, by his marriage with a daughter of the late James Russel of Dundas and Blackbraes.’

Reported in the Colonist (N.Z) of the 25th November 1915 of the following:

‘Personal. Captain Robertson Kerr Clark, of the Seaforth Highlanders, was killed in the battle of Loos. He was well known as private secretary to Lord Islington in New Zealand and to two Governors of New South Wales.’

Reported in The War Illustrated of 15th January 1916 as follows:

‘Captain R Kerr-Clark, Seaforth Highlanders, was the elder son of the late John Kerr-Clark, of 35 Great Cumberland Place, and the husband of Lady Beatrice Kerr-Clark, only daughter of the ninth Earl of Drogheda.’

Unfortunately his service record sheet as an officer within his Military Records held at Kew, London (WO339/20463) has not survived, and only scant information survives.

His Medal Card noted his entry into a theatre of war as France but with no date given. Address for correspondence given as Lady K Kerr-Clark of Waxwell Farm House, Pinner; formerly of Brookland Street, Perth. Awarded 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Many thanks this is great information and a photo would be very interesting once again may thanks thisofficer certainly had a distinguished carrer

sfarrell, I envy your location, nearly walking distance to Ft George! I'd be at the museum and into the archives at every opportunity. On my only trip to your side of "the Pond", I managed a one day trip to the fort after an all night ride on a sleeper train from London. The bus from Inverness stopped at Ardersier. From there I had to walk by way of the old military road. Thoughts of how many times Highlanders had gone down the same, going to and coming back from Lord knows where raised the hair on my neck. Maybe someday I'll get there again. Wistfully remembering the wind off the Forth over the parapets, from someone who has THEIR memory in his heart if not the blood, Bif

PS Gentleman, pls forgive the digression.

Got carried away by the subject.

Steve

Will try and upload photo.

Bilf - yes Fort george is close but frustrating as at times they have gaps in their records hence all my research.

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Hi, just stumbled across this thread in my search for a few details about this officer. He appears on a local WW1 memorial here in north west, New South Wales, Australia. I have been researching our districts involvement in the Boer War and had found him here as an owner of a large grazing property as well as being a Lieutenant in the 1st Australian Horse. He volunteered to go to the Boer War in 1898 but subsequently stayed in Australia as there were not enough officer placements, instead he ran fund raising evens and recruiting drives. Thanks to all I now have the information I need to complete my research. I would ask a big favor though, it is possible that i may get a copy of his picture as well so I can have a face to go with his story?

Cheers

Geordie

Hi Geordie

I found this photograph of Captain Kerr-Clark in War Illustrated.

Whereabouts is the war memorial in Australia on which he is listed? I assume that the address I had for him in Brookland Street, Perth was Perth in Australia rather than Perth in Scotland?

Moriaty

post-6412-0-84185200-1430489371_thumb.jp

Thanks for the image, is it possible to get a hi res one from anywhere? Looking to publish this in the local history of the Boer War at some stage when the research and writing is over with.

Just to confuse you all a little more, he is on the Monument and the RSL Honour board at Boggabri, north west New South Wales. I have been told that there is a lectern in one of the church's there as well but I haven't sighted it as yet. I've attached a google map link to Boggabri to give you an idea of where it is, and no it's nowhere near Perth, Western Australia.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Boggabri+NSW+2382/@-30.7928754,150.2723679,11z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6ba0bb235aeeedcd:0x40609b49043bd10

Cheers

Thanks Moriaty,

I was able to find the image online at the internet archive, all 10 volumes in good quality PDFs if anyone is interested.

Thanks to all that have posted to this feed, it has filled in a lot of blanks for me. If I can help with any of yours just let me know and I'm see what I can do.

Cheers

Come in Spinner, Glad to be of help, I will be remembering "Robin" Kerr-Clark when I visit the Loos battlefield shortly.

Moriaty

• 4 months later...