Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GS - 46644 Cpl SA Mount R Fus - Which Battalion?

davidbomberg

I'd be really grateful for any advice on how to find the Royal Fusiliers Battalion my great-father served in. Can't find his medal card but the family does have his 1914-18 and Victory medals. I believe he was a Lewis Gunner and he definitely lost his leg, probably in 1917. Any suggestions gratefully received as we'd like to try and find where he was during his service - especially when he became a casualty.

Also trying to find the unit and history of my wife's relative CW Cundy who was a 2Lt in 7 Notts and Derby. We're pretty sure he was a temporary gentleman commissioned from the ranks.

Very many apologies if there's a really simple solution to these questions that I've missed and many thanks in anticipation.

David

Assuming he's GS/46644 Corporal Sidney Arthur Mount then according to his British War & Victory Medal Roll (NA Ref. WO329/766) entry he served with the 23rd Bn. Royal Fusiliers on the Western Front from 12/11/1916 to 24/09/1918.

According to his Silver War Badge Roll (NA Ref. WO329/3174) entry he enlisted 24/06/1916 and was discharged according to Para. 392 (xvi) of King's Regulations due to wounds on 12/07/1919. He was awarded badge no. B255656.

To find out where the 23rd (1st Sportsman's) Battalion Royal Fusiliers was during the period you're concerned with then the War Diary can be downloaded from the NA website for £3.30. Link to it is here...http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352010

Regards

Steve

There is a MIC for a Claude William Cundy lived in Surrey, previously 11 Chantry Rd West Bridgford Notts served with the Notts and Derby

There is a MIC for a Claude William Cundy lived in Surrey, previously 11 Chantry Rd West Bridgford Notts served with the Notts and Derby

I believe that this is your man's commissioning from the OCU:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30352/supplement/11026/data.pdf

Dave

post-128-0-06294700-1426512256_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your kind responses - what an amazing of knowledge you have at your fingertips and I really appreciate your generosity in sharing it. I've downloaded 23 R Fus' war diary and we'll try and find him.

We have the MID award certificate for Claude William Cundy which turned up recently with some other bits and pieces during a clear out. Before he was commissioned on 26 October 1917 would he have been in 7 Notts and Derby or another battalion of the same regiment?

Thank again to everyone!

I note that the MIC states 17 Notts and Derby.

Dave

Thanks for help with Sidney Mount - amazingly the history of 23rd Royal Fusiliers is on line at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20377/20377-h/20377-h.htm. Sadly the date his time with the Battalion ends is 24 September when the Battalion is in billets - so not sure when or where he was wounded. Sixty-four other ranks of the Battalion were casualties in the attack on Mount sur L'Ouvres on 30 September 1918.

Very many thanks for the scan of Cundy's MIC; his MID certificate states his Battalion as 7th Notts and Derby - Could his MIC show him to be in the 1/7 Battalion?

Thanks yet again to everyone!

Hi davidbomberg,

Lt. Cundy's Service Record is in the National Archive http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C687370 It will be weeded, but you should still be able to find a full record of his service in it.

If you ask the National Archive for a quote to copy it for you, make sure that you are sat down when you read it. In other posts on the Forum people have said that they are being quoted £100s for a similar service. It would be far cheaper if you can't get to London yourself, to find a local researcher, and pay them to copy it for you.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi davidbomberg,

Lt. Cundy's Service Record is in the National Archive http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C687370 It will be weeded, but you should still be able to find a full record of his service in it.

If you ask the National Archive for a quote to copy it for you, make sure that you are sat down when you read it. In other posts on the Forum people have said that they are being quoted £100s for a similar service. It would be far cheaper if you can't get to London yourself, to find a local researcher, and pay them to copy it for you.

Regards

Chris

You can also ask for a quote to scan certain portions, as opposed to the whole thing. I have done this a few times and saved significantly on the cost.