Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.B.Kelly R.A.M.C.

Guest windsor

Guest windsor

Looking for help on a Lt; Colonel H.B.Kelly D.S.O. R.A.M.C. 25th division, 77th field ambulance, as I have come into possession of his dress uniform. A starter would be what H.B. stands for as researching the name Kelly is a lost cause. If I can find his Christian names it would help with the research that I myself would attempt ongoing from receiving that information, but any further snippets or guides would be most appreciated.

Thanks...........

Lt Col HB Kelly Att. 77/Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps. Missing in Action 27 May 1918.

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/307680/3/2/

Confirms name as Harry Beatty.

There are 3 cards (Scroll down) for this man and if you type the PA number into the box on the right you will find more details. The final card has a "R" number, so use the Down Arrow and change PA to R, then type in that number for his repatriation details

• 1 year later...

I believe he was the Capt H B Kelly, RAMC, who was also captured in August 1914 and exchanged on 29 June 1915. He is in Cox and Co's British Officer POWS  as Major H Kelly, but he was reported in the Missing List in The Times as Capt H B Kelly on 5 September 1914.

Would he have been the only person to have been a POW twice in the war? 2nd Lt/Brigadier EHW Backhouse (Suffolk Regiment) was a POW twice, but the second time was with the Japanese in Singapore in WW2.

Mike

• 1 year later...

I am the daughter of colonel kelly ramc. I would be happy to help with your research and interested to find out more about my father. 

Edited by Guest
Needed to add something

Some additional info. & sources which may already be know to the above:

The-VC-and-DSO-Volume-III

The 25th Division in France and Flanders 

Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps  Feb 2017 (arrival in Bombay)

JRAMC, 1911; JRAMC, 1908;JRAMC, 1906

H B Kelly  (in Report on the transport of British prisoners of war to Germany) referenced in Violence against Prisoners of War in the First World War: Britain, France ... / By Heather Jones, p.57

Casualties In The Medical Services (repatriation of officers) BMJ 2 (3021 (Nov. 23, 1918)), p.586

Edited by TGM
additional link

He is mentioned in Kincaid-Smith's "The 25th Division in France and Flanders"  For example, in the section dealing with Honours and Awards New Year 1918, he is shown as having been mentioned in despatches.  I believe the book is available as a reprint.

Edwin

• 5 months later...

Captain (later Major) Frank Graham Lescher was HB Kelly's second in command. He is my wife's grandfather and was awarded the MC three times during WW1. This was a busy and exposed unit. The War Diary is available and mostly written by hand by Maj. Kelly as he was then. The diary is available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353354 as a download for £3.50. The reference is WO95/2239/3

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if there are photographs of H B Kelly and Frank Lescher? 

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Forum.

With respect to Frank Lescher, if you don't already have them...

image.png.058a6965abcae818911e5201f4da94ac.png

image.png.adea28bb8bd7b653b75471c52780fd51.png

image.png.5135d5055ac6f570296015263c837423.png

image.png.bf898359a1d800674dd2b83660d00c4a.png

Images sourced from The National Archives

Regards

Chris

• 3 months later...