Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N&A Archive Subscription - How much?

sajackr

Did I dream that the annual subscription for the archive was £50 not so many weeks ago?

I've just gone to the website intending to subscribe only to find it has now increased to £95.

Sajackr

You're right, they have gone up by huge amounts. Before Christmas I took out a 30 day sub and it was £4.95, now its £25!!!

Forgive my ignorance. What's the N & A Archive?

Not an impressive selection for what they charge.

I thought as much.

What previously put me off there were no examples to view and I was never clear it was transcriptions or originals, and I would end up with pages and pages of single PDF files that I would not be able to stitch together without purchasing an expensive PDF editor?

It’s either that good it’s worth the huge rise or that bad not many subscribers so trying to re-coop some of their costs, guess I’ll never know now?

Thanks to all for the replies.

Sajackr

I thought as much.

What previously put me off there were no examples to view I was never clear it was transcriptions or originals, and I would end up with pageaand pages of single PDF files that I would not be able to stitch together without purchasing an expensive PDF editor?

It’s either that good it’s worth the huge rise or that bad not many subscribers so trying to re-coop some of their costs, guess I’ll never know now?

Thanks to all for the replies.

Sajackr

The latter I'd bet - Ancestry dropping the medal rolls in to the subscription can't have done them any good at all.

Craig

The images of the pages of the diaries are excellent. Trying to find a specific date is another story. Not sure if it's easier to search with the DVD/Disk, but the website itself is not exactly user friendly.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Are they PDF's or in a format that can easily be joined together to create one file for a particular diary?

R'ds

Sajackr

Thanks Mike,

Are they PDF's or in a format that can easily be joined together to create one file for a particular diary?

R'ds

Sajackr

Not sure the Naval and Military Archive does pdf's. The image of a single page of the diary comes up on the screen, then you can view next page by clicking on the next page number, or jump to page 24, or 300, what ever. Each page can be downloaded individually, but don't think you can download more than one page at a time. Pretty laborious, but it can be done, and you can place them in a file in the right order. Finding the right diary can take time, as they appear to have been uploaded the way they were found, and the search is to my mind, not very good. It can be very useful though. I personally prefer the NA downloads.

Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for the information and your opinion. I have previously used the NA downloads, until I was after a copy of the 1st SLI diary onlyto find (from memory) it was in downloads of about a month or two at £3.30 each which would have cost over £13 for the period I was after.

Thanks again

Sajackr

Mike,

Many thanks for the information and your opinion. I have previously used the NA downloads, until I was after a copy of the 1st SLI diary onlyto find (from memory) it was in downloads of about a month or two at £3.99 each which would have cost a fortune.

Thanks again

Sajackr

It might be worth subscribing for a month or week, whatever. The N & A Archive may be exactly what you require. I have found you can usually download a whole diary from the NA for £-odd. The Brigade diaries seem to contain more information, so less month for pound as it were, but still excellent value for money.

Mike

It is useful for diaries, which I use regularly. I have never found searching a problem, you can choose a single month in a year. Yes you have to look either side of a month to ensure nothing got misplaced - but that's part of the research experience. It is amazing what sort of bits and pieces I have stumbled upon.