Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western Mail 1915 - digitised yet?

Moriaty

Digitised versions of the Western Mail for 1914, 1916, 1917 and 1918 appear on various websites - British Library Newspaper Archive and Find My Past - but I have been unable to find the 1915 editions.

Does anyone know when the digitised 1915 Western Mail is due to be released?

Moriaty

Thanks for the suggestion, I am pretty sure that the 1915 Western Mail is available on microfilm in the Cardiff Reference Library.

The Western Mail doesnt seem to have been added to the Welsh Newspapers online of the National Library of Wales.

Cardiff University has a digitization project on going. I can't keep up with who has what!

Aber uni has something different to the library going on as well I think.

• 2 weeks later...

British Library Newspaper archive Western Mail is a bit of a mess - 1915 is missing - they couldn't explain why.

The word search is very poor and the organisation of the editions is dreadful.....

Who are you looking for?

The complete edition is in Cardiff Library.

Hello richards13

Yes, Find my Past and the British Library Newspaper archive only carry the Western Mail for 1900, 1914, 1916, 1917 and 1919. Cymru 1914 have nothing for the Western Mail.

My interest is the 6th Battalion Welch Regiment.

It looks as if I will have to go through the microfilm version in Cardiff library.

Moriaty

• 2 weeks later...

I have now discovered that hard copies of the Western Mail for 1915 can be viewed at The British Library in London or in the Reading Room at Boston Spa in West Yorkshire.

Copies for January/March and April/June are in good condition; July/September are in poor condition and October/December 1915 is unfit, ie unviewable.

To view in London, you have to have a British Library Readers' Card and need to give 48 hours notice as they are brought down from storage in Boston Spa.

Moriaty

I think and this a very big think! Something has rung in my head and I believe I might know of a hard copy collection of western mails in south wales. Need a word with my tame librarian. Why Yorkshire has a copy is a oddity.

British Library Newspaper archive Western Mail is a bit of a mess - 1915 is missing - they couldn't explain why. 1915 is certainly missing and 1916 starts at July 1st.

The word search is very poor and the organisation of the editions is dreadful..... Not sure I agree with that. If you use the advanced search it works perfectly well. For example enter Casualties in "The phrase" box, and enter dates 4/August 1914 to 31/Dec 1918 and there are plenty hits Click I have found the BNA search to be excellent, and if it's in there, you can find it.

Mike

Why Yorkshire has a copy is a oddity.

Boston Spa is the northern extension of the British Library, and now that Colindale has closed I believe that most of the newspaper stock has been transferred to Boston Spa for storage and of course it is also available in the Reading Room there.

Boston Spa is the northern extension of the British Library, and now that Colindale has closed I believe that most of the newspaper stock has been transferred to Boston Spa for storage and of course it is also available in the Reading Room there.

Thank you dear chap makes sense now.

Have had a chat with the tame librarian, the hunt is on!