Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bradford colliery (Manchester) and WW1 sevice

mancpal

I am hoping to amass a list of all those men who both worked at Bradford Pit and saw service in WW1.

I would prefer name,number and regiment and if possible little of what became of them (dates places etc). I've just become involved in a project relating to the mine and thought this list would prove useful to them. I hope members would not mind me passing on the details as I feel this could be of interest to general genealogists as well as war buffs.I know a roll of honour exists though I haven't yet seen a copy and I am equally interested in survivors.

Thanks

Simon

Simon

The Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour has a comprehensive list of employees who had joined up (it'll be up to around 1916). Unfortunately, no further information other than initial and surname. Manchester Central Library has a copy of the book as, no doubt, will other local history libraries in the metro area.

John

John

I have the list you speak of on CD ROM. It came free with a genealogy magazine a few years back. What I'm hoping for are members who can add detail to those names and also descendants of men who joined other regiments or services. I have a couple of names, one of which survived the war only to be killed in a mining accident not too long after. One of my grandfather's is in the book of honour and also Michael Stedmans "Manchester Pals".

The Colliery project is intended to create a permanent memorial to those who worked there over its 350yr history and create an archive to remember them by.

Thanks

Simon