Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Field Survey Company RE

SapperPhoto

Hello,

Is anyone able to tell me where the 3rd Field Survey RE served or anything more about the unit? My grandfather Bernard Gordon served with them. I have looked for a War Diary through National Archives but so far without success. Any guidance about what search terms I should use gratefully received! Many thanks in advance for your help. Jill

In Feb 1916 3rd Topographical Survey Section expanded to become 3rd Field Survey Company. In 1918 3 FSC expanded to become 3rd Field Survey Battalion. 3rd TSS/FSC/FSB was assigned to 3rd Army.

For details about what they did you need to read Peter Chasseaud's 'Artillery's Astrologers - A History of British Survey and Mapping on the Western Front 1914 - 1918' Basically they did topographical survey, map supply, sound ranging and flash spotting.

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I shall search out a copy of the book. I hope that someone can also tell me whether a War Diary exists for the FSC and where to find it!

Hello Jill, and welcome to the Forum!

It does not look as if there is a surviving war diary for this unit at Kew.

Ron

Dear Ron,

Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

Jill

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for this. I've just found the tab and will have a look. Sadly, the 3rd FSC don't have a specific history listed! My grandfather is elusive!

Best wishes,

Jill